Comment on the flicks included in the Paul Naschy Collection

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Novosibirsk, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Marshall Crist

Marshall Crist New Member

I thought I read where Naschy is usually dubbed by a voice actor anyway in the Spanish versions. Could be BS though.

2. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I've seen these claims on the net. But they don't appear to be thoroughly researched. The BCI/Deimos Naschy releases feature the man himself introducing the films in Spanish with English subtitles. And his voice sounds the same as it does in the films.

One possible exception is The Mark of the Wolfman. I haven't watched it for quite a while. But I recall thinking that Naschy's voice sounded off.

Can anyone confirm definitively whether or not Naschy provided his own dialogue in the Spanish versions of the Hombre Lobo films?

3. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I haven't heard about the dubbing before. Hong Kong did this quite often with their films though. Some of their lead actors had their own personal "dubber" that they used for all their films.

4. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Watched Curse of the Devil. It's a little all over the place. Like really bad editing. However the set designs and art direction are awesome. I also love that he wolfs out a lot for no better reason than to raise the body count. The action scenes and gore are done pretty well too although I wish the lobo's teeth weren't so pristinely white all the time.

5. shape22

Indeed. This is definitely a Naschy trademark. The plots of these films are generally way too busy. Believe it or not Curse of the Devil is one of the more focused Hombre Lobo films. Most of the others throw other monsters in there with the black magic and Waldemar.

6. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Watch Night of the Werewolf last night. Much better film. Really awesome imagery in this one. The plot was laid out nicely in comparison to Curse, but still not perfect. It doesn't matter though. It's as if they had dozens of great scenes that they needed to somehow link together. Really creepy atmosphere and music too.

7. shape22

Awesome that you are enjoying these films Mok. If you have Werewolf Shadow it's a great companion piece to Night of the Werewolf. Incidentally, Night was one of Naschy's favorite films.

8. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

NIGHT OF THE WEREWOLF was my first Naschy film and I really enjoyed it (watched it back in March). I'll second shape22's recommendation of WEREWOLF SHADOW. They do work well together. I hope to sit down with WEREWOLF AND THE YETI soon.

9. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Been searching for WEREWOLF SHADOW everywhere but all I could find was The Werewolf Versus the Vampire Woman :p

What about Frankenstein's Bloody Terror? Any good?

10. shape22

Avoid The Werewolf Versus The Vampire Woman. That's likely the dubbed and edited clothed version. And Gaby Fuchs deserves to be seen in all her glory.

I like Frankenstein's Bloody Terror. I'd rank it below Night of the Werewolf and Werewolf Shadow. But it's an entertaining film and extremely significant in terms of history. It's the jump-off point for Naschy and the Spanish horror boom.

The cheapest copy of BCI's Werewolf Shadow disc appears to be on ioffer.com ($14.99). While not a bargain, it's not a horrible price for an OOP disc. But you might be better off selling your copy of Curse of the Devil and picking up the Werewolf Shadow/Curse 2-pack at Amazon. It's still under $20 (used copy listed in "very good" condition).

11. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

You should pick up FRANKENSTEIN'S BLOODY TERROR. It appears to be the origin story for Count Waldemar Daninsky and I really enjoyed. The transfer isn't great but its watchable. I picked up both FBT and WEREWOLF SHADOW for $13 each from an Amazon Partner back in March. Well worth it.

12. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Watched Fury of the Wolfman and Frankenstein's.. this weekend. Fury had some alright ideas in it. The girls were pretty hot too, but FBT was really great. Love the heavy use of color.

One thing though, and I bet you guys know what I'm going to ask. Why the re-used footage? The kill where the guy gets tossed on the burners. It was in both films. Was it a flashback in Fury?