City Of The Living Dead (Special Edition)

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by springjack, Mar 17, 2010.

1. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I'm looking forward to this new addition. Love the film. I had gotten rid of the NTSC EC Entertainment version in '02 but I recently repurchased it (as I will most of EC's NTSC releases).
    Blu Ray is next...for sure

2. Criswell

Criswell New Member

I know we have had this discussion at various times, but seriously, i tried to watch this again last week and i just cannot stand the bloody thing, and i am big Fulci fan. Yes the gore is great, but all the disappearing zombies???????? i still cannot work that out. To me he had an idea for a film but it just did not work out and eventually they just seemd to make it up as they went along.

3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Clearly they're meant to be less like stereotypical zombies and more of an amalgam of different undead creatures. Ghosts have been known to take corporeal form and disappear at will, as can vampires.

4. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

Italian film makers were/are notorious for doing that shit. At least in this films defense this actually got a huge theatrical run. Unlike all the DTV Horror dumb shit being made today. This film was a huge success like Maniac was back in the day. Films like this will never see the day of light ever again. Sorry the pathetic fucking SAW franchise doesn't count. The films of yesteryear were not corporate made horse shit like today. I'm also sick & tired of these no talent barbie doll pin up wannabe actress. Along with these sucky ass new Directors aligning they're wallets for cash payoffs.

5. wago70

I remember seeing this at the 2nd run theater in 1983 - out front, on the sidewalk under the one sheet poster was dried puke. Lovely. We snuck into the early co-feature which was ZOMBIE which, by then, was scratchy and faded to hell. We were two of three people in the audience. Then came GATES OF HELL - and the theater filled to capacity. I remember thinking it was such a glossy looking feature and I didn't even notice the dubbing (as I did with ZOMBIE). Someone was humming the end tune as we left the theater and, to me, it was exactly the same as ZOMBIE's tune. hehehe good times. Wish I had clipped the newspaper ad (as I did when it played L.A. as TWILIGHT OF THE DEAD).

6. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Another "special edition" is coming our way:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Extras include:

So yes, it really looks great! It's a very nice package....

For $175..??!!

Hmmm... perhaps not..

---------------------

Think I'll buy me an Arrow DVD in stead :D

7. BlackAndBlu81

BlackAndBlu81 New Member

Ill end up buying all three versions. The set you've just shown and both blu-rays.

8. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I dunno, that set does look pretty sweet and as badly as I'd now like to own one, imo, it's also pretty weak considering the fact that we have not 1 but 2 BD editions of this movie coming out next month and that one is just DVD. Then there's the price... (wonder how much it will cost to ship one of those overseas...)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  9. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Member

Can anyone confirm if the special features will play on region a players?

sean

10. dvdfan

dvdfan Member

As long as your player can do PAL, you shouldn't have any problems with the special features. Probably one of the easiest ways to test this is to get ahold of a region free PAL DVD. If your BluRay player can play it, you are good to go.

11. fart_mike

fart_mike New Member

wondering if U.S. playstation 3s will have problems with Arrow's blu rays...really wanting to get the dawn, day and city blus...

12. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

That's my worry. Can someone please come back and confirm their COTLD plays on a PS3 when they get it?

Haven't bought a dvd in a while, I want this return from retirement not to suck. I know I am in the minority when I say the extras are not an issue, I would just like to be able to say to myself "I am watching Gates of F! Hell on Blu"

13. dvdfan

dvdfan Member

From what I have read, the US PS3 cannot play region free PAL DVDs. You will get this error message: "Video in the PAL broadcast standard is not supported"

What this means for Arrow's City of the Living Dead is the PS3 will be able to play the movie since HD is HD there is no NTSC/PAL, however the special features will probably be standard definition which means they will be PAL and the PS3 will be unable to play them.

14. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

Can't you say that in a month when Blue Underground releases their Blu-ray of City of the Living Dead?

15. fart_mike

fart_mike New Member

i guess this is a big no for me, then...already having dawn and day blus, and awaiting blue underground's city, my main draw to the arrow releases are the features (well, the packages look amazing also)...bummer...

16. wago70

Love that box set. I didn't see a date listed, however. Have they provided that?

17. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Forgot about the BU version as this thread got heavy on the Arrow. Then the Arrow release isn't that big of a deal then. Still nice packaging tho.

18. PtG

PtG Guest

I'm planning on buying the Blu-ray from Blue Underground and the two disc DVD from Arrow Video... you can never have too many copies of City of the Living Dead!

19. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

True Dat. I like your like your style.

20. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I'll get the Arrow blu as I can watch the film on my PS3 and watch the extras on my blu-ray player on my PC.