Comment on the Track the Films You Watch Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by rhett, Jan 1, 2007.

1. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

I like De Palma as much as the next guy, but Body Double is just hilarious, I can't compare it to Hitchcock with a straight face at all. Most of De Palma's thrillers are just taken from Hitchcock blueprints, with a few modern camera techniques thrown in. Polanski, on the other hand, is brilliant, and many of his earlier films could be deemed as modern-day Hitch.

I'm not a big fan either, outside of Cronos, but I loved Pan's Labyrinth. I can see the parallels with The Spirit of the Beehive, but I'd say Beehive is a more alienating experience, one that is probably MUCH more personal to the director and to people who lived in that era than someone who didn't. I'm sure most people, myself included, can identify with PL much easier, as even without the setting, one can reminisce on being a child in a bad situation where imagination lets you escape.

2. rhett

rhett Administrator

De Palma did a lot more than just update camera techniques. He took Hitch's themes and exposed them for what they were - turning them over to reveal the dark underbelly of waht before had been passed off as thrilling entertainment. De Palma knows in REAR WINDOW, when James Stewart pulls out longer and longer lenses when Grace Kelly is over, that he isn't just pulling out longer and longer lenses.

That was part of my problem with the film, and part of the reason why I did enjoy it somewhat. I thought Del Toro was again marginalizing his creativity by trying to tone down his visuals for a mass crowd to easily identify with. At the same time though, for sure, the way he evokes the power of a child's imagination to heal in times of hardship are definitely the film's finest moments. Interesting, too, when you compare the opposite effects that fantasy has on Ana in BEEHIVE and Ofelia in PL.

3. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

agree with you wholeheartedly. Man, I adore those films.

4. onebyone

onebyone Guest

This statement is truth. Truth I tell you. The damn truth. The whole truth and nothing but the truth.

5. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

DrHerbertWest, I see you watched Murphy's Law for the first time! Awesome flick!

6. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

:D

That film was a pain to watch back in the days. For the sake of cheese I wouldn't mind a revisit if it ever gets released on DVD ...

7. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

IT WAS HORRIBLE! The music was always too loud so you could never hear the dialouge (which was atrocious anyway), and when there was more than one person talking in a scene, it was as if they had the mic in one spot, so the people furthest away you couldn't hear at all. The story was boring and uninteresting. And the hopping Chinese vampires was the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. WOW! A killer Energizer Chinese vampire is hopping after me! SCARY! NOT!

8. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Stopped by my parents' place today and watched The Punisher with my dad on his killer plasma tv. We had some good laughs at the film. Rebecca Romaine-Lettuce has to be one of the worst actors around. She was wooden in that film. Literally made of wood. Literally. She was a wooden figurine. Her father was Geppetto and he brought her to life through magic.

This was a total smash 'em up flick. It was like a monster truck rally. If I am ever hungover on a Sunday afternoon again and it comes on tv, I'll re-watch it.

The Punisher: "I've got work to do. Read your daily paper and you'll see."

Wooden figurine: "What section?"

The Punisher: "The obituaries."

My dad: "That was a good one."

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  9. rhett

rhett Administrator

After I watched it last year I searched the web for some good reviews that would enlighten me on the brawler I just saw. I wish I had read this post. And I also wish I had met your dad. You must write more of these mini-reviews, Work.

10. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Ha ha, will do, man.

11. DopeChamberX

DopeChamberX Guest

Just watched The Astronaut Farmer tonight and it was kind of, eh. Bily Bob & Virgina Madsen were great, as usual, but the film was just a tad too predictable and maudlin for my tastes. You can predict the exact moment a character will pass away in the film from the very moment they walk on screen. It was a passable movie, nothing spectacular. There was some laughable CGI near the end of the movie that totally drew me out of the story. Recommended for a rental or a matinee.

On a side note, after the movie Billy Bob Thornton, the write and the director were there for a Q&A afterwards, what is with people asking the stupidest questions at these things? :confused: When I saw a screening of The Fountain last year, a lady actually asked Darren Aronofsky if he liked Red Vines. :rolleyes: Makes me a little embarased to be in the same room as these people, lol.

12. rhett

rhett Administrator

Well...does he? :D

13. DopeChamberX

DopeChamberX Guest

LOL, he does, but then they proceeded to try and give him some of their candy. He understandably looked a little freaked.

14. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Yeah! It's actually my favorite Charles Bronson film so far and I've watched a lot now. So many quotable lines, so much sweet action... It's all one big guilty pleasure.

15. DrHerbertWest

I just watched Southern Comfort last night. Directed/written by Walter Hill and starring Keith Carradine, Powers Boothe, Fred Ward, Peter Coyote and a couple other recognizable faces.

All I can say is.... Wow! I purchased it after reading a review in DVD Delirium and I really enjoyed it. For those that like a mystery plot, it's got it. You like violence? Got it. Suspense? Definitely. Good acting? All the way around.

I can't recommend this enough to people who haven't seen it... Go rent it!

Oh, and as far as the plot goes... A handful of U.S. Reserve Guards are sent on an overnight mission in Louisiana. When they realize their path has been washed out, they "borrow" (steal?) two boats from some Cajun trappers and move down the river. When the cajuns see them on the water, a nasty prank is pulled by the Guards that leads to the soldiers fighting for their lives.

16. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Hell yes. I stumbled onto this flick accidentally a few years ago when I saw a used copy for sale for $5 at Blockbuster. I had never heard of it but thought it might be good for a laugh--but it pretty much rocked. I can't believe it doesn't have more of a fan base.

17. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I agree Workshed's review was hilarious. :LOL:

DrHerbertWest, Southern Comfort is an amazing film. I have the DVD and previously owned it on VHS. This is one of those films that when you stumble upon it, like I did, it just bowls you over because it's so rarely mentioned. Tremendous.

18. BroodingHope

BroodingHope New Member

In referance to Norbit I liked the movie and thought it was funny but the film could have easily been trimmed by 20 minutes and it would have made it a lot better.

19. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Finally caught up with AB's Class Of 1984 and it was much more cheesier then I remembered :D
    Fun and violent flick with a cool title song by Alice Cooper. Class Of 1984 made me wanna watch The New Kids afterwards. I think both go well as a double feature.

20. DrHerbertWest

Aw man, I blind bought Class Of 1984 and loved it! That and Vice Squad, both blind buys, both great films that I enjoyed immensely.

As far as Southern Comfort goes, I'm really glad to see all the love for it. I thought no one would've known about it but very happy to find out otherwise!