Code Red Goes Blu – Just Before Dawn, Nail Gun Massacre, The Electric Chair

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Katatonia, Nov 15, 2012.

1. DEEPESTBLACK

DEEPESTBLACK New Member

Terry Lofton was never really happy that they cropped his print for the old DVD edition. Additionally, a few folks were disappointed that the DVD was matted and differed from the original Magnum print they had grown fond of over the years. That print had a few boom mics, etc but specifically, the killer's legs bouncing up at the end! Code Red has rectified this by including new prints of BOTH versions. Also, the HD transfer comes from the last remaining 16mm print. Amazingly, it's in pristine condition. So, it will look great in HD.

We also have some cool new special features for the Nail Gun Massacre Blu Ray. Not sure if Bill wants me to let the cat of the bag on those yet though.

2. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Uhm, isn't this - how can I put this delicately - unwise? I mean, I'm sure that Just Before Dawn is on the radar of larger part of his consumer base than Electric Chair? It's like some sort of bizarre hostage situation. Why base the release of a fairly well-known - and oft-requested - movie on the success of a total obscurity that doesn't seem to have a fanbase to speak of? :confused:

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

All good to know. I've bought both the original LE DVD and the Synapse DVD, but I'll probably go for this on Blu-ray too. Unique extras and the alternate aspect ratios go a long way in selling me on that idea.

Well you gotta admit, if The Electric Chair does well enough on Blu-ray then certainly Just Before Dawn would do well too. ;) But yeah, not exactly the best release to test the waters with. Nail Gun Massacre I think is a much better gauge. It's had a couple releases on DVD and even more recently again on VHS for collectors. It's also more well known. Keeping that in mind it will match up better with Just Before Dawn.

Fortunately they're coming out together so I think Bill will see what's what.

4. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

He wasn't very happy about it?

Someone must tell "Madman" Bill that packages sometimes do get lost in the mail. And since he wants to sell directly that´s one of the drawbacks.

Don´t you have any friends that you can ship to their addresses?

5. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I do. If Code Red ever released something that I thought was truly indispensable, that's the route I'd go. So far, that hasn't happened yet. I have a sneaking suspicion that I'd have to use someone elses paypal account too, though, which just makes it more of a hassle.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  6. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I work in To. so if you ever need me to grab anything let me know. Either way it's pretty ridiculous.

As is basing whether or not Just Before Dawn gets released on Blu by how well Electric Chair on Blu sells!? Shouldn't it be the other way around? Just Before Dawn would easily sell on Blu and possibly become his best selling title. Electric Chair's chances of being a big seller are pretty slim on DVD or Blu Ray, especially considering it was a free bonus with the Axe DVD. Yeah I know that version was cut, but still. It's not a title you EVER hear anyone talk about while Just Before Dawn is a title you hear about all the time, with nothing but praise for the most part. Who wouldn't upgrade their DVD to a superior Bluray with the uncut version being the cream on the top.

I'm not going to insult Bill or say he is crazy, but he sure makes strange decisions with his business. How about release Nightmare on Blu while you're at it, or at least re-release it on DVD. It's his best selling title yet he stops producing it after two months while still releasing subpar titles. I don't get it!

7. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot. I'm sure I'd be able to arrange something with a friend or inlaw or something, if there were something I really had to have, but I really do appreciate the offer. Very cool of you.

8. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

It would be a real shame if his first choices for Blu treatment don't do any business but I'm convinced Just Before Dawn will become a top seller for CR on any format. I wonder if there's any real logic behind his decision to "test the waters" with such an obscure film like Electric Chair. I'm in for a copy but I'll only go for the DVD since it will presumably be less expensive than a Blu unless he's planning to go the combo route.

9. Jimmy S

Jimmy S New Member

I doubt Bill will do combo pack as it double the Sony fees and like most of you I don't think The Electric Chair is a good choice to judge how the format will sell and this is from one of those who like this film. As I wrote to him somewhere else, Nail Gun Massacre will give him a better idea of the financial aspect of the blu-ray adventure as it's a known title and an horror film (I'm sure it had a strong fan base). But I can say that I'm happy to see Pat Patterson getting some love.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  10. The Tall Man

The Tall Man Member

Just Before Dawn is certainly worthy of a bluray purchase. Of course it would be uncut, as if Bill would release a cut version. Every time I watch it I can't believe I'm hearing Blondie's Heart of Glass whilst they are driving the van in the beginning. I wonder if they even paid for the rights for it.

11. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Bill has made some comments on another forum that has me concerned regarding Just Before Dawn. First, he claims the 11-minute longer cut of the film is "washed-out" and "white", that the print isn't even good enough for VHS. I can only presume that he has a version of the film that contains some of the missing gore bits but not the longer dialogue-driven cut. As long as the important bits are restored, including the full machete-through-the-groin sequence, I suppose I can live without the full-length version. Still, he should try to make the additional dialogue scenes available so that fans of the film can finally have a definitive version for their collection. I suppose it would be too much to ask for seamless branching, but any release of the film that does not contain the full-length cut, in any form, will always be incomplete.

Second, and probably the most worrisome, is that he is "in no hurry" to release the film. Um, isn't that the same reason he's using for sitting on Butcher Baker Nightmare Maker? I don't know if he's aware of this, but JBD will likely become his best-selling release on both DVD and Blu-ray.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  12. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Actually if he is smart, he will wait until after April 2013 as Cinema Wasteland is having a Just before Dawn reunion. The Q&A would make a great extra on blu-ray I'm sure.

13. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

We are talking a one guy firm.... only he can be sure of something.
    And he is a little mad so...

14. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

Bill is retarted if he bases his future releases off of sales for movies that people have never heard of.

15. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Code Red and "seamless branching" in the same sentence... I would pay to see that.

And don't mention that JBD will likely become his best-selling release on both DVD and Blu-ray, because if it doesn´t, you´ll be just giving more excuses to justify poor sales.

Even if he sells thousands, he´d still be moaning as it probably is a good selling tactic.

Well, it is a very know fact that mad people justify their means with stupid solutions!

How should Madman Bill be any different? His actions so far has proven only just that.

16. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

At this point I'm convinced that Bill is sitting on his most requested titles because he WANTS to create an issue for himself. He enjoys complaining. He enjoys having a reason to bitch. It sounds crazy, doesn't it? The sad truth is, there ARE people out there like that. I've heard it described as "martyr syndrome".

Personally, I just call it "fucking retarded".

17. Franco

Franco Weekender

In the end of JUST BEFORE DAWN, she is like the man and he is like the girl, no??? It's a woman who should be crying and not him.

18. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I find it interesting that the blu for Just Before Dawn shows out of stock on The Code Red website but he is selling copies for $30.00 plus shipping on Ebay with "more than 10 available."

19. thing

thing Well-Known Member

dunno if this has been reported this week but Just Before Dawn is coming out on 88 films soon;)