Chrome Skull Laid to Rest 2 unrated dvd coming sept 20th

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by fceurich39, May 28, 2011.

1. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

2. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Nice!!! I enjoyed the first one so I'm looking forward to this one.

3. fceurich39

4. fceurich39

picked it up today at walmart they have the unrated dvd for only $7.50 must be a price mistake

5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

^ It was $7.50 on DVD at my local Wal-Mart too. No blu-ray though.

They also had Bereavement on DVD for $10. No blu-ray for that either. :(

6. mazon27091

mazon27091 New Member

I was hoping this one would be better than the first, which I did not like. It wasn't, it had the same lack of tension and ludicrous plot developments. Not the worst slasher ever, just a poor one.

I would give it 4/10 and that is for the gore effects which are very nasty looking indeed.

7. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I know where I'm going tomorrow hopefully it's still 7.50.

8. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Where's their Blu price? No more standard DVD purchases for me when there's a Blu available.

9. CPT HOOK

At the store where I saw it, they didn't carry the blu-ray at all. DVD only.

My blu-ray is on the way from Amazon.

10. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I live in a small town with just a wal-mart, so I'm gonna have to settle for the dvd & see about getting the blu later.

11. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I picked up the DVD yesterday and watched it when I got home. I was disappointed in this. Yeah, the kills were neat, but that's about it. I've already put my copy up for sale on half.com. Never did see the first one, and I doubt I will after checking out this sequel.

12. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

$7.50 must be the right price as that's what it was here also. Also, no blu-ray in store. I broke down and just bought the dvd since it was cheap enough and I didn't think BD would be worth more than double that price (after checking dvdpricesearch on my blackberry BD would've cost at least $18). I dug the film but should be fine with the dvd. Thought I was done with dvd as well, but couldn't resist this esp. as I was ready to re-watch the first film anyway, and really wanted to see both last night. No shipping fast enough for that, and no stores in town carry the BD.

13. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I honestly enjoyed this one more than the first film. The plot was mindless again, but it was still fun. The Danielle Harris role seemed rather underdeveloped and crying out for more potential, but maybe that's for another sequel.

The Blu-ray has a really nice transfer (pretty sure it was shot in HD) and a solid DTS HD-Master track. Image can put together a nice disc when they want to.

14. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

Don't say that to loud you might encourage them lol.

15. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

I thought for sure this would be a safe blind buy since I dug the original, but christ I'd love to have that money back. This was flat out terrible. The only thing this flick has going for it is the kills, that's it. You can easily tell the movie was made by someone who started in special effects work because the kills are amazing, but the story and script are honestly laughably bad.

16. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Saw this the other day and really enjoyed it. Awesome kills and I didn't think the story was that bad. They could have explained a bit more in the story but I still enjoyed it. I liked this one a lot more than the first. Plus now that Chromeskull is disfigured he feels more like a slasher icon in the vein of Jason.

Don't see why this is getting so much hate. Bring on another one.

17. CPT HOOK

Here is a review I posted on another forum:

The first Laid To Rest was far from perfect, but it did have a lot to offer. I really enjoyed that it was a slasher flick that hit the ground running. I liked that it took place over the course of one long night, and I liked the quiet small town location. The acting wasn't great, but I did like the actors and their characters. Plus, the gore was plentiful!

This sequel keeps the gore, actually amping it up even further. This flick was a splatter-fest, with blood and gore flying left and right. But that is really all this movie has to offer. There is a lot they could have done here, but instead the film decided to explore the least interesting aspects of the first film. What we end up with is a sequel that is trying to imitate the later Saw movies.

Thomas Dekker returns as one of the main characters this time, and unfortunately he was my least favorite character in the first film. They should have killed him off in the first film, and they sure as hell shouldn't have given him such a large part in this sequel. Horrible character, and horrible actor. Brian Austin Green isn't really capable of handling the material he is given here, his character is basically the same as Costas Mandylor's character in the Saw films. Mimi Michaels gives an impressive performance though, I wish the movie had focused more on her character.

The first film was largely through the perspective of the victims. In this film, the perspective changes mainly to Chromeskull himself and the police hunting him. Because of that, it comes off as a cold, passive, and impersonal cop drama scattered with buckets of gore throughout. Technically the film looks great, and is made better than the first one. But the atmosphere and fun of the first film is gone. I prefer to think of Chromeskull as he was in the first film, a lone psychopath under the guidance of a creepy funeral director. It is much creepier than how he is presented here, part of some formal organization with a bunch of people working behind the scenes.

The movie isn't entirely awful, it did keep my interest all the way though. But it just wasn't the sequel I was hoping for. Not even close.

Though be sure to stick around after the credits. There is a pretty important scene hiding there.

18. fallon6190

fallon6190 Member

Sucks that it goes in such a different direction than the first film. I picked this one up but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

19. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I bought this as a blind buy, because I liked the first one. I wish I hadn't! What a piece of fucking shit!! I can't tell you how much I hated this film! I hadn't seen the first one in a while, so I did a double feature last night. The first one still holds up as a good film, but I want to forget about this one and its major departure from the first film. It continues immediately after the first film ends and I can suspend my disbelief as good as anyone and can accept certain things, but this pushed me to my limits!!

First of all, the guy had his face burnt away then demolished with a baseball bat. They saved him? Really??? There wasn't anything to lead you to believe he was supernatural. Also, the mask was pretty much melted, but they bring it out in mint condition. This ridiculousness aside, the fact that he works within this network of people that clean up after him is absurb! Why the hell would they do this? The pay is that good? He's that important? Since they went that route, they really needed to explain a hell of a lot more! Then the Brian Austin Green character goes to clean up and leaves the body and the phone he was searching for. I know he turns out to be a rogue agent, but really?? Also, Danielle Harris' performance as his underwing was so wooden and ridiculous, almost amateurish. She looked like an actress in a high school production. They really needed to explain more about this group and the reason behind it. Especially since, at the end of the credits, they show Chromeskull's pregnant wife not knowing anything about her husband's activities. So, he's a normal guy with a family that goes out and rips people to shreads for no apparent reason? Why does he pick certain people?? I've got so many axes to grind with this film. We have crazy geography. I thought they were in North Carolina, then you hear the cop say there's a warehouse in Miami 50 miles away and then you hear Cobb County, which is Georgia. What glaring continuity fuck ups!! Also, I know it is a horror troupe, but does any cop in this film know how to shoot? And the end with the FBI coming. This was just a set up for another film. I think it would have been better to be consistant and let those guys be another part of the organization and have the girl killed at the end. Speaking of the girl, they made it very known that she was almost blind. I thought they would use this as a plot element or use it to their advantage in the script, but alas, no. What was the point then?? Lastly, the girl has a cell phone. They don't search her?? Yeah, they have this great device that messes with the call, but it doesn't affect her GPS!! WOW!! I can go on and on. This film SUCKED!!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  20. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

About Danielle Harris, I just recently re-watched Halloween IV and couldn't help notice she was much better as a child actress than as an adult IMO. Her recent roles in Hatchet II and Stakeland have not done much for me, though she was better in Stakeland.
    Cute girl though.