Comment on the flicks included in the Paul Naschy Collection

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Novosibirsk, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Novosibirsk

Novosibirsk Member

I've never seen a Naschy flick, but I decided to bite the bullet and order the boxset. Here are the flicks included...

Exorcism
    Blue Eyes Of The Broken Doll
    Human Beasts
    Horror Rises From The Tomb
    Vengeance Of The Zombies

Are any of them decent? Are any total duds?

Thanks.

2. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Just watched Blue Eyes this past weekend. Hung over and couch ridden. It's comforting euro horror/suspense was just what the doctor ordered.

3. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Member

I have brief reviews of 4 of the 5 you're asking about. Just follow the link to my site if you're interested. Otherwise, this is how many stars (of four) I gave them.

Exorcism - *1/2
    Blue Eyes Of The Broken Doll - N/A
    Human Beasts - **
    Horror Rises From The Tomb - **1/2
    Vengeance Of The Zombies - *1/2

4. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

It's difficult to be a horror fan and not have an appreciation for Paul Naschy. Of course he is most famous for his werewolf films which weren't mentioned in the thread.

Attached Files:

5. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

As a huge Naschy fan, I congratulate you on your purchase. Every horror fan should make room on the shelf for Jacinto Molina. He was a real throwback--a horror giant in the mold of Lon Chaney Sr., Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, and Vincent Price. His love and respect for the genre shines through in all of his performances. He was never slumming or coasting. He gave every project his all. The guy wrote the vast majority of his films--and directed many later in his career.

Most people gravitate to his Hombre Lobo films. But all of the films in the box have something to offer. The best place to start really depends on your personal preferences.

Horror Rises From The Tomb is probably most representative of his body of work. It's a gothic horror mash-up featuring multiple monsters, gore, and ample nudity. And like most of Naschy's efforts, the potentially ludicrous material is approached with a level of commitment and sincerity that makes all the difference. If you like this one you'll definitely want to pick up some of the Hombre Lobo films.

If you're a giallo fan check out Blue Eyes Of The Broken Doll first. It's very stylishly directed with a memorably groovy 70s score. And it features Naschy doing some of the things he did best: getting it on with hot Euro women and kicking ass. This is my favorite film in the set.

Vengeance Of The Zombies is a trippy and fun film featuring a cool cloaked villain and lots of zombies and bare breasts. The goofy score irritates me because it totally destroys the mood. But I still enjoy this one a lot. As in many of his other films, Naschy plays multiple roles.

I'd save Exorcism and Human Beasts for last. I don't enjoy them near as much as the other three.

6. Marshall Crist

Marshall Crist New Member

Now that nearly three years have elapsed, I would be interested to know whether Nobosibirsk ever watched these movies and what he thought of them.

Personally VENGEANCE OF THE ZOMBIES makes me giddy.

7. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I'll be checking out some Lobo films in the near future. Looking forward. It's too bad these films are so freaking hard to find at a decent price. These are all blind buys for me.

8. shape22

Be sure and checked the used listings at Amazon. You can get a good used copy of the Anchor Bay Curse of the Devil DVD for around $5 (including shipping). The BCI release looks better and has the original Spanish audio but has a serious glitch that results in dropped frames and herky jerkey motion. If that doesn't sound like a deal killer for you the BCI's two pack of Curse of the Devil and Werewolf Shadow can be had for under $20. And some later pressings of BCI's Curse of the Devil are reportedly fixed. So you might really luck out. Night of the Werewolf is around $15 on DVD. But the Blu-ray double feature disc of Night of the Werewolf and Vengeance of the Zombies can be had used for around $14. Amazon is also selling a MOD disc of Dr. Jekyll Vs. The Werewolf for under $10. It's derived from 2 watchable but less than stellar prints that have been cobbled together. I'm pretty certain that at least one nude scene is missing from the beginning of the film--but that the bulk is presented uncut.

If you're interested I'd snap some of them up. I'm sure the prices will rise as we approach Halloween.

9. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Cool thanks man!

10. shape22

You're welcome. Be sure to post your thoughts about the films. I'm always curious to see if others enjoy these movies as much as I do.

11. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

As much as I would love to say otherwise, and wish that I could get rid of both AB editions of these movies, I simply haven't be able to get myself to. I very much wanted the Deimos DVDs to be an upgrade because of the original language, but the stuttering is a major drawback for me... and I even contacted the company to get a corrected copy of Curse. Every time I try to watch them I wind up ejecting and playing the ABs instead. I have absolutely no other problems with any of the other films in their Spanish Horror series. I love them all! (btw, these are the only ones that don't say that they're remastered from the original negatives on the packaging.)

12. shape22

I agree 100%. The Spanish versions of these films are far superior. The English dubs turn them into Mystery Science Theater material--which they're not. But the stuttering problem with Curse of the Devil is too big a problem for me to overlook. My other BCI Naschy DVDs play perfectly. Do you have other titles with the stuttering problem?

13. maybrick

Just Curse and Werewolf Shadow. Not that I think of it, I don't think that I've rewatched Curse since getting the replacement disc. I think I just gave it a cursory viewing just to see if there was an improvement (there was) and took it out. There should have also been a replacement program for Shadow as well because I really did try to watch it recently and gave up 10 minutes in.

14. shape22

Man, I envy you for grabbing that replacement Curse disc in the short time they were available. By the time I heard about them the company had folded up.

One of these days I have to make an AVI rip of the Anchor Bay transfer with the BCI Spanish audio track and subtitles. I tend to watch the Anchor Bay version since the English dub is the lesser of the two evils. But the English audio is really irritating too.

15. maybrick

The english dub on Werewolf Shadow is passable, but what makes the one on Curse so horrible is that it sounds just so canned. You can virtually hear the echo bouncing off the walls in the studio that they recorded it from.

16. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

You caught that too?

17. maybrick

Definitely. :)

18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

You guys got me worried about my copy of Curse of the Devil but I checked and I did get the replacement disc. I've still got the AB disc too so I guess I'm all covered.

It's been a long time with lots of movies in between so I can't say which is better but I'll copy and paste some of my short reviews:

Exorcism: Great build with plenty of euro sleaze to spice things up a bit. 3.5/5

Blue Eyes Of The Broken Doll: Not graphic or exploitive, even for Naschy, but an intriguing whodunit plot keeps things interesting none the less. 3.5/5

Human Beasts: A new stew from Naschy, with a few of the regular old spices thrown in for an excellent blend. 3.5/5

Horror Rises From The Tomb: Somewhat spotty but overall decent Gothic horror from Europe. There's some nice perverse violence sprinkled through out and some good atmosphere. It's basically your standard vampire blood relation tale, without the vampires but a take off of Mario Bava's Black Sunday. 3.5/5

Vengeance Of The Zombies: Fun Gothic horror with some giallio sensibilities tossed in for a lark. The pacing is a bit plodding and visual design dull but one can never complain about undead vixens doing satanic deeds while wearing black see through night gowns with nothing underneath. (not ranked)

I do recall getting more enjoyment from Exorcism and Horror Rises from the Tomb although they're all ranked the same. I'm somewhat mystified by the general praise Vengeance of the Zombies gets when for me it didn't really click that well. I agree it has all the parts but I'd almost rather have one genre done well than a mish-mash that does a bunch of genre's OK.

Vengeance is on a Blu-ray disc with Night of the Werewolf, easily my favorite Naschy film of all time. I see it crop from time to time relatively cheaply still. Better than the DVDs but not reference HD by any definition.

19. Marshall Crist

Marshall Crist New Member

I have not heard the Spanish-language version of WEREWOLF SHADOW, but would choose to watch it in English anyway, as so many of the performers are actually speaking English in it. Although the actual voices are probably dubbed by others, at least the lips match.

My favorite Naschy film, BTW.

20. shape22

I understand where you're coming from. But I hate hearing someone else's voice coming out of Naschy's mouth. Even if everyone else in the cast was speaking English I'd stick with the subtitled Spanish. The only thing that kills me more than hearing Naschy dubbed is watching the Italian language version of Black Sabbath. Karloff's voice is a cinematic treasure. I feel the same way about Naschy's.