Classic Horror fans are you out there?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Horrorfan, Mar 1, 2008.

1. I kind of enjoy the dramatic over-acting. To me, it's a lot more interesting to watch those exaggerated characters than it is to watch a lot of modern characters (especially in secondary roles), which often seem more like set pieces than actors.

2. geeare

geeare Guest

I love it all. the classics are one of my favorite sub-genres, if you can call them that. The Creature films being the best IMO. RIP Ben.

3. Yowie

Yowie Hologram

This is a good book to learn about the (US) classics from.

[​IMG]

4. dwatts

dwatts New Member

And don't forget this book - the excellent companion!

[​IMG]

5. BroodingHope

BroodingHope New Member

I myself am just starting to get into a lot of classic horror films. While I was never against them it was always hard for me to watch them for some reason. Maybe it was the acting that some have mentioned or some other variable, but I'm glad that I've started to look into a lot of these films.

Beyond the Universal Monster movies and things like Carnival of Souls, Freaks, and Nosferatu does what are some more 'must see' classics?

6. dwatts

dwatts New Member

A list of films would be long. I'll go one beetter and just show a couple box sets which are priceless:

[​IMG]

All the films here are very very good, Lugosi is terrific. He gets flack these days, it seems it's okay to bash him. But I think he's screen magic.

The films included are: Murders in the Rue Morgue / The Black Cat / The Raven / The Invisible Ray / Black Friday)

And then get a selection of other titles:

[​IMG]

Not an ounce of fat in here for me. Loved each and every moment.

Of course, The Old Dark House is great if you want more James Whale... Freaks is a classic.... and on and on.

7. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I don't have any specific complaints. I suppose it's more the fact that my tastes have changed than any particular problem with a film. I was completely obsessed with the Universal monsters as a kid and I mean OBSESSED. I watched Dracula, Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein this past year, and they just didn't really do anything for me. Jeez, does that sound blasphemous-my 8-year old self is probably en route in a time machine to come and knock my block off.

8. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Be sure to pick up the Roan Restoration of White Zombie if you're partial to Bela. It was one of his best roles. And there are some really impressive shots that stay in your mind for a long time.

I really love the scores of the golden age Universal movies. The quality and volume that those composers produced is really amazing.

9. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I actually play the soundtrack to Bride of Frankenstein quite often.... got a nice CD of that......

I watched a nice classic tonight - a "lost" Universal film. Well, as lost as a film can be that's freely available on DVD for next to no money..... and it ain't Old Dark House! No siree.

Not gonna tell you what it was until tomorrow though. :D

10. Shock Waves

Shock Waves New Member

The Val Lewton collection has been a favorite lately.

Highly recommended to fans of the Classic's.

[​IMG]

11. Yowie

Yowie Hologram

Yes, Lewton classic horror is king, it doesn't get much better.

12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Of Lewton I've only seen With a Zombie, I hope to watch a bunch of them this Halloween season. I like to gorge myself on classic horror in the fall so that I'm all stocked up for the winter.

Anyone else notice that the last 3 of the first 4 weekly horror movies have not only been before the 1980's be before 1975 to boot?

Mark of the Devil (1970)
    Hour of the Wolf (1968)
    Messiah of Evil (1973)

We're talking pre-slashers here, although mostly post NotLD.