Comment on the Track the Films You Watch Thread: 2006

Discussion in 'General' started by rhett, Jan 12, 2006.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

This thread is an offset of the Track the Films You Watch thread.

See a film on somebody's list that you want to know more about? Want to know why they watched that film? Want to recommend others? Or do you just want to shoot the shit? Whatever your fancy, use this thread to spark discussion on the movies that all of us are watching and logging this year.

2. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Cool to see that you watched Open City too, Rhett. I watched it last year and thought pretty highly of the film. We could use a better print/transfer on dvd though, I think.

3. rhett

rhett Administrator

Yeah, I had been putting it off for WAYYYYYY too long, Ben! I didn't really have much qualms in terms of the video or audio transfers (although improvement could always be done), but I became quite irritated with the subtitling. They were so bare and so long-coming, I always felt like I was missing vital exchanges, as a conversation would go on for minutes with only a couple little subtitles sentences to show for it. The dialogue that was there was so simplistic, I am sure much of the nuance in the script was lost in translation. Considering how important it is, a special edition is well in order!

Cool that you liked Mutiny on the Bounty, I've always wanted to see it. I think, too, that you are probably the only person to follow a best picture film with the Star Wars Holiday Special. A dubious distinction indeed! :D

4. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

:lol: I'm just eclectic like that.

Or maybe it's more just a kind of yin/yang thing; having watched some grade A cinema, I feel the need to go through the proverbial pulling of teeth to balance things out a bit. ;)

On the Mutiny disc, they had a preview for the 1962 version which had me hooked - having Brando, Richard Harris and Trevor Howard makes this a must see for me.

5. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

i'm going to comment on my list. I feel like i should have read something on The Squid and the Whale before watching it. I saw Noah Baumbach and thought i'd be in for a slightly dark, eccentric comedy. I guess there was some comedy there, but there was a whole mess of dark. Coming from divorced parents, it hit a little close to home for me, which i wasn't expecting. Though that's not to say my experience growing up was anything comparable to this film, its brutal honesty was still evident. A very good film, but i just wish i knew what i was getting into. Especially after seeing Match Point, which was a bit heavy at times.

6. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Just done watching The Deathless Devil. It's Turkish Pop Cinema from the 70's and quite a ride. I sometimes watch movies on a Turkish TV station I get over here (to amuse myself) but damn, this one beats 'em all so far. The trashy carnage of The Deathless Devil will make your head spin for sure. Worth checking out.

7. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I've been on a real H.G. Lewis/SWV kick lately. Last night I watched The Gruesome Twosome, which I thought was oddly enough a step-down in quality from his blood trilogy, but actually much more entertaining, isn't that right, Napoleon? :lol:

I also just got the double feature of Asylum of Satan/Satan's Children in the mail from Netflix, so I think I'm going to go pop that in right now. After that, I'm going to watch A Taste of Blood. :)

8. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Netflix has this one doubled-up with one called TARKAN VS. THE VIKINGS. I hope this release isn't a watered-down version. I am putting it in my queue anyway--thanks for the tip, Hellbilly!!!

9. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Yeah, that's the DVD I got including TARKAN which I will watch over the weekend. There are boobs and a semi-sex scene in Deathless Devil... it didn't appear to be watered down (I guess). Hope you'll enjoy it though :)

10. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Sounds great!!! I'm sure I'll enjoy it! :D

11. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

Cujo

I see you recently watched Headhunter.Was it a DVD?If so what info do you have on it.Haven't seen this available on DVD anywhere and as bad as it is I would like to pick it up.:)

12. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Rhett,
    are you at film school or something? I'm seeing a Canadian film course in there, as that's about the only place I ever hear of anyone watching "Wavelength". I just it myself last semester in a very bad 16mm print. That sound drive me nuts. I think your rating suggests you liked it much more than I did. :cool:

Also, the last two films on your list are on my must-see list. Not sure if I'll be seeing "Munich" for awhile, but I'm excited about it and having seen "One Day in September" recently, I find the subject matter fascinating.

I have "Don't Go in the House" on order and it sounds like my kind of grindhouse flick. :banana:

What about the chicks in "The Party Animal"???? Maybe it's because I was a teen in the 80's but they worked for me. :D

13. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

wavelength, as in michael snow's wavelength? TORTURE...torture, i say. his new movie isn't so bad, even though its about 20 minutes too long.

14. Semerrill

Semerrill Member

last movie i watched was neighbor no.13 but it could of had a better ending, pretty interesting movie

15. indiephantom

Is that his condensed WAVELENGTH you're speaking of? I think one Michael Snow film is all I need. :p

16. rhett

rhett Administrator

Yeah, I am finishing up a film degree here in Calgary. I watched WAVELENGTH on my on discretion though. I had taken a book out some time ago about the film and the subject matter intruiged me. I can't say that it was a popcorn flick or anything, but I thought it raised some pretty good ideas about cinema and context and all other things academic. Certainly not a movie to be conventionally enjoyed though, that's for sure! I found a copy of it on VHS on the net, that was how I tracked it down. That was the first Snow flick I saw, I have some more on the go though and am looking forward to it!

Where are you taking school at? I'd love to be in a class that showed WAVELENGTH. The only Canadian class I saw at the U of C had your usual Canadian auteurs in their pretentious phases. Cronenberg with CRASH, Egoyan with EXOTICA, The Barbarian Invasions, etc. Not that I dislike any of the films or anything, but you'd think a Canadian class would dig a little deeper and look at those directors' earlier, better, and more experimental stuff.

Yeah, MUNICH surprised me quite a bit. Spielberg grew a pair with that one...had I not seen HOSTEL a few days before, I would have dubbed it the gory and nudity filled movie I've seen in months. It was really mature in its subject matter too - no Pinnochio endings this time for Stevie.

This was another surprise for me, not nearly the misogynistic sleaze-fest I was expecting. I'd call it MANIAC lite, with a fine performance by Dan Grimaldi. Another great DVD by Shriek Show too. Hopefully I can get the review out in a couple days.

Hey, I certainly wasn't complaining during the strip game of cards that Pondo whipped up on the spot. If only it were that easy. :D

17. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Watched that myself at the end of last month...thought it was really good. A 4/5 from me. I'm extremely used to these types of films, and the pacing, and the ambiguous endings, so it worked well for me. Just wish I could track down the original manga to check that out.

18. indiephantom

Rhett,

I'm at Carleton U and finishing up film there this year. Trust me you don't want to be in the class that showed "Wavelength". ;)
    I didn't realize Calgary had a film programme but that's very cool.

19. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

First time viewing: The Bird With The Crystal Plumage.
    Loved it but had major deja-vu though. Seems like Brian De Palma "borrowed" most of his Dressed To Kill ideas from Bird. :)

20. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

De Palma? Borrow? Nahhhhh