Code Red's Sole Survivor

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I'd rather not say and get them in trouble, but I will say that the first three letters of the store are Has :evil:

2. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

:D

3. onebyone

onebyone Guest

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Finding quality 80s horror I somehow missed makes me very excited.

Oh my goodness what a great movie! I had never even heard of it until the DVD was announced. Never saw a copy in a video store, nothing, but I had to give it a chance as 80s horror is the best horror. Still, I was expecting nothing but campy goodness. I was certainly not expecting something as good as this! Best blind buy I have made in ages. 4/5 stars and I suspect it will go higher on future viewings. Good stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2008
  4. rhett

rhett Administrator

Yeah, I really enjoyed it too. It's definitely an anomaly, being the first Code Red film that's actually legitimately good without any crazy camp elements. It's like the opposite of Armageddon in the Criterion catalog.

5. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

Don't you worry, Code Red will be getting back up to standards with their upcoming release of Boarding House. It doesn't come out until April 29, but Newbury Comics had it out already so I picked that and Sole Survivor up on Friday. I hope to dig into both real soon. There's just something about Code Red's combination of bottom-of-the-barrel movies, great transfers and amateurishly shot special features that makes me want to own everything they release. Still, it's great to hear that Sole Survivor is a legitimately good movie.

6. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I felt Sole Survivor was pretty well made and effective in parts but a little too slow for my taste. I enjoyed it but not enough to rave about it.

7. rhett

rhett Administrator

Yeah, Code Red's discs are always among my favorite. So personal and so distinctive. I had a chance to check out Boardinghouse and it's definitely back to standards. It probably even raises the bar. I'll have a review up this weekend.

8. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

I pre-ordered Boarding House and got Sole Survivor along with it, so I'm excited to check these out.

My girlfriend rented Don't Go Into the Woods when she was young, so she bought that DVD a year or so ago when we randomly spotted it at a store. Good thing Code Red's re-releasing The Forest, Devil Times Five and their other stuff so I can grab those as well.

9. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

Strange, I pre-ordered Sole Survivor from Deep Discount on 3/26... Got an email today saying it had been discontinued. And it's not listed on their site anymore. Something doesn't smell right here.

Anyone else order this from DD? Did you end up getting it?

Edit: Just checked dvdplanet and dvdpacific and they're both listing it as out of stock. Maybe there's just been a nice run on them. Amazon is showing it, but at $17.99 -- I think I'll wait, DD and others were listing it from $11-13.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  10. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

i pre-ordered it at DVDplanet, and never received it. Then i cancelled the order and re-ordered from BUY.com, which had it listed in stock for under $12. They have not sent me any confirmation of the shipment. the worst part is after i ordered it i went to KIM's video in NYC and they had at least a dozen copies at $16.99. Now i just have to wait and see if buy.com comes through...

11. Kolpitz

I originally ordered both Sole Survivor and Boarding House from Deep Discount. They were the cheapest there ($11.99 apiece) and I usually rely on DD for my genre pre-orders. However, as soon as 4/1 hit and Sole Survivor was supposed to be out, I noticed that it was still listed as pre-order in my order status, but it had no date anymore. When I did a search, I noticed that it was listed as unavailable. I did some research on-line and found that this was happening on many websites. Apparently, Amazon had it listed as out of stock and when it came back in stock they jacked the price up to $17.99. Code Red's response to all this was that the online distributors were purposely depleting their initial stock so they could raise the price (ever paranoid, those Code Redders). But, I bit the bullet and ordered both from Amazon anyway. The very next day I found both at Newbury Comics for $14.99 each, so I bought them. Back when Code Red was just getting started they claimed that each DVD would be limited to 3000 copies because they couldn't afford to press much more than that on "niche" DVDs. This limited number may be leading to the shortages, as it appears that Code Red has underestimated the demand for their product.

12. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

Was going to, but the day of the release I hit one of the local Frys because a couple DVDs I was after were out that day. Didn't see Sole Survivor at first, and figured they didn't order it or did the typical "order 1" and it sold out. On a hunch I checked the sci-fi section. The idiots at Frys often don't know what category niche DVDs belong in, it sometimes pays off to check the other sections. And since the cover art looks like a sci-fi movie, I figured some stocking drone shrugged and stuffed it there. Sure enough, they had the requisite 1 copy in the wrong section. Might be the only reason why they still had it in stock.

Didn't realize until later that my chance of readily picking the DVD up would have been slim.

13. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

I had the same problem at DeepDiscount...I had briefly fantasized about finding it on the shelf at BestBuy, but decided I didn't need the stink, so I just ordered it off their site. Supposed to be here tomorrow...(making little quotes with my fingers, "supposed to be")....

14. jstell

jstell Member

Video Universe has in stock for $11.09.

15. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

i just got confirmation that Buy.com has shipped my copy of Sole Survivor. $11.79 + shipping. To my door for under $15. Not too bad! I cant wait to see this again after 17 years!

16. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

Thanks for all the info... I went ahead and ordered it from Video Universe for $14.08 shipped. It showed as being in stock... we'll see.

17. Kolpitz

So, I finally got around to watching this and I thought it was pretty good. Not great, but pretty good. I think Night of the Comet's a better movie but this is a solid debut feature. I might've liked it a little more had I not had this really bad, really annoying eyelid twitch that was driving me nuts throughout the whole movie. So, maybe on my second viewing a ways down the road, I'll get a little more out of it. Code Red does stellar work as usual, with a solid, almost blemish free transfer. I noticed the interlacing that Rhett was talking about as well. The sound was a little low and I had to turn it up more than I usually do. All in all, definitely Code Red's best film to date because, well, it's actually a competently made movie. Thankfully, they dove back down to the bottom of the barrel with Boardinghouse.

18. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Hey - is your folks' copy of this DVD single or dual layer?

19. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

single.

20. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Thanks Katatonia - mine is too, and has a clear case. I was curious because all my other Code Red's are dual layer, and I saw mixed DVD reviews on single and dual layer DVD's for this release.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008