Comment on the Track the Films You Watch Thread: 2006

Discussion in 'General' started by rhett, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Numania

Numania Guest

Yeah, I bought it on sale recently. Pretty awful. Marcia Brady looked hot in it, though.

2. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Caught The Skeleton Key (2005) this weekend. A decent film, although the ending made this film seem more like an overlong Tales from the Crypt episode.

But yeah, nice soundtrack, effective atmosphere, solid performances. I wish Kate Hudson were offered more roles--like this one--where is isn't asked to simply be a girl who has quirky relationship issues/problems. Those romantic comedies are pretty bland.

That attic was spooky!

Also tried to give Scarecrows (1988) a try, but my friends veto'd it after 35 minutes.

3. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

Watched Graduation Day again tonight. Not nearly as awful as I remembered the first time I saw it. Kind of entertaining, really. It might have the cheesiest opening five minutes of any horror film. Hysterical.

Gangster Rock!

4. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

My Last 10...

My Last 10 Horror films (doesn't include "normal" films, of which I have also watched too many):

1) Pumpkinhead: Ashes to Ashes Jake West/2006- I actually saw this in a theater here in L.A. as part of a horror film fest. Total direct-to-video fare but fun to see in a theater. The CG was horrifically bad.

2) Frankenstein James Whale/1931 - Pretty good.

3) Bride of Frankenstein James Whale/1935 - Amazing. Wierd, funny and violent. Great f/x for the time.

4) Don't Go in the House Joseph Ellison/1980 - Not as violent and subversive as I had heard. The one burn scene is startlingly convincing but it works best as a grindhouse era character study.

5) Final Exam Jimmy Huston/1981 - This is one of the most pointless, useless slasher films I have ever seen.

6) The Abandoned Nacho Cerdà/2006 - This is like watching a re-make of Fulci's The Beyond. It follows the same rules, same looks, same non-linear story-telling. Has a couple really solid scares.

7) Funny Games Michael Haneke/1997 - Not really a horror movie and uses a one of the most infuriatingly nonsensical plot twists to make its point. Worth watching though, for sure.

8) Night of the Living Dead 3D Jeff Broadstreet/2006 - The original is one of my all time favs. This is not. When it is zombies vs. people, it works. When it is trying to be funny or self-referential, it does not at all. it looks cheap as hell.

9) Mortuary Howard Avedis/1983 - LOVED IT! Totally 80s, Totally not on DVD yet, bad haircuts, skating rinks and BILL PAXTON.

10) Mansion of the Living Dead Jess Franco/1985 - Typical Franco. No plot, no production value, no gore, large doses of "lesbian" sex. I wasn't tired and STILL fell asleep twice.

5. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

:D
    Couldn't agree more! Still, people praise it which is totally confusing to me.

6. Workshed

Did an impromtu double-feature last night:

Carrie (1976) and

Halloween II (1981)

Spoilers Below

First-time viewing for both--:eek2: Yes, yes, I know. In my defense, I read Stephen King's novel a long time ago, and I'd heard so much about the film that I felt like I'd already seen it. And I'm not that crazy about the Halloween franchise. So, with that happy attitude I started to watch.

Carrie - Best Hair Movie Ever. Wowie. Everyone has awesome hair in this! Poof! Curls! Perms! Great!
    And hey, is that the most empathetic gym teacher ever? I mean, when she's not slapping students, of course. And Sissy Spacek does a very believable job. She really made me think back to high school and how I could have been nicer and more understanding to/with people. I know that sounds cheesy, but Spacek made me believe her character.

It was almost better that I did know what was going to happen in the story, because I kept thinking, "Carrie, don't go to the prom, baby! They are all going to laugh at you!"

The story is just so classic King. Nihilistic. Everyone dies. Good, bad, all dead. The good people only served to unwittingly push Carrie over the edge (the jock and his girlfriend want to take Carrie to the prom to be nice, but her attendance dooms everyone; the gym teacher is her mother figure who also ends up encouraging her--and that encouragement is later seen as betrayal; while her real mother turns out to be correct in all her crazy assumptions.) The road to hell is paved with good intentions. And Carrie sees all intentions as betrayal. “They brought me up on this stage to pour blood on me and mock me. It was all a lie, even the kiss. Rage!” I wish King would return to this attitude in his writing.

The only downer was John Revolta. A terrible performance that crosses the campy line into just...bad. He was awful.

Halloween II - Also entertaining. Fun chases, stupid cops, and what do you know--an injured Jamie Lee Curtis in a white gown who is running from Michael Myers. Fantastic. I enjoyed the feel of this film. Early 80s Horror can't be beat. Funny (but not camp) with plenty of gore. The blood looked great in this film.

I do get tired of watching Michael Myers take bullet after bullet to the head and body and still not stopping. He's not the Terminator. He's not some drowned kid come back to life, he's a mental patient. Maybe he trained with the Maniac Cop?

Pretty happy with both films and I'm glad I finally saw them.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  7. rhett

rhett Administrator

One day you will see the light. With a character named WILDMAN and a stalker even more pudgy than Madman Marz, how can you go wrong!

8. rhett

rhett Administrator

Best closing line ever. It reminds me of another board, where the topic was THE HILLS HAVE EYES II, and someone said "This movie made me walk out of my own living room." :lol:

9. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I just watched CANNIBAL APOCALYPSE for the first time this morning and had a great time--I'd always heard such bad things about it! It's certainly no better or worse than the other "cannibal" films of the day, and having John Saxon in the lead sure makes for some good times (as usual--he also made me love WELCOME TO SPRING BREAK).

Or maybe it's because we moved to Atlanta in 1980 and seeing it again as it was then made me giddy and nostalgic.

Am I the only one who liked this one???? :(

10. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

No way, I love Cannibal Apocalypse. *hugs DVD* :)

11. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Got the flu, watched a bunch of stuff:
    Beyond Borders(Angelina Jolie)
    An Inconvenient Truth (The Al Gore documentary on global warming)
    Pirates Of The Carribean II (Very disapointed in this)
    Cookers (Horror film about junkies in a haunted house, slow but effective)
    Superman II-The Richard Donner cut-awesome film.
    The Break-Up (Predictable romantic comedy with Jennifer Aniston-enjoyable nonetheless).

12. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I watched Pulse tonight, the Americanized version. Still haven't seen the original. This is probably the worst remake I have ever seen, as well as one of the biggest horror duds I have seen in my entire life. A huge waste of my time. I gave it 2 points in my rating for the year. 1 for Kristen Bell for giving what she could and 1 for the bonus Spot-Brad-Dourif-In-This-Scene. Any thing with Dourif will automatically garner 1 point. Bad movie, bad script, bad acting, bad effects, bad everything. Ugh.

13. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Yikes, looks like I dodged a bullet I nearly rented Pulse on Friday. Will avoid now.

14. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Awww, don't avoid it just because I hated it. I'm sure I really enjoyed some movies that other people despised and if I avoided them, I'd have missed a couple of great flicks. You might want to give it a shot but I'm just giving out a forewarning to those who rent/buy it. :D

15. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Rent the original if you get the chance...it's brilliant, well worth your time. And I'm sure it'll wash away any bad taste left over from the remake ;)

16. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

I am "trackerless" for another 19 days, but I come to crash your party thread to hysterically shout-preach the following catchphrases:

K2!

"Open your mouth!" "Chew it, pig!"

"My name is not Pedro."

"Did you feed him?" "He eats all the time."

"He'll come, yeah."

:fire: :banana: :fire: :banana: :fire: :banana: :fire: :banana: :fire: :banana:

17. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I bet it doesn't make any difference. Was disapointed in the original film - I'll try the remake eventually.

18. Workshed

Star Trek: Insurrection (1998)

Well, I am finally tying up some Star Trek loose threads by watching Insurrection and soon, Nemesis.

Insurrection really played out like an extended episode...a decent episode, not great. It really did not feel like a film, and I suppose some of that has to do with Frakes' direction. In fact, from the opening credits, where Frakes' name appears 3 times, it tends to feel like a Frakes vanity project.

1. Riker and Troi's relationship is pushed to the forefront, which is cool. But Worf's relationship to Troi is never mentioned. At all. And he goes through puberty in this film! You'd think Worf would be all aggressive, jealous, and horny. But no, we musn't disrupt Riker getting some. In a bathtub.

2. The shaving of Riker's beard is given ample screen time.

3. Riker gets to "manually" drive the Enterprise.

4. The Riker Manuever.

You know, I like Riker. He's badass...in a safe way. But Insurrection felt more like a Riker-centric TNG episode. And not a bad one. But hey, if it's gonna feel like an episode, then we need a Captian's Log moment at the end, which we do not get.

This film never seemed to find itself. The script was spotty (Data: "Saddle up. Lock and load." :lol: Terrible. And I am so tired of Data as Pinocchio. I get it. He wants to be a real boy.) Picard's contuing adventures into platonic love interests. :sleepy: Geordi has a nice moment, Crusher is forgotten. Eh. A decent TNG episode.

And what was up with the Ba'ku woman's ability to slow time?

19. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

12 Monkeys

So I watched 12 Monkeys tonight. Not the first time I had seen it but afterwards I was looking through the bonus features on the DVD... I watched the trailer and got a surprise when the background music in the trailer was the exact same music from Bram Stoker's Dracula. It was never used during the film but it's clearly the same music used in BSD.

Anyone know if there's a story behind this? Just curious.

20. Workshed

Hey, how are the special features on that disc? Anything worth noting? I keep waiting for a better edition to be relased, but...