Comment on the Track the Films You Watch Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by rhett, Jan 1, 2007.

1. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Same here, I really need to see this. However, from what I've heard, it's not as brilliant as some people say. I've been warned not expect anything truly terrific, just a good comedy that's been over-praised in some circles.

But as I say, I haven't seen it so I don't know, but I've been told ...

2. DopeChamberX

DopeChamberX Guest

Got to see Reno 911!: Miami last night at a special screening. Pretty damn funny movie. Definately not the funniest movie I've seen lately but it is the best since Borat came out. Best part of the night though was that after the movie Deputy Travis Junior, Deputy Trudy Wiegel & Lieutenant Jim Dangle were there for a Q & A afterwards (I say their character's names, since they came in character to answer the questions). Priceless :lol:

3. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

So, anyone out there seen Marie Antoinette? I was thinking about starting a thread on it, but didn't really know what to write, except I thought it was wonderful and gorgeous and brilliant. I think Sofia Coppola may be the real deal. One more film of this caliber and I'm a fan for life!

4. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Saw it back when it was in theatres. It was a nice little film and definitely gorgeous to look at, but I've yet to be really blown away by Coppola jr.

5. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Great movie. Great production values, great cinematography, great acting, great story, funny, and the music is superb.

6. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

:eek2:

7. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Ok, I just came from seeing Dreamgirls, which I thoroughly enjoyed for what it was.

Now, I understand and accept that some people simply don't like musicals. Some people don't "get" them, some aren't used to them and some just actively dislike them (which is to say, my flatmate).

So why do these people go to see this film on opening night and then laugh or moan/sigh loudly when the characters start to sing? Is it so unimaginable that people would actually sing and dance in the MUSICAL Dreamgirls? Just what did these people expect, exactly?

I'm willing to bet these are the same people who spent money to see The Exorcist when it was re-released only to laugh at it because it's "cool" to laugh at old horror movies. I'm actually glad they spent their money on such a worthless experience, but I just wish they'd done it when I wasn't sitting in front of them ... :fire:

8. DopeChamberX

DopeChamberX Guest

I had the same thing happen the fist time I saw this. I was at a free screening and everytime someone would start to sing this guy right in front of me would throw his hands up in the air and make some jackass comment about how they just sung something. See, I don't know about him, but when I attend a musical I expect a good majority to be sung. Some people are just retarded. Why he felt the need to sit through the whole movie doing that, instead of just walking out, since he would not have lost any money, is beyond me. :rolleyes:

9. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Yeah. This kind of experience makes you wonder why on earth you bother to go the cinema anymore. Not that I'm quitting the theatrical experience, but sometimes watching films at home is far more satisfying.

10. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I'm embarassed to admit this, but here it goes: I finally sat down and watched Rocky all the way through for the first time in my twenty-two years of living. I really enjoyed it and I can finally understand why people say it's one of the, if not THE, greatest sports films of all time.

Just watched Eddie Murphy's Delirious for the first time, too. I can't believe how hilarious he was with every single joke he told. Just his charisma and delivery were fantastic. It makes me wonder why Doctor Doolittle, Daddy Day Care, I-Spy, etc. is coming from this same person now when he used to be so good. Not that all of his films have been terrible, but still....You'll have to pardon me if I don't remember him well... I was born in 1984 so I wasn't around when he was breaking out big.

Anyway, two good films. I'm watching The Science Of Sleep right now. Gael is da man~!!

11. indiephantom

It's getting to be a chore just to see beside people at any screenings. I personally have always loved musicals, but I know it's a welcome opportunity for jackass to make aloud comments. Horror movies or thriller stuff is even harder to sit through with an audience. Kids are always shouting out stuff or laughing etc.

I just recently saw and enjoyed Alpha Dog with the exception of a group of asshole kids who were just there because Justin Timberlake was in it. They laughed or mocked several scenes including a brutal killing. Guess they didn't get the point of the film.

But I've heard as many stupid things from adults in audiences. I still love going to the cinema, but it's certainly gotten worse as far as respect etc. Don't get me started on cell phones...:cry:

12. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I know! People can be idiots. As soon as I get a big-screen TV or a good projector, I'm going to seriously cut back on my trips to the cinema. It's getting way too expensive anyway! :(

13. indiephantom

that's another great point. I was visiting my parents last week and realized it would be cheaper to buy the DVD release than for us all to go to the film at a theatre.

I've cut down my moviegoing, but I also kind of dread the idea of not having cinemas to go to someday, so I'll support it when I can.

14. DopeChamberX

DopeChamberX Guest

Got to see Norbit last night. Very hilarious. Was a little leery at first about another Eddie Murphy movie where he plays multiple characters, but turned out really well. The make-up effects used for turning him into Rasputia were done really really well. One downside, Cuba Gooding Jr. has a supporting part in it, lucikly though, he was not meant to be like in it.

15. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

After watching Eddie Murphy's Delirious and two back-to-back interviews on the DVD and BET respectively, I've garnered a lot more appreciation for his humor. I originally wanted to see Norbit but then felt it might be a dud. Thanks for the reinforcement.

16. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

I think TBS just tricked me into watching My Best Friend's Wedding with dinner.

It's not a very good movie or a really bad one. It's not very funny or very moving. It only is.

edit: Holey moley, that was my first film of February. For shame.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  17. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

I'm always pretty hesitant about a movie that has a 10% rating on rottentomates.

18. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Watched this tonight. Pretty funny premise. Although it was populated with basically four or five running jokes, the humor sustained. Luke Wilson did his usual straight-man routine--mildly incredulous, happily bored. I'm not sure how well this would have done in theaters, but I thought it was funny and would recommend it.

19. indiephantom

Me too, but I like to use the My Critics feature to cut down on the critics I never agree. Norbit earned a My Critics score of 50%, as did Hannibal Rising, so it sounds like it could either way as to whether I like it or not.

20. rhett

rhett Administrator

I'm not really in the "Hitchcock is great" camp. He's introduced cinema to many great themes and techniques, but its taken more experimental filmmakers, with greater freedom and creativity to make great films from his great concepts. THE TENANT and BODY DOUBLE are, by comparison, much more interesting films than Hitchcock's REAR WINDOW. Had Hitch more freedom from studio sterility, then perhaps his works would age better, but to me many of them seem too reserved to really leave an impact. That said, I still enjoyed NOTORIOUS, but not quite the way I'd hoped.

I'm not a Del Toro fan. At all. The man has an eye for creature design, but really, whether he's making horror sequels, comic book extravaganzas or Important Statements About Franco's Regime, he's still just one big horror geek. What he's essentially done with PAN'S LABYRINTH is take all the subtleties of great anti-Franco Spanish works like THE SPIRIT OF THE BEEHIVE and ANNA AND THE WOLVES and transformed it into obvious, critic-friendly allegory. It is this attempt to pander to the mainstream that makes this weaker than usual for Del Toro.

And THE WICKER MAN 06: pwns.