Code Red ensures their first official 2-disc won't go Unseen

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Jun 10, 2008.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

Our favorite bad movie archivists and historians, Code Red, look to be growing comfortably under their new tenure with BCI. First news they are working on non-Code Red supplements like the superior schlub slasher, FINAL EXAM, and now they are issuing their first official double disc set [following their Best Buy exclusive second disc on THE DEAD PIT] with August 19th's THE UNSEEN. It's a slasher with a retarded farm boy as the killer, and with that role played by Flounder from ANIMAL HOUSE, it sounds like the least scary film ever made. Fear not though; it's directed by Danny Steinmann, the man who made handicap horror somewhat of an art form after the handicap sister rape in SAVAGE STREETS and the mentally challenged axing in FRIDAY THE 13TH: A NEW BEGINNING.

[​IMG]

Steinmann's unfortunately absent from the special features, but he's about the only one with Code Red's massive two disc set for the 1981 film. Here's the lowdown on the features:

DISC ONE
    • Brand New Anamorphic 16x9 transfer from the original IP
    • Audio Commentary with Producer Tony Unger and star Stephen Furst moderated by Lee Christian.
    • On camera interview with co-stars Furst and Doug Barr
    • Still Gallery
    • Original Trailer
    • Code Red Trailer

DISC TWO
    • On camera interview with make up effect supervisor Craig Reardon.
    • On camera interview with Make up effect legend and the film's writer Tom Burman.
    • Make up test slides, sketches and behind the scenes stills from Craig Reardon's personal collection.

Retro slashers coming to DVD is always a momentous occasion, but with two discs of Code Red love, August 15th can't come soon enough! The MSRP is $24.98, so get saving.

Attached Files:

2. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Didn't care for it when I saw it in the 80's,maybe I should see it again,though.

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Awesome, it shall be mine!

4. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

I'm kind of at the point where everything Code Red puts out is a must-buy, and this is no different. Besides, it's not like anyone else is still putting out obscure 80s slashers, so I don't feel bad about supporting.

5. Stige

Stige Active Member

anyone anywhere know anything about their release of the REDEEMER they promised, not on their website anymore (movie is also known as class reunion massacre. PLEASE don't let this title be dropped

6. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I thought I read somewhere that the original negative of Redeemer was lost - that's why is was never released.

7. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I can't wait for this! The Unseen is one of my favorite obscure 80s horrors. I saw it in theaters in it's first release, and it has always stuck with me. Not really a slasher movie, very well made. Its great to see a proper DVD release. I have the UK disc which is missing a crucial scene explaining why the thing in the basement is the way he is. Love that cover art too!

8. JBPumpkin

JBPumpkin New Member

This may be slightly off-topic, but the Code Red release I am most looking forward to is "Silent Scream". I recall seeing this on VHS waaayy back in the day, and really enjoying it a lot. But it never seems to get much attention. Possible that it isn't as good as I remember?

9. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

Stige wrote:

The Redeemer is long, long gone. Code Red could not locate a usable print. Here's a quote from someone claiming to be "in the know" on the IMDB:

So, there you go.

10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

A friend of mine has been asking me for the last two years or so if I heard when this would be coming out. I never saw The Unseen, but it sounds like entertaining trash and the cast is great with Barbara Bach (The Spy Who Loved Me), Doug Barr (The Fall Guy), and Sydney Lassick (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Carrie, Alligator). Never expected a two disc release! :)

11. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I liked this film - it was well-made. A sure buy for me :)

12. Stige

Stige Active Member

thanks for the replies everyone , guess i will just have to treasure my crappy old copy dvdr from the video ( which I own the VHS of by the way so not techically a bootleg)

13. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I'll get it. I've got 3 Code Red's so far, and I will follow this label closely. Great stuff.

14. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i probably wont get this i have it on vhs still and didn't really care for the movie that much i have 3 code red dvds also
    dead pit,sole survivor and doom asylum my next one will be
    nightmare

also is the chilling that comes out on dvd june 24th a code red release because i remember a while back when code red announced they got two 80's zombie movies the dead pit and the chilling but i see some websites saymedia blasters is the studio that is releasing the chilling dvd anyone know?

15. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Active Member

never seen this, yet i'm very excited. strange, cause i've seen Devil Times Five, Don't Go In The Woods...Alone, The Forest and Doom Asylum and they were all basically crap

but i like slashers and they are apparently the only ones releasing them, so i'll buy them (hope The Unseen is a bit better than those previous ones)

seems unnecessary to release this on 2 DVD's, considering the content on the second one, but i'll give them the benefit of the doubt

sad about hearing that The Redeemer won't come out, liked the trailer very much!

16. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

I'll be getting this one too. It's not as bad as the others mentioned. Is The Mutilator still on their schedule?

17. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Devil Times Five & Doom Asylum were radical. I still got those. Sole Survivor was pretty good and Boardinghouse was miserable. They're still on my good side so I'll check this out. I'm excited that a DVD company is still putting out obscure 80's horror.

18. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Question about THE REDEEMER.I recall a film that began with a creepy sequence where a mysterious figure emerged from a lake and seemed to be moving through an old house.It was pretty ominous looking.Is that THE REDEEMER I'm remembering,if not,anyone know what that I might be ? Looked like a 70's film.

19. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

^ Yep, definitely The Redeemer. It's one of the best slashers out there, and deserves a quality DVD release. Hopefully someone will do right by it in the near future.

I saw The Unseen a few year back and didn't think too highly of it. I'm willing to give it another shot though, as it's rare I don't care for a slasher. For the record, Dead Pit is a 2-disc release.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2008
  20. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

fceurich39 wrote:

Media Blasters is the distributor for The Chilling, but Code Red still did the work on the DVD. I assume this is because CR might still owe MB some titles from their former distribution contract. If I'm not mistaken, The Chilling, Killer's Delight and Campus Corpse are the final few that Code Red did for Media Blasters.

Erick H. wrote:

That's The Redeemer. There are two great interviews on the Hysteria Lives! website--one with the actor who played the killer, T.G. Finkbinder, and one with the writer William Vernick. Apparently, Class Reunion Massacre was really just supposed to be a slasher, but the producers added the wonky faux-religious beginning and ending segments to try and cash in on the Omen. Hence the 'Redeemer' title.