Classic Horror fans are you out there?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Horrorfan, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Horrorfan

Horrorfan New Member

From the look at the boards is there no love for the golden oldies?

2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Huh - I post on here quite a bit. :)

3. Copyboy

Copyboy Member

I'm more of a browser than a poster, but I love the oldies. I can't believe that I actually know people who won't watch older movies because they "don't like black and white." I find that these are generally the same people who don't like the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen because they want to see the "whole picture."

4. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Member

Dude do you know Brian Fenerty? LOL My buddy has the same two problems you just mentioned,he hated watching the originak KING KONG and hates widescreen.Its a shame that people cant see past two of the things that makes movies,movies.

Sean

5. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I was actually enter my Sadist (1963) post in there but I thought it would get lost to easy:)

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

How about silents that are colorized? :D

Ironically Horrorfan you bring this up when realistically the past month this board has seen more action then perhaps the previous year put together. The vast majority of users on HorrorDVDs are 80's Slasher fans. The Euro section has a pulse but it isn't steady. It would seem there's more talk about SOV movies then B&W films.

Kinda funny that I remain here at all as Slashers aren't a genre that interests me much. I'm probably the only member of the board that hasn't seen Friday the 13th or A Nightmare on Elm Street.

7. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I think it's based on the average age of the people here to be honest, what we grew up with. One of my favorites is Nosferatu - but others missed that at the cinema. :lol:

8. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

To be honest I am not a big fan of Slashers, other than a handful of them.

I LOVE classic monster movies!

9. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I'm discovering the classics all the time. I've completely shut myself off from the current stuff. The classics are so much fun!
    I keep watching RETURN OF THE VAMPIRE over and over.
    I love the Sam Katzman set. Any of the original Universal Mummy films - I'll watch at any time.

10. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Yeah, that's a really good one, isn't it? You can't beat the classics really. Wait until you start on the silents (if you haven't already.)

11. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I consider myself a fan of the classics. I'm 40 years old so when I was a kid we got to see them all on TV in the early 70's. To tell you the truth though, a lot of them don't hold up seeing them now. Or maybe I'm just being overly critical.

X-Human- I'm assuming you're joking that you've never seen Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street, right?

12. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Active Member

have a lot of classic movies (not only in horror genre i must say), i especially loved the legacy sets, got them dirt cheap and they provide great entertainment

these classic movies are always handled with some class and respect for the material, watched the Creature With The Atom Brain last week (great Sam Katzman box) and I enjoyed it a lot

13. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Did you have something specific in mind? I'm enjoying them more and more these days, and am currently digging into some poverty row titles...

14. I would say I'm an uneducated fan of classic movies, in that I enjoy and appreciate them but there are so many that I haven't seen (and probably tons that I haven't even heard of) that I'm not all that knowledgeable about the subgenre. My favorite movies are the ones that offer a version of reality that is recognizable yet distinctly broken from our own (Hellraiser, Pan's Labyrinth, etc.), and I think classic movies do a wonderful job of providing that, even if only because they were filmed in a world that was very different from our own. It's good stuff and I wish I had more time to explore them.

15. MrVess

MrVess Guest

Well, not much is happening in the small world of classic horror, news-wise. Although when something does happen, it's often worth the wait - see the recent release of "Nosferatu", for instance. :D

16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yes and no. There are other classic horror boards that are just hopping with posts, even about the now static Universal Classics. But it's all about membership, as those are devoted boards. Obviously we can't expect that level of dedication, but I think that a dip now and then in this forum would be great.

Like when dwatts watched that Boris Karloff boxset and posted his thoughts, I joined in as I watched them all this past Halloween. If whenever we watch a classic movie we do a search for an old thread or start a new thread just to post a few thoughts others can chime in too.

I'm going through the AIP's right now and have been focusing in on one thread I made. Just a little bit, not a lot.

No joke, I've seen Halloween though. I'll get around to 'em eventually.

17. dwatts

dwatts New Member

This is avery common issue on sites such as this. Most people seem to only want to talk about new DVD releases - whether they be new films or old films. If it's not a new release, then not much chat is going on. It's a pity, I'd love to find a site where people talk about films in general, rather than having one driven by new DVD releases - but alas, I've never found one. Sounds like X-Human might know some. Basically I'm agreeing with X-Human...

You gotta see Friday the 13th though mate. ;)

18. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I'm a fan of the classic films--it's funny, the movies I watch the least are probably the Friday the 13th and NOES films that were popular when I was a teenager. I love classic films in general, of all genres.

I rarely post on the classic horror oriented boards because they're usually dominated by the "everything new is bad" mindset, which I can't stand. Many times, it's not just everything new, more like "everything less than 50 years old is bad." Ridiculous. Many times these boards wind up being a non-stop bitchfest about recent films. There are plenty of things to dislike about a lot of newer films, but there are also good movies still being made.

RETURN OF THE VAMPIRE is available on my cable system's VOD right now, I'm going to go watch it!

19. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Very true, too often is seems people feel they have to like one or the other. Someone who doesn't like classics is just as brain dead as someone who only likes the classics. Hell we're already seeing people complaining about how nothing's as good as the 80's. What a bunch of prudes. In twenty years we'll hear about how nothing's as good as Scream anymore.

I like classic horror, I like modern horror. Is there crap from both? Of course. There are also great films from both. Mostly there are just pretty good from both.

Someone made the comment that most don't hold up too well. Few movies do, but for the most part even their contemporary audiences didn't think much better of them. As I said I'm watching the AIP films from the 50's, these were pretty bad. Nobody over 5 had any illusions about these beyond drive-in fodder for teenagers in heat. Is today horror seen all that differently?

"Take my word for it. If you want to make out with a young lady, take her to see 'Dracula'."

Classic films aren't a time machine for me. I'm not transporting myself to a better time and place by watching these. I'm looking for entertainment.

20. dwatts

dwatts New Member

These comments can sometime sbe curious. I've seen criticism of the acting style for instance - comments that they're too "stagey" - that sort of thing. I've always found such comments rather silly, because of course they don't look and "feel" like todays films, they were made in a different era, with different styles of things. That's part of the beauty of them, imo.

I'm lucky, I can ignore all of that and concentrate on the movie - in fact, most of the time I don't even notice it. Those that do seem a tad "off" to me.

There's also a lack of awareness that todays films will, in due course, look equally as ancient as the classics. It's a moving time window.