Code Red's Nightmare aka Nightmares in a Damaged Brain

Discussion in 'General' started by delicreep, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Just cause a movie is old that doesn't instantly upgraded shit films to "classic".
    On a happy note this movie didn't cost me a single penny. :D

Well there is some good stuff coming out later this year.

2. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I think Nightmare is a fucking classic and excellent film. Not boring in the slightest, dark images and eerie atmosphere throughout. I don't know what you were expecting, but I found aside from the doctor bits, that it was an unsettling beauty of the genre. Can't wait to watch it again when my discs arrive.

3. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Completely disagree.

I love Nightmare/Nightmares in a Damaged Brain/Blood Splash. It's a sleaze masterpiece and a prime example of a great 42nd Street slasher.

Have yet to pick up the DVD (will soon), but own it on VHS and film.

4. FinalSora

FinalSora New Member

5. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

Why do I get the impression that if Dobby was at a party, he/she would be the loudest and most opinionated person there, causing everyone to distance themselves from him/her?

6. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Probably cause that happened to you. :lol:

7. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

You're right. I tend to avoid loud, obnoxious people who offer no real insight to any conversation, but interject only to throw in their consistently negative two cents worth with absolutely no explanation to back it up.

Nice try, princess. It's fine if you don't like the film. It's not for everyone. No film is. But... you know what, this is pointless. You probably won't "get it" and it's naive of me to think I can help you "get it". But just take a look at your post history and soak in the monotony.

8. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

It's obvious not just this poster but a few others are here mainly to vent their frustrations, it probably has nothing to do with the films themselves but rather with their dissatisfaction with life and lack of any other cathartic outlet. At the end of the day they just probably seek the validation of a response, any response.
    Not a psychologist, but have noticed this recurring theme on many boards in the past-people are and should be free to express themselves though.
    We all know who they are, the ones who feel it necessary to include profanity in every post, attack others with little provocation or justification and who offer little insight to the genre or little else.
    You're also correct in that they won't 'get it', probably too absorbed in their own bitterness to give a damn about anyone's opinion.
    In all fairness, we always have the choice of hitting the 'ignore' button though.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  9. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I will probably pick this up for my October viewings. I don't really like paying this much for a DVD though, but I will may an exception for this film as I have heard nothing but good things about it for years now.

I know there's a reasoning behind what these companies decide to release or not on Blu Ray, but I can say for me personally I will buy almost any horror release on Blu, even if it's just okay, but am very apprehensive about buying a DVD in this day and age unless it's dirt cheap, as in $10 or less. One of the main reasons I haven't been buying too many of Code Red's releases even if the titles have sounded pretty interesting. On the other hand I have been and plan on buying many more Blu's from Synapse, Blue Underground, and Shriek Show. Just doesn't seem right paying $20 for a DVD anymore, especially when Blu Rays can be found in the $5-$10 range.

I wonder if Code Red would sell a lot more DVDs and in the end make more money back if they sold their titles for a more reasonable price, ie. $10?

10. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Well I know if that was the case I'd definitely own a LOT more of their titles.

11. Korngold

Korngold New Member

Yeah, I think it needs a second viewing to really pass a judgement. The first part of the film reminds me a lot of Maniac. A film which I enjoy throughly.

I'm glad to own a copy since this is it's first release in a long while though.

12. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Got mine today. Now I just have to figure out which of the three versions to watch!

13. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

so can anybody who watched all 3 versions do a review??? of pros and cons of all 3 films

Like maybe someone do a dvd review RHETT for old times sake???

p.s. i still love the friday the 13th deluxe editions reviews

14. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

I haven't watched all 3 versions all the way through, just the HD transfer on the 1st disc, but I have scanned through the other 2 prints and I can give you a bit of a breakdown:

The fullscreen print on the first disc is definitely NOT the way to see this film. Sure there's more information at the top of the screen, but the transfer also suffers from some interlacing issues as well as ghosting. Code Red claims they did color correction on this print, but I found the colors to be rather muted and washed out. Why Scavolini would approve this version of the film is beyond me.

The HD transfer on the same disc is, in my opinion, the best looking of all 3. Widescreen, with the only major print damage appearing during the first few minutes of the film. I found the colors to be fairly vibrant considering the source material with adequate picture clarity (skies are very blue, grass is bright and green, etc).

I know everyone seems to prefer the print on the 2nd disc, and while it does contain a slightly clearer soundtrack (and an ample view of Tara Alexander's poon), I found the colors to be over saturated in some scenes, and completely washed out (almost sepia) in others. It also suffers from some distracting brightness issues in some of the day scenes (i.e. when CJ takes the Garbage out and sees George standing across the street). The brightness became so saturated that certain facial features and other details were lost in the image.

I think this is a case where it's really just up to the viewer to decide which print they prefer. For my money, it's the HD transfer on the 1st disc. I'm not blaming Code Red for this in any way. I have my issues with Bill and some decisions he's made with some of their releases, but I truly believe they did everything in their power to present to us the most complete and cleanest prints of this film. Let's face it, the negatives are beyond repair (in fact, on one of the extras on the disc, they even state that when they took the negative to du-art labs, they were asked to get the film canister out of there because it smelled so foul when they opened it up). I really don't think any other company could have done a better job.

Besides, the specs, dirt, and grain just add to Nightmare's overall grimy feel and I wouldn't want it any other way :)

15. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

thanks for the info much appreciated

16. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Ordered this today. I hate paying more that $10 for any DVD, but I really want to have a decent looking version of this while it can be had. My employer sells it for direct home shipment for under $18 and free shipping with membership. Should have it by Wednesday.

17. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

Mine shipped from CDWOW yesterday. Took longer to get in stock but CDWOW is the cheapest I have seen it as they were doing a 10% off all stock day and this came to £13 with free P&P. Cant wait to see this.

18. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Got mine today. The copy on the back cover is full of silly passive aggressive snark. Plus the lead actor's name is mis-spelled on the credits bar at the bottom. Still, I am glad to finally have it.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  19. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

hehe :D, yeah Code Red have had a lot of typos on their covers with the cast and crew. They spelled Eric Stoltz's name incorrectly on the front cover of Running Hot, and put the director's name as Paul Carter (it's Peter Carter) on the back cover credit block of Rituals.

20. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I defend Code Red a lot, but yeah. The misspelling on covers of proper names and such is a bit...well. I know Bill's grammar on boards doesn't need to be spellchecked, but perhaps the disc cases would benefit from such. lol.

Also, just ordered Nightmare along with Sledgehammer, so I should be seeing them later next week. :D