Comment on the Track the Films You Watch Thread: 2006

Discussion in 'General' started by rhett, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Surnom

Surnom New Member

Yeah, that's exactly how I felt last time I watched Dark City. I remember that I loved that movie when I first saw it. But last time (on TV, though, but still), I didn't even watch it all though - I was bored. Everytime I was seeing the DVD, which is quite cheap, I was wondering if I should get it. After seeing it on TV, I'm glad I didn't.

2. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Same with me, Surnom. I kept seeing it for $4.99 and I'd almost always pick it up. Pretty glad I never did.

3. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I watched The Squid & The Whale earlier in the week. Didn't surprise me in the least that I enjoyed it but I thought I might embrace it a little more than I did. I was thinking "Wes Anderson" the entire movie only to find out his name is credited under 'Producer.'

I also saw A History Of Violence. Awesome movie. Viggo did a great job with his role here, and the explosive bits of gore/violence are perfectly done. Cronenberg may have gone mainstream with this one, but it was a great film.

4. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

noah baumbach co-wrote The Life Aquatic and Fantastic Mr. Fox as well.

5. DrHerbertWest

I had no idea Baumbach co-wrote Life Aquatic, I loved that movie (along with other Wes Anderson projects that I've seen). Fantastic Mr. Fox.. I'll have to look into that.

6. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

So Workshed doesn't like Once Upon a Time in the West or Dark City...in other words, you're from another planet :p

7. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Ha ha, I liked them both, but in the case of the former--not as much as I'd hoped, and for the latter--not as much as I remembered.

Watched Dolls last night and was disappointed with that one as well. I'm in a rut! I've never seen Class of 1984, and everyone here gives it rave reviews. Maybe I'll bump that on my Netflix list to get a guaranteed quality flick ASAP.

8. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Class of 1984

Wow, after a slump of films, I finally gave Class of 1984 (1982) a viewing based on all the great reviews I'd read on here.

You guys were right. Very affecting film, great performances, and I loved the 80s feel that this film oozed. Stegman was perfect, a classic spoiled rich kid gone completely bad, almost as if he were plucked from some cheesy 80s teen flick (as the rich kid villain) and turned into a nightmare.

This film is hypnotic. I got so into it that I was really rooting for Mr. Norris to deliver the proper punishment to those brats.

And when
    Mr. Norris pins that kid to the saw? Wow. And then the saw-on-bone noise continues out into the hall! Great touch.

I actually found Drugstore to be the most menacing. Very creepy, always sweaty, twitching.

To be honest, I could have done without the
    gang rape of Norris' wife.
    It was a bit much to take so near the end, and that character was set up as such a great character that it felt almost like a cheap way to get to the audience. I wonder if it would be more threatening had they just taken her hostage and teased Norris with the idea? To commit the act gives Norris the excuse to do what he does and almost lets him off the hook. Still, a fantastic finish to a film that had me riveted.

As an aside, I'd seen Class of 1999 many years ago, never realizing it was a "sequel" of sorts. Wish it were available on DVD, as I'd like to see it again.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Oh, and I loved Michael J. Fox as a living mushroom.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  9. DrHerbertWest

I loved Class Of 1984 as well as Vice Squad. Both movies I immensely enjoyed and strictly because of all the talk on this board.

10. geeare

geeare Guest

I just got finished watching Trilogy of Terror for the first time in YEARS and I was wondering if any one else out there has ever noticed the striking resemblance between John Karlen (Thomas from the second story "Millicent and Therese") and Tom Cruise. Holy shit, some of the camera angles on him really look like Cruise....and I'd say they both have the same acting skills.

11. Numania

Numania Guest

Microwave Massacre is the best movie I have ever seen.

12. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

have been behind on my updates. Hope to get to them in the next couple of weeks. Have been keeping track, just haven't seen too much. I'm still digging reading everyone's entries. Gives me ideas of what to watch all the time. Kudos to all.

13. DrHerbertWest

I've been thinking about picking this up and your vote of confidence is helping me make my decision.

14. DrHerbertWest

Just got done watching Visiting Hours. Now I'm wondering why I even bothered, haha. Aside from an OUTSTANDING performance by Michael Ironside, not much kept my attention. I just kept checking the running time and wondered when something exciting might happen. I would very mildly recommend this, and even then, I'd only recommend it to people who enjoy Michael Ironside and/or William Shatner looking astonished.

15. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

Well, I blind bought this and received this in the mail today. I have no idea what to expect but I enjoy Michael Ironside *way* too much so I'm looking forward to it!

16. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I watched it last night and loved it all over again. It's just fabulous, especially due to Michael Ironside's performance. If you like him, you will be on board for this. It's a real treat. Lee Grant's pretty kick ass in this too. Plus, there's Shatner. You just can't lose.

17. DrHerbertWest

At least we agreed on Ironside. :lol:

18. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Is there anything more important than that? I don't think so. :p

This movie lives and dies with his performance. How much you can get into his character and just watching him act pretty much dictates how much you like it.

19. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I love Ironside in that and also in Scanners. He's a great actor.

I really need to pick up Visiting Hours very soon, despite the crusty-ass menus.

20. DrHerbertWest

And the lame cover! :fire:

I just watched Dario Argento's Opera for the first time. Wow. I really enjoyed this movie... The acting, cinematography, music, everything blended really well together.

And for those who haven't seen it...
    The scene where the killer shoots through the peep hole in the front door? AMAZING. Best scene in an Argento movie, EVER.

I'm glad I bought the two-disc limited edition of this now.