Comment on the Track the Films You Watch Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by rhett, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985)

What, just what happened here? My god, this was terrible. I came home last night after a boozy work dinner and put this on for the hell of it, and wow, what a shift from the original. I'd seen it before, but many years ago, and maybe it was the scotch that made me more of a discerning viewer. This did not work. At all. The story? Freddy is just running around at a pool party, stabbing people--all of whom are AWAKE? The filmmakers had the brilliant idea to lose the glove? And I kept expecting Huey Lewis to float in, singing "The Power of Love," since it that seems to be fucking theme of this film. Yikes. Misstep after misstep--even the kills were boring. A slash here, a stab there--and we as the viewer see the kills from the backside, rarely the full frontal gore. And then the ending: after attending a party were multiple people were killed and maimed, where the pool itself began to boil, where someone shows up with a shotgun and starts firing it openly into the crowd, where a burned-up undead serial killer appears and wreaks havoc, the next day on the bus the characters laugh, "Crazy party last night."

The homosexual subtext (if you can call it that) was incredible, however:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  2. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

[​IMG]
    Kristy (2013)

Never heard of this one until recently, similar to The Strangers but on a college campus. Wasn't expecting much but once it kicks in it has some real suspense and works pretty well. On Netflix now, worth a look.

3. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

Last night I did two RiffTrax: The Night Dracula Saved Halloween (aka The Halloween that Almost Wasn't) and Rollergator. I then watched Syngenor and Skeeter. Syngenor was the winner of the night with David Gale acting his balls off.

4. Workshed

Dark Star: HR Giger's World (2015)

As a casual fan of Giger's work, I've been curious about the man behind the works that adorn metal albums, that made a horror film out of Alien, and contain more phallic symbols per print than probably any other artist.

What I saw, however, was a sweet and weird portrait of a recluse in his nightmarish-ly overstuffed home. Holy shit, this guy was a hoarder--and of his own work. You know, he talked about how he doesn't believe in an afterlife, so why then did he hold onto all that original work when he could have sold it and afforded a house-cleaner, a personal organizer, and possibly a dark-minded Feng Shui guru? His assistants were finding new material by him every day! Stacks and stacks of notebooks, prints, models, sketches, books, etc.--all teetering on the brink of collapse. Sell, sell, sell! Use that that money to at least buy a new bathroom sink and some soap, Giger, come on. The way he lived was incredibly uncomfortable--up and down crowded steps all goddamn day, through hallways that were slimmed by stacks of books and random miscellany, even after a stroke--and he died as a result of a fall. I shook my head throughout at the level of discomfort he put himself through in his later years.

As for the exploration of the work, well, let's say it was cursory. "You see, the babies represent birth and the skulls represent death." No shit, third wife. And that's about as deep as it goes. The birth canal "trauma" was fascinating--for the 30 seconds they spent on it. His work is so terrifying and full of insane concepts that they beg to be dissected, but not here.

Look, if you are a true fan of Giger, you're going to get a lot out of seeing how he lived in his later years, and Tom G. Warrior is in it for quite a bit, too, which is fun for metal heads. But anyone looking for insight into this unique artist's work should look elsewhere.

5. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

NetFlix now has Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films. Sadly, it was not long enough to cover all the craziness but what they covered was very interesting to me. It's more about the studio personally and doesn't go in depth about more than a handful of movies and even then it's just that it's a minute or two on it.

It made me add more movies to my watchlist and entertained me for its short running time, but it was a lot of stuff you probably already know and it leaves you wanting more.

6. rhett

rhett Administrator

Yeah, it was a fun little teaser about all the things you already know about godly Cannon Films. I'd recommend tracking down "The Go-Go Boys", which has a more personal history of Golan and Globus, complete with unfiltered testimonials with both of the guys. I liked it much better - it had more heart and information that we haven't all heard before. I was able to watch it for a few dollars on Vimeo by using a proxy to make my country appear to be from New Zealand here:

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/gogo

7. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

Yeah, I've been wanting to see that one too but haven't been able to get a hold of it. I haven't messed with VPN's or Proxies yet so I'll just have to wait a bit I guess.

8. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Electric Boogalo was by far the better doc of the two. Come on now.

9. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I kind of liked that. Didn't he have the glove on in some scenes though? Memory's fading, but he definitely had it on when he stroked Jesse's hair. (Right?) He only lost it during the pool party scene. (Right?)

Agreed.

I did like the ending. The coda, specifically. And I still think it had among the best camerawork of the sequels. But, the more I look at it, the more iffy I am about the gay subtext. The most interesting thing about the movie is how Jesse seems to be the only person fighting Teh Gay. Everyone around him is ridiculously accepting of it. The more he's like "I'M NOT!" the more he alienates his family, the more Grady stops flirting with him, and... well what the hell is that whole thing about with him sneaking into his sister's bedroom? And where's the pressure from society that we don't see impacting his breakdown he has when he screeches "what do I have to do to make you understand me?!" to Lisa?

Kerry was awesome though. Like a stoner and a valley girl and comic relief and supportive best friend rolled into one. She deserved more screentime.

10. Workshed

A gentle reminder for the good-hearted folks in the Track the Films You Watch thread:

[​IMG]

11. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I just checked and it was me... Though I'm not sure how that happened...I deleted that post. I'm not sure why it showed up that way since I thought I was in the "edit" function of my original post. At any rate, problem solved...

Workshed likes this.
  12. Workshed

I wasn't going to name names. :cool:

13. Angelman

The "anonymous shaming" usually does the trick.

14. Workshed

15. Angelman

I saw "The Land" tonight at Sundance, very, very good feature from young filmmakers that takes a familiar inner city story and really brings something fresh to it.

16. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The link on the 2016 thread to this one is bad, btw.

After a month and a week of tracking the films I watch, it occurs to me how few films I watch now, and when I do very few of them are horror. I guess when it comes down to it very few modern horror movies look interesting to me. God knows there are tons of them up on Netflix but they all just look like bad straight to video rip offs of better movies.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  17. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

The Invitation (2016)

Watched this over the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very much a slow burn full of paranoia kind of film with a strong payoff at the end. It's currently a 99 cent rental on Amazon. Recommended.

18. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

19. Fumi

Fumi Member

They're Watching (2016) - sort of a House Hunters goes to Eastern Europe type thing. The film crew finds a crappy old house for a woman, then they return 6 months later to see how she's fixed it up. The superstitious locals believe a witch once lived in the house - could they be right? Most of this was just banter between the TV crew, which was mildly entertaining. It was a sort of light-hearted slow buildup horror movie, but then you get to the total cheeseball CGI climax and it's like WTF? Did it just turn into a comedy? Surely they're not expecting anyone to take this seriously? Oh well, I've seen worse...much worse lol.

20. johnniewalk

johnniewalk New Member

Recently i seen conjuring - 2, it's k but compare to 1 it is not so good..