Comment on the Track the Films You Watch Thread: 2006

Discussion in 'General' started by rhett, Jan 12, 2006.

1. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Haha, no hate. Only love. But seriously, it's a very disturbing movie so be prepared going into it.

2. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I agree with the good Dr. I am totally impressed with JG-L these days. MYSTERIOUS SKIN was fucking amazing--but totally disturbing. I still can't get over the fact that they have it in un-edited form at the local Blockbuster!!! Wow.
    BRICK was a great idea and, for the most part, very well done. But I felt that the actors needed more time to practice their dialogue. It's so outdated that they seem totally uncomfortable with it--like their learning a foreign language. Some rehearsal time might have done wonders, as I too had to put the Closed Captioning on as well. But for an indie, it's pretty good stuff.

3. DrHerbertWest

I looked up Mysterious Skin at work and apparently, the R-Rated disc is OOP and the Unrated disc is currently in moratorium. We have a copy I can pick up (and will on Friday) for $7.99, which is the unrated version, the same cut I saw/rented.

4. DrHerbertWest

Still waiting on onebyone's reaction to Mysterious Skin..........

5. onebyone

onebyone Guest

It mailed out from netflix today, so I should hopefully have it soon. It had to wait a bit until I got caught up with Carvinale Season 2.

6. DrHerbertWest

I've been meaning to check out Carnivale, but I need to finish up my mingling with Nip/Tuck, Deadwood, Weeds & Six Feet Under before I pick a new show. :D

7. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

April Fools Day. Loved it! Though I saw the ending coming from a mile away. Than again, there were parts that I thought it might not happen... so maybe I didn't 100% know it.

8. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Well, the reaction is quite literally a crushing pain in my chest. It's like sadness is stepping on me or something. I think this movie might be the first I have ever seen that made me too sad to even cry.

Usually when I am told a movie is "oh so shocking and disturbing," it turns out to be cheap and eye roll inducing. This movie really was different in that it, in a very real manner, it also dived into the psychological impact of child abuse. Turns out, that is the most horrifying thing of all. It wasn't just the abuse that made the movie almost an ordeal to watch, it was seeing the aftermath being played out almost subconsciously in completely innocent scenes. Having the audience know exactly why the two leads were acting like they were when they didn't even seem to grasp it was a great, albeit quite cruel, storytelling tool.

In conclusion, you were right. The movie is an exceptional one. However, it is immediately going into the vault with other great movies like "In The Company of Men" that I don't ever, ever need to see again. I am sure that the characters will stay with me forever though. It really was that good.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2006
  9. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Watched Legend of Hell House and Munich for the first times.

I thought Legend was decent, but it wasn't as scary as I hoped it'd be. Still, one of the better haunted house movies.

Munich was a bit slower than I thought it would be, but was still really enjoyable. I might even go as far as to say it is Speilberg's best movie, and his crowning achievement in filmaking. Not that I'm saying it's my favourite movie by him, but I think it is his best. It was such a powerful movie, so well shot, acted, everything about it was perfect. And most importantly it made you think afterwards. Recommended to anyone that hasn't seen it.

10. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Just finished watching Down in the Valley. Hands down the best movie I've seen this year. Amazing film. It comes out on DVD on Tuesday, I recommend checking it out.

11. DrHerbertWest

I completely agree with everything except for the "never watch it again" remark. We had a used copy at work and instead of buying it, I rented it first. Now, finding out the Rated DVD is OOP and the Unrated DVD is in moratorium, I'm glad I did... I definitely won't be watching it often but it's one to break on occasion. Glad you thought it was worthwhile.

12. Just watched " Scream Bloody Murder (1973) " this morning, i though it was a pretty decent little slasher B-movie. The story is simple a young guy goes on a killing rampage, who first runs over his father with a tractor. Also just last night i watched the movie " House of the Dead (1978)" but the original name in Alien Zone, which is stupid as it has nothing to do with aliens. Well anyways this is an anthology of four stories, i liked this one as the stories didn't bore me to tears. The first and third story is by far the best, and this movie even stars Bernard Fox " Bewitched " Dr. Bombay.

13. DrHerbertWest

Watched Amityville '92 last night.

Duuuuud.

14. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

:(

Damn, I love me some Amityville 1992 cheese. Excellent film to make fun of :D

15. DrHerbertWest

I've watched an odd mix of films the past two days.

The Break Up was last night. Good film with a few moments of hard laughing, but the rest of it was pretty serious and heartbreakingly realistic. After watching it with my girlfriend of seven years, we clutched each other pretty tight during some moments.

Abominable was my late night viewing after she went to bed. Even better than the first time I saw it on TV. Amazing monster movie and watching the 'Making Of' featurette with director Ryan Schifrin was cool too, especially to see all of his influences.

I woke up and chose Funny Games to watch first this morning (It's my day off, gimme a break). What an intense and sickening movie. I enjoyed the tense moments, the implied violence and harassment really got to me too. However, the ending left me feeling really upset. I won't spoil it but I was feeling a little better after the interview with Haneke. Very powerful movie.

I've been way behind on some of the great Blue Underground releases, so I gave them a rent. How To Kill a Judge was pretty good. I saw the ending coming about halfway through the film but it was well done with an excellent job by Franco Nero. Then it was the Pyjama Girl Case. Weird little 'whodunit?' but I enjoyed it. Not as much as I thought, and not as much as I liked another recent BU release (Black Belly Of The Tarantula) but it's good.

Next up: Either Fifth Cord or Forbidden Photos Of a Lady Above Suspicion. Hmmm.

16. DrHerbertWest

Watched American Dreamz last night. Seemed like it would be a pretty smart off-the-wall comedy but instead, I felt like I was watching George W. Bush, Laura Bush, Dick Cheney, Simon Cowell, and Mandy Moore's rehashed character from Saved! all hanging out and acting dumb. Some moments that had me hooked but overall, a mess.

17. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

October Top 10

Here are my October top 10 "best of" from movies I watched for the first time:

10. Abominable (2006) - Excellent blend of cheese & thrills.
    09. The Devil's Hand (1962) - Satanic cults & cool visions. Gotta love the ending.
    08. An American Haunting: Unrated (2005) - Creepy.
    07. Dogs (1976) - Good horror film, very underrated.
    06. Monster House (2006) - Fun and very entertaining, not just for the kids.
    05. It! The Terror From Beyond Space (1958) - Classic Monster romp and the Inspiration for Alien.
    04. Village Of The Giants (1965) - Trippy, groovy & corny - great!
    03. The Omen (2006) - Can't touch the original but definitely one of the better recent remakes.
    02. Asylum (1972) - ... just blew me away!
    01. Slither (2006) - "What thing wants you to eat it?" :lol:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
  18. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Stolen from Billy

Here are my October top 10 "best of" from movies I watched for the first time:

1. The 7th Victim - I had never heard any hype about this movie. Hence, I was quite surprised when it turned out to be utterly fantastic. Loved it, loved it, loved it, loved it.

2. The Woods - Great characters and beautiful direction make me happy. Lucky's my guy.

3. Baby Blood - I keep thinking about this movie and smiling to myself.

4. Slither - Good but not totally raunchy horror comedy is hard to find these days, but this sure as hell delivered.

5. The Return of Dr. X - Humphrey Bogart, Geek Vamp. Enough said.

6. The Devil Doll - I could eat for years off the cheese in this one.

7. Mad Love - Peter Lorre as a madman driven madder by love. Amazing stuff.

8. Mark of the Vampire - A bit of horror, a bit of comedy, a bit of romance, and a bit of a detective story all combined to make one good movie. Plus, I could watch Bela Lugosi as a vampire for hours and never lose interest.

9. The Devil's Rain - Boy was I stupid for waiting so long to watch this one. What an ending!

10. Feast - I watched a few other movies better than this one in October, but this one was a more perfect October film.

Thanks to the Hollywood's Legends of Horror Collection for providing me with quality horror entertainment this month. I love this set.

My Biggest October Viewing Mistakes

1. Stay Alive
    2. Voodoo Moon
    3. The Last Broadcast
    4. Masters of Horror: Imprint :rolleyes:

19. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Good idea, you guys.

I had exactly ten first-viewings of Horror films in October. So, I'll list my Top 5

5. C.H.U.D. (1986) This was a film I had wanted to see since I was a kid. Finally got around to it. And it didn't disappoint. I liked the 80s cynicism.

4. Feast (2005) Right on! Good ol' fashioned action-horror flick. Man-in-suit creatures made for menacing baddies. Simple "plot," hot babes, and lots of blood.

3. Hellraiser (1987) Really everything I'd hoped. No desire to see this series through, but the original was a hell of a lot o' fun. Cenobites!

2. The Woods (2005) Great-looking film with a thick atmosphere. Fine performances, fun dialogue, an an extended appearance by The Chin himself. All this only made the studio's treatment of this film more tragic. (As well as the bare bones DVD. )

1. Slither (2006)
    "What's a 'gina'?" "It's a country, where Ginese people come from."
    Helped that I saw this on Halloween with game company. Fun, quick, and gorey. All right, all right, all right.

Mistakes I made:

The Lady in White (1988)
    Return to Horror High (1987)
    :fuck:

20. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

Saw this for the first time recently... Yeah, this movie sucks. HARD.