Classic/Famous Horror Films You Don't Like

Discussion in 'General' started by Zombie Dude, Mar 19, 2014.

1. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

If you say so.

I was irked a little with the comment but definitely did not "went off on you" If you want me to truly get pissed at you let me know and I'll send you a PM. If my harmless little comment lit your panties on fire this one will send you to the looney bin!

2. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

If you say my comment is insulting people, it appears as if you took it as harmful. I take that to heart, as I do not want to attack the intelligence or character of others. I simply stated my thoughts on the popularity of a particular film as mind boggling to me when it comes to fitting in a horror setting. If it wasn't that bothersome, and you're not being defensive, then I do not understand the need to claim that it was insulting in the first place... You struck first...

Whatever.

3. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Paff wasn't wrong about Carrie and he's not wrong about TCM either. It's not the scariest horror film or technically the most thrilling. But, even my saying that suddenly makes me feel like we're having that Dawn of the Dead discussion again. SLOW BURN, people. That's why the 70's is the best decade for horror. It gives you all this time to catch up with it, lets you get inside of it and live through what the actors / characters are going through.

I always thought the feeling of watching the characters in terror as they begin departing from - let's say - that adrenaline-pumped ideal of moment-by-moment "reality" / sanity is introduced by the movie's frequent thematic inclusion of all the astrology talk.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Am I wrong, or is that image in the first pic (during Daniel Pearl's credit) a kind of boiling star/planet? Or, the sun? And what about all the shots of the characters being the smallest part of the frame- posed against gigantic skies, or other objects? One of the most effective shots in the movie (and there are SO MANY great ones) is Leatherface passing by a tree as he chases Sally and the way the tree moves through the frame as he passes it is so freaking amazing. Like it itself is making a move toward the audience. Or when "the cook" gets into his truck and almost every single one of the shots are in constant motion.

[​IMG]

And, my favorite shot in the movie. Look at how the camera films it. Look how freaking tiny he is. The windows are taller than he is. It's details like this that again remind me why I hate the millennium so much- you never find that kind of thinking anymore like you see right here. Reality isn't "real," it's what you make of it. Or what the filmmaker makes of you.

othervoice1, Mok and Harry Warden like this.
  4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Lol, might have to check it out then assuming these some entertainment to be had.

As for the TCM discussion, I'll add that the film had to grow on me but I appreciate it a lot more now. The recent release looks great and makes watching it much more enjoyable. The older transfers were a bit too beat up for my taste.

Anthropophagus likes this.
  5. MisterTwister

I'll be the bigger man and admit I did wrong. Sorry.

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

All true. I still don't like it.

It has a good first opening, but once it gets to Franklin it goes way too far down hill and never recovered for me. I was just too annoyed to feel any other emotions and just keep looking at my watch in irritation. Yes there are some nice set pieces but by the time we finally got to them I was in no mood for them. It's also why I haven't watched it more than a couple of times. It's just too stupid in the beginning. I don't like the kids. I don't like the cannibals. And I don't much like hick settings. So there's just nothing there for me. The grainy beat up prints is just about all I do enjoy of it, as it is shot very well, but even that's been fixed up now.

Children Shouldn't Play with Dead things is similar in that the first act with the characters is so annoying no amount of excellence in its set pieces can save it. Although I feel CSPWDT redeemed itself more than TCM does. Also Last House on the Left because of those fucking comic relief cops. I have better use of my time than to watch any of these three with the end result being simply irritated.

TCM is way too annoying to be close to being scary for me. It's something that I've brought up before in this thread but even my favorite horror films never scared me. So it's not something I look for in a good horror movie.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  7. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Great post. You know by looking at that house that he is in eminent danger. Almost like the house has borne witness to the danger and insanity inside for way too long, yet at the same time, it could simply be any ordinary farmhouse. The windows are menacing, yet they have drapes. Very weird. It's almost like the owners are trying very hard to appear, for the lack of a better word, normal. Normal enough to lure somebody inside, and then, and only then, does one realize they've made a terrible mistake. The scene when the young woman walks into the house. Everything appears quiet, and then she stumbles and falls into the living room(?) and low and behold, she quickly realizes her mistake. What is behind those curtains is macabre and as she attempt to quickly flee back to normality, her world turns to shit in the blink of an eye. The imagery in TCM is amazing.

buck135 and DVD-fanatic-9 like this.
  8. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

The Sweet House of Horrors Trailer-Spoilers Ahead.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Especially his first line.

Harry Warden and DVD-fanatic-9 like this.
  10. Zombie Dude

Haha, well turns out I've actually seen this one. I can't forget that cringy voice the little boy has. Must have blocked it out of my memory as that trailer reminded me how bad it was!

DVD-fanatic-9 and Anthropophagus like this.
  11. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Ha ha, the mind will at least attempt to protect you from the scarring of cinematic atrocity via obscured memory. Lol.
    Remember, I mentioned much beer would be required to appreciate this one. ;)

Zombie Dude likes this.
  12. Zombie Dude

I don't think I drink enough to enjoy this one :p

13. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

In light of the new 4K transfer of Phantasm, I'll add that film as a movie I've never understood the love for.

14. Zombie Dude

Well the score is one thing that I think is amazing. I also like the end where you can interpret that all the events that happened were in Mike's head and he had created these fantastical events as a coping mechanism as he couldn't deal with the loss of his brother. That always came across as pretty powerful to me.

15. MisterTwister

100% agreed.

othervoice1 and Zombie Dude like this.
  16. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I guess I can see that. I grew up on Phibes so I have always dug it, but maybe I've seen it so often that it doesn't hold my interest as much as it used to. If I was 10-20 years younger I really couldn't say how it would play for me. I still consider it a triumph of set design and black humor, and very much a precursor to the slasher genre a decade later with every kill being unique. Overall, I don't think that it is any more "boring" than most british horror of that period. Same goes for Theater of Blood.

17. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I actually have always like the film because it was so different, but, yeah, I have to admit it really is a weird film. It does have it's creepy part though.