Comment on the Track the Films You Watch Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by rhett, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Luna

Luna Guest

Don't forget to follow up with Class of 1999!

2. rhett

rhett Administrator

EXPLAIN YOURSELF

3. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Damnedest thing. I fell down the stairs.

4. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

If there's a movie that would benefit from a director's cut / extended / unrated version then it would be The War Of The Roses. I watched the deleted scenes on the DVD yesterday and even Danny DeVito agreed it was a shame stuff had to be cut. The original version was 3 1/2 hours, about 30 minutes of deleted stuff made it on the disc.
    If Fox should ever decide to do a Director's Cut, I'd be happy to double dip :)

5. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Agreed! There's some really good stuff on that disc :D

Another one in the same vein would be Death Becomes Her. Apparently there was a lot cut from that film, including a rather large character! :)

6. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

Just finished watching Devil's Den starring Ken Foree and Kelly Hu. This is a horrible From Dusk To Dawn rip-off that should be avoided. If it wasn't for Ken Foree and the ultra hot Kelly Hu in it, I wouldn't have bothered to watch this mess. What a waste of two good actors.

7. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Thanks for the tip. I saw the trailer on the PELTS disc and I was curious about it. AB direct-to-video is pretty much to be avoided, it seems, but I have a weakness for horror cheese and strippers. I will pass, though.

8. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I got my hands on A GUIDE TO RECOGNIZING YOUR SAINTS over the weekend...watched it twice...then bought it when it hit the streets on Tuesday. Has anyone else had the pleasure of watching this one yet? It's a gritty street drama a la MEAN STREETS but set in the Queens of the 80s. The performances are stellar, the writing is vital and real, the music is spectacular, blah-blah-blah. And the fact that Channing Tatum is either shirtless or shirt-unbuttoned the entire time was nice as well. :D

9. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

We have a trailer for that film playing repeatedly on our promo reel at work. I've wanted to see it ever since we put it in. Thanks for the thumbs up. I'll post my thoughts when I rent it.

10. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Well, now I hope you don't hate it. :glasses: It may just be me, but I thought it was more "Scorsese" than THE DEPARTED. Old School, classic Scorsese; the kind of movie that made me fall in love with his talent.

And Dianne Weist is terrific, but I have always had a soft spot in my heart for her.

Anyway, hope you like it at least.

11. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

The Science of Sleep

12. indiephantom

You guys have to check out ZODIAC. It's an atypical Fincher film. Not gimmicky, but a very realistic depiction of a specific time and place. The mood stays with you long after the film. I was impressed. I've liked most of Fincher's other stuff (not so much The Game or Panic Room) but here is certainly raising the bar for himself.

13. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Rhett gives Doom Asylum a better score than E.T.! Amen, brother. Fuck ET.

14. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

:lol: :lol: :lol:

15. rhett

rhett Administrator

I have never changed my signature in my 7 years here, but I am seriously tempted by that legendary quote.

16. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I wonder what all the Rhettamaniacs would think if you did such a thing! Would the fanboys revolt? Only one way to find out.

I hate to be so hard on E.T., but I really hate the little bastard.

17. indiephantom

Hardbodies?

Hey Rhett,

I see you were enjoying some HARDBODIES lately. :lol: I know I rented that VHS tape when I was a kid. Did it mostly feature middle-aged dudes searching for nookie? Kind of like Spring Break for Dads.

I'm always working on my 80s sex comedy collection, so pass along any word on this film.

18. rhett

rhett Administrator

As much as I try to be a pretentious art film snob, I can never deny the pleasures of those 80s sex comedies. HARDBODIES was pretty fun, and even though it has three rich, old guys looking for love (probably surrogates for the producers) it mainly centers around a suave twentysomething (the guy from KILLER KLOWNS). Most of the acting is really bad (the actresses especially), but the main guy holds the film up well, and a surprise visit from Kathleen Kinmont (ironically the ONLY woman in the film not to take her top off) makes for fun times as well. I think of all the 80s sex comedies, this one has to take the award for best stunt coordination. Wholly shit, there are like 20 scenes where guys are falling off buildings, jumping off ladders, diving into hot tubs, etc. I've never ever noticed (or cared) about stunts in a sex comedy (maybe that awesome one in NERDS when Ogre drops the guy off the building) but HARDBODIES was actually noticably impressive. Lots of boobs, lots of sight gags and one-liners, and a cool summer party vibe helped elevate it a notch above the stanard comedy. Since you mentioned it though, SPRING BREAK still stands alone as my fav of the 80s sex comedy lot.

HARDBODIES was one of the last major sex comedies I had yet to see, even though it was always on store shelves at the old mom and pop place I rent from. It was a nice change, since after seeing most of the classics, I've been stuck trying to find worth in the Crown International movies (HOLLYWOOD HIGH please god let me never see again) or shit DTV stuff like PREPPIES. But search and ye shall find, there's always a diamond in the rough!

19. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Saw the Zodiac tonight. Bravo!

20. indiephantom

Yeah, I may have to go back and see it again. Great experience!