Classic/Famous Horror Films You Don't Like

Discussion in 'General' started by Zombie Dude, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

And to add a contribution, while it's not really "classic" or "famous", a lot of people seem to really dig Session 9. I've given it two tries, and find it absolutely terrible.

2. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Lost Boys can't stand it, never understood the love for it and Return of the living dead 2, i despise this movie, I have a passion of hatred for it.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

RE: The Lost Boys. To me, the biggest sin it is guilty of is the tepid version of People Are Strange by Echo and the Bunnymen. And I'm a WAY bigger fan of Echo than I am of The Doors, so it's not that. Anytime an online message board has a "best cover version" thread, someone invariably lists that turd. If you press them on it, you'll eventually find out that they're a huge fan of The Lost Boys.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  4. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

The Lost Boys is best enjoyed in a Brat Pack/80s kinda of way rather than a horror movie. If you think of it in the same way as Can't Buy Me Love it's way more fun.

5. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

(SPOILERS)

I was definitely one of the people giving it a rave when I first watched it in 2011- during one of the Halloween marathons. I gave it an 8/10.

But I've rewatched it. I still think parts of it work. I'd give it a 6/10 now. But I've also seen the director's 90's romantic comedy, Next Stop Wonderland, and that thing sucked. So... I'm thinking maybe Session 9 was a fluke at best.

As for The Lost Boys, versus Near Dark, it's just Corey Haim who I can't stand / who is too obnoxious to take. And, of course, Jason Patric's entire character is a melodramatic drip. But that I can deal with- the movie's soundtrack really, really, really works melodramatic like a fish in water. Not just that, of course, but the BREATH-TAKING camerawork and cinematography and color and make-up effects and ... It's an amazing, amazing looking movie. The story is all kinds of flawed but it's always going to be an amazing experience as filmmaking. All this Ghostbusters talk recently has unfortunately dulled my hyperbole and I'm going to sound like I'm overshooting this movie in terms of how great a watch it is, visually / aurally.

I'm not.

Of course, I haven't watched it in a few years and time has a way of changing that. But, I think every Suspiria, every Halloween kind of proves that if the music is right... you've got a great movie right there. And can anyone argue Schulmacher's movies don't look spectacular? I'm saying the movie is at least a 7/10 just based on aesthetic quality.

Oh... and I don't think Schumacher really wanted to make a horror film by the standards of that time (pre-Hellraiser, of course). Though there have been plenty of horror films that tried to use tragedy or existential confusion as the driving emotion instead of actual terror in most of their scenes- ideal examples being Freaks or Possession or Santa Sangre or Dead Ringers.

Fair enough. I would never want to enjoy a movie like this as anything more than as a product of its time. (And I'm hardly the one who wants to keep the 80's alive forever.)

Like The Human Centipede and Halloween 6: The Producer's Cut, I know I have my very, very fine line in the sand when it comes to ideas in a film that utterly destroy the entire thing with no chance they could work. At all. No way at all. Casual incest is one of them. If you're going to put it in your film, you have to treat it like it means something. Not like this is Nothing but Trouble and it's just a joke. Just another Friday night at the freak's house. The Black Christmas remake, from all the clips I've seen of the moment in question, does exactly that. That's not horror. It's stupid.

I was really, really, really into the look of the film and everything, but that transphobic twist is something else. Way more shameful than Craven's why-the-fuck ending to Deadly Blessing.

The Omen is only entertaining when it's trying to be shrill and screechy. Talk about long for the sake of being long. (Ditto for the first 2 sequels.) And, speaking of zombies, how about that Gregory Peck? He'd make a great Frankenstein.

And, zombies themselves (used to be) slow and a metaphor for mechanical, emotionless, drone-like behavior. So, it's a perfect match for a film commentary on consumerism. I'm sorry you don't get the pleasure but when you compare it to Fulci's Zombie, it's like you're objecting to the type of movie it is and not the way it's made. Which makes me think you should just rewatch it. (Presuming you haven't since 2014.)

I'm afraid if most people make their horror experience all about the visceral, they'll just stop watching the 70's altogether since it can't compare to in-your-face jumpscare millennial fare.

I have to admit liking Amityville more than The Omen- it sort of admits that it's schlock right off the bat and never pretends to be anything more. It's a little too lowkey about the shocks, if you can believe that. But sometimes it's actually fun. The Omen is a chore. And, unlike let's say Dawn of the Dead, there's no reason that it's so dull. The opening works okay, because it's focused on the "now we're going to be so h'y'appy, dahhling" soap opera of their lives with a freaking evil devilchild hellspawn. But when that damn Priest comes in: the fun gets zapped right out of everything. "Mista Thorn, I only care about saving myself pretending to care about saving you and the world from this evil child you adopted!" We know, you asshole. We know.

(Sorry for using your post to keep talking about The Omen. But, it's like people know they're exalting it because it's dusty and acts like it's important and cultured and historical. More like a relic than a compelling timepiece.)

6. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Im with you on the song, but really to me the ultimate sin of The Lost Boys is how ridiculously easy it was to vanquish every single vampire in the movie.

7. DVD-fanatic-9

At least none of them died by sunlight.

Whether they died "easy" or not is inconsequential. They were meant to die by more inventive means than most films that had come before. And that, the film achieved.

8. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

I think The Lost Boys works because of its delicious 80s cheese (the look: the hair, the vampire punk-goth clothes; the Santa Carla 80s scene; Haimster & Feldog), its quotable lines, its soundtrack, and Kiefer. By 80s vampire film standards, it is "safer" than, say Near Dark, but it has an edge given its explosive kills (the gang-gorge in the desert; the final scene) and fangs-out menace of Kiefer's gang. It also has a romance that, while drippy, is never as forward as the unmentionable vampire films of a few years ago.

Of course, all of this is an acquired taste, and none of it is scary. It's a guilty pleasure. I don't know anyone who takes it seriously as a horror film.

9. DVD-fanatic-9

The unfortunate / uncomfortable thing about The Lost Boys is that it started out as a film for kids, with kids in most of the roles. Even though they changed that and made the vampires an average age of about 20, give or take months or a year, it's not framed as the struggles of a teenager/early 20-something trying to stay human for his own sake. Nothing inside him winds up mattering- he has to do it (return to normality / not go off and become immortal and enjoy all the things that tagline promised us the audience we'd be watching) for the sake of his family... meanwhile, he's definitely of-age to leave the nest. So: even though they made becoming a vampire more attractive, they were never able to scrape off the sappy 80's family values that teens and 20's audiences haven't wanted to watch for years.

It's half a fantasy for teens to completely leave the world... and half a "snap out of it!" wake up call to stay right on the ground even though you're old enough to make your own decisions.

10. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

They're not classic by any means, rather infamous, but I have no tolerance for:
    I Spit On Your Grave and its remakes and sequels.
    Last House On The Left and its remake.
    I realize Last House was an important film and superior to ISOYG but it's not for me.
    I am also consistently underwhelmed by the first Friday The 13th, it might have been pioneering but everything it tried to do Part II did better in my opinion.
    Also, The Burning is far more interesting to me as far as these slasher films go.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  11. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I think Friday the 13th and Friday the 13 Part 2 are basically the same movie.

~Matt

Anthropophagus likes this.
  12. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I've never been able to appreciate MADMAN. However, I picked it up on the Arrow sale and am going to make myself give it another shot. Same with EATEN ALIVE, although I suspect it's less popular than MADMAN.

13. Anthropophagus

I was thinking of Madman just today and I agree with your sentiments.
    Eaten Alive I just enjoy for that decrepit, creepy atmosphere as a film it's kinda blah.

14. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I mentioned it in another thread but...

The Shining.

I feel Nicholson was miscast and the whole thing is incredibly boring. I get why its considered a classic but It puts me to sleep.

15. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives
    -> A joke, an even bigger one considering so many consider it a favorite. Like, this one is the best? Really? Do you even horror?

Intruder
    -> The weird shots are useless, annoying, film school nerdy... and the good death scenes are placed in between a lot of negativity.

The Abominable Dr Phibes
    -> Really boring, but not as dull as:
    Theater of Blood
    -> Also with Vincent Price. I think it's about as interesting as The Flesh and Blood Show. Give me Price in Madhouse over these two.

16. MisterTwister

You can hate Jason Lives all you want. It's your right. But don't insult the people who actually enjoy it.

You're better than that BB.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    othervoice1 and Anthropophagus like this.
  17. Anthropophagus

As far as the F13 franchise goes it's in my top three.
    The thing is it is part horror and part satire, a very self aware entry that predates the Scream films and in many ways succeeds better than many of those Scream sequels did.
    I love the in-jokes and the renewed vibrancy of the film, sure it could have used more gore and ass but other than that it was a nice departure.
    As sequel number five it really had no right to be this good, no other franchise provided sequels this entertaining so late in the game.
    They tried to deviate from the formula for Part V with very mixed results, though I love the grindhouse feel of that one too.
    Part VI was also a shift into new territory but with broader appeal.
    The pacing is tight and it never gets boring.
    Hell, as a kid I loved it enough that I sought out the novelization at my local used bookstore.
    I could care less about being insulted for my taste in film, par for the course with social media.
    To each his own, and I respect those that abhor this film for whatever their reasons.

18. MisterTwister

It's probably my #2. I love it and find it to be an incredibly fun slasher film.

Can I understand some fans disliking it? Yep but I felt it was a necessary film after the ultra sleazy Part V (a film I love however)

DVD-fanatic-9 and Anthropophagus like this.
  19. Anthropophagus

Yeah, I'm weird in my F13 appreciation.
    My fave used to be Part IV for the stellar cast and copious gore. Jason was badass in that one.
    Gorgeous female cast, and Lawrence Monoson, Peter Barton and Crispin Glover were pretty cool.
    I think I burnt out on it a little though and now it's:

1) Part II
    2) Part V
    3) Part VI

I totally get why Part V gets a fair share of hatred but I must give the film-makers credit for throwing an audience expecting the same old slasher routine a curveball.
    Oh yeah, Debisue Voorhees didn't hurt either. Lol.

MisterTwister likes this.
  20. MisterTwister

I respect a person who has Part V that high. I remember getting so much shit on Bloody Disgusting for ranking it high myself.

I just love the sleazy grindhouse-esque vibe of it all. And like you said....Debisue Voorhees.....