Cold Prey 3

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Hellbilly, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I really enjoyed this one... but then again, I enjoyed the first two films. The cinematography was striking, and one of the blonde actresses was drop dead gorgeous. And the eighties vibe (Sony Walkmans!) was great.

The English subtitle file was often quite inaccurate, but I can understand enough Norwegian to make do.

Now... if they'd only release it on DVD or Blu-ray somewhere with proper English subs.

2. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I thought the first one was great, the wintry climate combined with the desolate hotel was a creepy and effective location. I found it very original and the killer was actually imposing and quite frightening.
    The second was even better, I did kind of see a homage to Halloween II going on there, a little derivative but a great thrill ride of a film too. The main heroine was kick ass and I like the fact that the cast was average looking and not those WB heartthrobs typical of post-Scream slasher films. The final girl was strong in a Sigourney Weaver/Linda Hamilton sort of way. Lots of effective jump scares.
    I thought the third one was a disappointment really, a tepid blend of Just Before Dawn/Wilderness with some Wrong Turn thrown in for good measure. The film forsakes the snowy location for a more typical camping type slasher film, the characters were boring and not as fully fleshed out. It was really a generic dumb kids trapped in a slasher film doing typical dumb things kind of movie.
    Was the actor who played the killer the same as in the first two? He seemed to lose a lot of his dark and ominous sense of menace, maybe he just looked smaller without the winter garb.
    It's a great series, the first two outings are stellar and amongst the best slasher films I've seen, too bad it lost so much steam and momentum in the third.

3. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I really want to pick this up - already have the first two on dvd- I dont see a dvd for this on amazon or for pre-order- is this available R1?

4. Katatonia

No, there's no Region 1 DVD. There are some official import DVD/Blu-ray releases, but none offer English subtitles.

There's no Region 1 DVD release for the 2nd film either, yet.

5. othervoice1

I bought the 2nd one region 3 I believe- but it plays just fine- hopefully something comes soon for part 3 with english subtitles that will play on my PS3

6. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Cold Prey 2 is available on Region 0 from Amazon.

Crystal clear widescreen picture and subs.

http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Prey-Ing...Z0E2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1301726670&sr=8-2

Says Region 3. It's Region 0. I got sick of waiting for a Region 1 release and this does the job. Fun sequel.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  7. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

8. Katatonia

I wasn't aware of that one. It's NTSC then...

But those are Region 2 PAL, no good for the people here who aren't region-free.

I have the UK single-release DVD of the sequel, and it looks pretty good.

9. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Member

I am going to check out the first one (can't believe I overlooked this because it seems like lots of positive reviews and I love slashers/80's slashers). I don't see part 2 or 3 anywhere. Any idea about the 2nd and 3rd movie or a trilogy set or anything coming up that would be playable here in the US?

10. Katatonia

Only the first movie has been released in the U.S. thus far. There is a region-free DVD import for the sequel that can be found on Amazon...or could at least, it may be OOP now.

The U.K. has a DVD of Cold Prey 2 that can be had cheaply if you're region-free.

I don't believe Cold Prey 3 has yet been released anywhere on DVD/Blu-ray in an English-friendly edition, but you can view it online and download/enable English subtitles.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  11. othervoice1

Such a crime this is not available on an English-friendly dvd still - the first two are great - so many folks probably never heard of them and need to - have no idea on the 3rd as I havent seen it yet- been holding out for a dvd I can buy (would love all 3 on blu)