Classic Horror Standoff - Round 1 - Horror of Dracula vs. Bride of Frankenstein

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Lyle Horowitz, May 9, 2004.

1. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

(1) Classic Horror Standoff - Round 1 - Horror of Dracula vs. Bride of Frankenstein

Welcome to the Classic Horror Showdown. The rules of the game are pretty simple:

***PLEASE READ THE RULES FIRST, BEFORE VOTING. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THE RULES WILL RESULT IN YOUR VOTE NOT COUNTING!!!***
    • The object of the Classic Horror Standoff is to pit two Classic Horror films against each other, to determine which is "better", according to the Horror DVD members.
    • You get points for which ever film wins the showdown. For instance; if 'The Blob' beats 'Fiend Without a Face'; the people who voted for The Blob get one point. The people who voted for 'Fiend Without a Face'; loose a point. NOTE: don't vote for something you don't like just to get points. If you like 'Fiend Without a Face' more than 'The Blob'; but you see that 'The Blob' is winning; don't vote for 'The Blob' just to get points. That takes ALL the fun out of the game. I will remove the point system if people are just looking to get points.
    • Each round lasts until the thread goes "dead". A thread going "dead" means that it hasn't been replied to in 24 hours.
    • If you haven't seen BOTH films on the list, DON'T reply. I will not count your vote if you write something like this: "Well, never seen The Blob; but Fiend Without a Face is my favorite film of all-time!".
    • PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't just put down the film you prefer. PLEASE give a reason why you are choosing on film over the other, not just "The Blob, because I like it more than Fiend Without a Face" OR "Fiend Without a Face; because it rocks!". You can do better than that, I know this.
    Now that I got that out of the way; our first match pits the two most highly regarded classic horror films against one another. The first, a gothic horror film from Hammer Studios; which many consider the greatest vampire film ever made. The second, a film from Universal Studios made during the "classic monster era", which many consider the best horror film of all-time.

HORROR OF DRACULA vs. THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...I will post my vote in a bit. Let the games begin! :evil:

Last edited: May 11, 2004
  2. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

My vote goes to The Bride of Frankenstein (***** of *****), a film which occupies my top ten. Truth me told, I think Horror of Dracula (*** of *****) is seriously overrated. While it has lush colors, good direction, and a good preformance by Christopher Lee (my favorite Dracula); it is boring, repetative, and worst of all: you don't care about any of the characters. In Bride of Frankenstein, you feel much more compassion for the characters, most importantly, the monster, played brilliantly by Karloff, one of the ten best preformances of all-time. The scene with the monster and the blind hermit is heart-wrenching, and one of the best ever committed to celluloid. Although on the surface, Bride of Frankenstein appears to be a horror film, it's also a romance, sci-fi, drama, and frantasy. Bride of Frankenstein works on so many different levels, while Horror of Dracula only works on the level of a horror film. And while Horror of Dracula has some , rich colors and gothic sets; Bride of Frankenstein has amazing black and white cinematography, which grasps you from the begining, to the very end. Horror of Dracula may be the most overrated horror film of all-time, and Hammer's best are their Frankenstein films; namely; Curse of Frankenstein, which is also a five-star classic, but not on the level of Bride of Frankenstein.

Last edited: May 9, 2004
  3. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

Bride of Frankenstein...although i love horror of dracula as well, bride is at a higher level of not just horror films but all of cinema. I cant see horror of dracula bein remembered 100 years from now like Bride will be.

4. Andrew

Andrew Guest

BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN for me as well, and I too find HORROR OF DRACULA to be pretty overrated (3/5 for me). Granted, it is still a good film, and Lee's performance is spot on, but I just can't get into that film like I can with some other Hammer pictures, notably THE MUMMY (their best, IMO). BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN is still not a "stellar" film for me either (3.5/5), but it does beat out HOD for the combination of elements to form a pretty good film. Karloff's performance, as said above, is good, and draws the viewer into the monster's mindset. The beginning and ending are also fantastic, with some great sets (at least they look like sets, but I could be wrong) used to set the mood. Stark black and white works wonders here as well, and Whale does a good job with the direction. Overall, I wasn't floored by either film, but BRIDE is definitely the better of the two.

5. Ravenheart

Ravenheart Guest

I have to go with Bride of Frankenstein.Not only is it a great movie,but its even better then the original.

6. John Gargo

John Gargo Guest

I've always held a higher preference for the Hammer horror flicks than I did the Universal ones, and I think that BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN is particularly overrated (not to mention inferior to the original), so I've got to go with HORROR OF DRACULA, which is perhaps the greatest Dracula film of them all... I'll take Christopher Lee's sexualized Dracula over Boris Karloff's performance in the sequel (making the monster speak was a BIG mistake, IMO).

HORROR OF DRACULA it is...

7. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

Please read the rules and vote again. Thank you.

8. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

I love both films very much. HOD is a great flick, i love Peter Cushing as Van Helsing and Chris Lee is fantastic as Dracula. While I don't think's it's hammer's best film(that's Curse Of Frankenstein) i do feel that it's a great flick and deserves all the praise it gets. I'd rate it about 8.5/10. BOF on the other hand i just recentually saw for the first time and i thought it was fantastic. I really enjoyed it, Karlof was great and i thought it was very entertaing. I'd rate it 9/10. But i'm going to vote for Horror Of Dracula becuase it has held up on repeated viewngs and i'm not sure if BOF will seeing as how i've only watched it all the way through once.

So Horror Of Dracula it is.

9. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

Horror of dracula for me as well.

10. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Oooh, per the rules Jimbo, I don't think your vote's gonna count! :p

Me? I love Bride, but some of it just doesn't gel with the rest of the film. I can see what they were trying to do (like with the miniature people), but on screen, it just seemed out of place. HOD on the other hand, to me, is just a perfectly crafted film. I watched it for the first time in several years (and I do mean several!) when the dvd came out, and I was shocked at how well it held up.

Horror of Dracula for me, please.

11. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

My vote goes to Bride of Frankenstein. I too found Horror of Dracula to be a bit overrated. Bride of Frankenstein is just one of the most influential Horror films of all time and I would put it as one of the defining horror films of the last century. While both film had great sets and atmosphere "Bride" just had more to say.

12. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Member

Great idea for a thread......

"Horror of Dracula" is a good but not great film. Its reliance on color, its Gothic trimmings, the sex and violence (both now tame) and its two stars all make it important historically as a contrast to the b/w sci-fi/horror movies of the 50s and the Universal horror cycle. However when compared to other horror films from Hammer, it is merely average: the story is needlessly simplified and the sets are not as good. **1/2 out of ****

"Bride of Frankenstein" is a classic. James Whale doesn't cheat on the horror but manages to imbue the film with his unique sardonic wit: he was way ahead of his time. The only complaint I have is that he goes too far with the humor and almost undermines the film. ***1/2 out of ****

So my vote is for "Bride of Frankenstein".

Last edited: May 10, 2004
  13. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

Please read the rules and vote again. Thank you.

14. batgirl

batgirl Guest

my vote goes to bride of frankenstein. as many others have stated, i do think horror of dracula has great performances by lee and cushing, and the use of color really inhances the blood. Bride wins because it has not one but two classic monsters, superior effects for the time, and is shot and lit so beautifully. i'm not the biggest fan of the monster talking, but that hardly ruins the film for me. Dr. Pretorius is such a character, so flamboyant and sarcastic. furthermore bride wins on sheer classic-ness...when i think of the frankenstein monster i think karloff...lee is the second dracula that comes to my mind..a great second...but no lugosi.

15. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

My vote goes for Horror of Dracula. Bride of Frankenstein has some great visual and truly memorable moments, such as the Bride's first moments of life which can hardly be beat. However I feel Bride is too sentimental for my tastes and just doesn't live up to the whole.

HOD has all the great elements of gothic horror from set pieces to costume, the pacing is wonderful and the direction wanders into both classic and camp. Christopher Lee's performance can be seen as both sinister and silly and I just love the feel of that.

16. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Hey Batgirl, welcome to the forum! New blood, muah hahaha!

...but, you're wrong. j/k ;)

Edit; okay, so you joined oct '03, but still, you only have 5 posts and I haven't seen you before, so you're new to me. Welcome, and get posting! :p

17. Damed

Damed Guest

BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN gets my vote.

Horror of Dracula was a good hammer film, but I *really* felt for the Frankenstein monster in Bride, and the symbolism and themes in the movie are timeless.

By far, Bride gets my vote.

18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Bride of Frankenstein, no contest.

Besides the unique spin taken on the Frankenstein story, the wit and film making is just unmatched in all the rest of Hammer and Universal's output. Bride was classic horror at its peak, Whales perfect his mad scientist formula of the original Frankenstein and The Invisible Man, plus his always brilliant set designs and lighting.

Horror of Dracula hasn't aged well in my opinion, Hammer in general I don't think really holds up as well as the Universal Classics do. But that's not to say it doesn't have its high points, the use of color and inspired takes on classics characters can not be over looked and neither can Lee or Cushing as perhaps some of the greatests horror actors of all time.

19. batgirl

batgirl Guest

thank you mutleyhyde..glad to be here :banana:

20. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

Horror of dracula.Why, As for universal i much prefer the original Frankenstein over bride.And i am a sucker for Hammer flicks :)