Classics still non-anamorphic on DVD

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by rhett, Oct 8, 2008.

?

Which non-anamorphic DVD would you like to see upgraded most?

Poll closed Nov 7, 2008.
  1. The Abyss

10 vote(s)
    9.9%
  2. Cannibal Ferox

3 vote(s)
    3.0%
  3. Dark Star

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Escape From LA

5 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. From Dusk Till Dawn

15 vote(s)
    14.9%
  6. Halloween 6

10 vote(s)
    9.9%
  7. Halloween H20

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
  8. Innocent Blood

6 vote(s)
    5.9%
  9. Madman

14 vote(s)
    13.9%
  10. Piranha

6 vote(s)
    5.9%
  11. Scream

7 vote(s)
    6.9%
  12. Season of the Witch

7 vote(s)
    6.9%
  13. Sleepless

7 vote(s)
    6.9%
  14. Other

7 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Well, isn't 1.66:1 still just "matted" widescreen, just like every 1.78 and 1.85 film? 1.66:1 is commonly called "European widescreen", no? :D

But yeah, 1.78:1 discs fill the TV frame PERFECTLY, which makes a lot more sense now lol.

Oh and another to add to the list...

Rock 'n' Roll High School. Non-Anamorphic 1.85:1 all around the board. Nobody's released it anamorphically yet on DVD.

~Matt

2. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Sleepless. The DVD I have is the pan 'n scam. I really like that film.

3. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

where is the halloween 6 special edition damn it

4. rhett

rhett Administrator

Go MADMAN! The fact that it is holding its own against titles like FROM DUSK TILL DAWN, THE ABYSS and SCREAM just goes to show how awesome you all are. Now if only Anchor Bay was awesome enough to do something about it.

5. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

There's something epic about the thick black bars. Showing its fantastic scope and 35mm feel. Sometimes anaromphic gives the film a stretched look.

6. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

LOL really? Cuz in theatres in 35mm there'd be no black bars at all, and the "scope" feeling is still there. Anamorphic enhancement only makes the film fit the TV frame better. It's not stretched. Just enhanced. :)

But yeah seriously, Madman needs a re-release. It's OOP, so maybe AB's planning something.

~Matt

7. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Halloween me baby. The Divimax re-issues were terrific, they made poor movies seem so much better. Way to go!

8. MrTransistor1

MrTransistor1 Member

The Driller Killer
    Junk
    Bride of Re-Animator

9. Spitfire

Spitfire Suspiria

Sleepless all the way, I've been waiting for a region 1 widescreen edition of this one; long overdue.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  10. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Shit, I never knew Escape from LA was non-anamorphic. Seriously, that has to be the only non-anamorphic DVD that Paramount has ever issued. Sure they may suck in the features department, but they've always given us great image quality (albeit a few titles) and anamorphic transfers.

~Matt

11. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Really? I find that a lot of their transfers for their films from the 60s and 70s (THE CONVERSATION and PARALLAX VIEW to name two) to be pretty grainy. While that may be inherent in the film stock, I find it a bit odd that I notice it almost exclusively on Paramount transfers and seldom ever in other studio's films of similar vintage.

12. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Well films from the '60s and '70s don't often look very good, anyway. It was a weird era. Like every movie was shot in soft focus. It's all pretty much inherent in the film stock. Come to think of it, not many studios' films from the '60s and '70s look very good. Taxi Driver, from Columbia...doesn't look too great. (Whereas movies from the '40s such as His Girl Friday and The Big Heat look astounding.) The Fury, from Fox doesn't look too great either. Dog Day Afternoon and Bullitt from Warner don't look very good, either. It's a '60s/'70s thing, really.

~Matt

13. maybrick

I dunno... I have BULLITT and never noticed anything detrimental regarding to the film quality, but for some reason I do for a lot of Paramount releases. Don't ask me why.

14. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Well, if you've ever seen the blu-ray of Bullitt...let's just say...not up to par LOL. It's VERY VERY grainy. The DVD must've been DNR'd because there's a lot more grain in the HD version than in the 2-disc DVD. But with some of the Paramount titles you're referring to...I totally see what you mean. But, I personally find many of Paramount's old releases to still be up to par with many other studios' current releases. (I mean, look at MGM's early releases...YEEECHHHH!!!!)

~Matt

15. RickMoe

RickMoe New Member

The Boogey Man (1980) would be smashing.

16. maybrick

:lol: Yeah, I totally know what mean with MGM. I took out the DVD of BREAKING AWAY recently, and although while it's touted as anamorphic, it's pixellated to point where backgrounds were shifting whenever camera panned. Maybe "shifting" is the wrong word. It was as if they did a photoshop job to the background, duplicating nearby pixels to possibly cover up film print damage (and doing it horrendously). It was very strange.

Back to grain: I don't have a problem with it really, and prefer it very much over over-processing the image quality. Maybe there's no difference to speak of between Paramount and other studios and it's all in my head. That's entirely possible. :lol:

*Nevermind, just realized that BREAKING AWAY was a 20th Century Fox DVD. My bad.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  17. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm completely against DNR-ing films. It gives them an odd appearance. Grain doesn't bother me, it's just that it seems to be SO PREVALENT in films of the '60s and '70s and I don't know why.

LOL...Breaking Away. Yeah I know what you're talking about there, the DVD looks like total ass. But, with MGM, it's absolutely ridiculous. About 95%-almost 100% of their early DVD transfers are complete garbage. (non-anamorphic too!!!) And on an HDTV, it looks SO much worse! I'm not gonna even get into what they look like upscaled, but I'll just say this: Enhanced sharpness and clarity to background pixelation makes a movie almost unwatchable in my book. :D

~Matt

18. maybrick

I don't think I own any of the early, early MGM DVDs. Probably the earliest I own is PHANTASM, but that can't be expected to hold up too much considering it was just a laserdisc port. I remember the first DVD of THE CRYING GAME making me feel as if I were having an acid flashback the shadows danced so much, but if I remember right I think that was a Miramax disc, not MGM.

19. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Voted for Escape from LA, so underrated and so needing a SE.
    From Dusk Till Dawn and Scream are the real headscrathers, both are popular enough and have anamorphic transfers in R2.
    I would've sworn my Criterion Armageddon was anamorphic, but looking at dvdprofiler I guess it isn't. WTF? My Scream DC is also confusing me, profiler says it's letterbox as does the boxcover, but the picture on the back of the box showing the screens of 4:3 and 16:9 tv's makes it look like it may be anamorphic. I'm pretty sure it isn't though, I'd test but the tv is in use right now.

Edit: here's what I'm talking about;
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  20. Uncle Jay

Uncle Jay Member

I went with The Abyss, love that flick!

[​IMG]

Gotta love a hero like Virgil 'Bud' Brigman!

-UJ