City Of The Living Dead special 25th Anniversary dvd?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Crystal Plumage, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

It's been rumored it will be released next year!
    Can't give you more details now (because I have none).
    Don't know who will be releasing it (AB/Blue Underground??).
    Although not my favorite Fulci my AB dvd could do with an upgrade.

2. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

That would be awesome!!!

3. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

It says on the DVD Maniacs forum that Media Blasters/Shriek Show will be releasing it.

4. betterdan

betterdan Guest

The old dvd is the grainiest dvd I have ever seen so if they can clean it up a little better I'd buy it.

5. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I will definitely be buying the City Of The Living Dead 25th Anniversary DVD when it comes out next year, AKA Gates of Hell. I currently have the DVD, but I will double dip if there are some extras on the DVD. I think the best Fulci movies are Zombie; City Of The Living Dead; and House by The Cemetary.

6. I don't know about that, Betterdan. I think that cleaning up these old horror flicks cause them to lose both their appeal and creep factor. For instance, the House by the Cemetary DVD somewhat lessened my opinion of that film. My VHS copy was far darker thus making it far more frightening. When they clean up these old movies, they usually end up too bright which results in less atmosphere and totally ruined special effects(such as strings and clear definition between skin and latex). Horror is better dark and gritty. For example, take some of today's better horror videogames like Fatal Frame 2 and the Silent Hill series. They have intentional grain filters to help aid the depressive mood. In my opinion, I think one of the big reasons today's films don't compare to the films of the sixties, seventies, and early eighties is the fact they are far too polished.

7. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

I'll buy it. I was really impressed with the work that Media Blasters/Shriek Show did on "Zombi 2". I'm sure this will be another great release too.

8. dwatts

dwatts New Member

COTLD is right up there with Dead and Buried in grainy movies. In the case of COTLD, I'm not sure if it is to be expected.

9. Night Goat

Night Goat Guest

Watching the grainy DVD of COTLD reminds me of renting the American version, The Gates of Hell. If memory serves me correctly, the old VHS version was almost unwatchable because grain and poor framing (pan and scan). Since this was my first introduction to the world of Fulci, I like the "dirty" DVD for sentimental reasons.

10. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I am aware that a lot of old horror movies were originally grainy and not the best looking but I doubt COTLD looked as grainy as the old AB dvd upon it's theatrical debut. I have no problems with companies cleaning up a print and presenting it in a matter that is closer to what it looked like upon it's original release. Cleaning up a print in itself is not bad. It is when they mess with color, contrast, etc. and change it from the way it was meant to be seen is what is bad.
    If people want to compare a movie to it's old vhs release that is understandable as that is probably where they first saw it and remember it from but remember film is a lot higher resolution than any dvd and certainly more than vhs so I would rather have it look closer to the film version and not vhs.
    So like I said if they can clean it up a little more I would buy it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2004
  11. ArrowBeach

ArrowBeach Active Member

if it isn't BU or AB, forget it!

12. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I've no problems with Anchor Bay's release, grain or otherwise. I will not be upgrading.

13. Night Goat

Night Goat Guest

I happily purchased Shriek Show's version of Zombi 2, so I'll be happy to get their COTLD. I was extremely pleased with Zombi 2 and I figure COTLD is good enough a film to warrant a double purchase.

14. krugerkid13

krugerkid13 Guest

shriek show is quickly working its way up to being one of my favorite release comp. So i will def. be buying this

15. Spacevis

Spacevis There's some Dettol in the jeep!

I have the old Dutch EC release. How does it compare to the AB disc?

16. jlynn33

jlynn33 New Member

I remember when this came out (dating myself here). We went to the theatre to see it and the place was packed. By the last 15 mins. everyone had ran out (hand over mouth) and only 4 of us stayed til the end. We laughed and all talked about what a great movie it was all the way out. :evil:

17. CABAL2004

CABAL2004 Guest

"It is when they mess with color, contrast, etc. and change it from the way it was meant to be seen is what is bad"

You HAVE to 'mess' with contrast, gamma etc. when doing the telecine. Video is a
    entirely different beast than celluloid.

Nich

18. betterdan

betterdan Guest

You don't HAVE to change it from the way it was meant to be seen though. Meaning you don't have to make scenes too saturated, too bright etc.

19. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

According to some the EC dvd is not as grainy as the AB version:
    I don't know,haven't seen it....

20. CABAL2004

CABAL2004 Guest

Well, meant to be seen is tough, considering the number of different film
    prints around the world, in different cinemas. All of these looking different.
    I, for one, prefer video's ability to produce black to the bad CR that you
    get in almost all cinemas. Of course, celluloid own the rest of the image
    quality. :)

I think meant to be heard is more critical, for example Scissor Sisters' version
    of a certain Floyd song. Now THAT'S a crime :eek:

Nicholas