Comment on the Track the Films You Watch Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by rhett, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

I watched Ticks the other night for the first time in probably 18 years. It was fucking awesome.

"They call me Panic, cuz I never do!"

upload_2016-8-1_7-44-8.jpeg

MorallySound likes this.
  2. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Lats night, I re-watched The Last Picture Show (1971). Cloris Leachman's character and portrayal are so devastating; she broke my heart, thinking about a woman trapped like that in the 1950s. How suffocating that must have been, how hopeless. Leachman's Academy Award is well-deserved. The portrayal of women in this film is so sly. McMurtry lures you in, thinking this is a 'Good ol' boys' film, but then reveals that it's about so much more than the male leads. Leachman, Ellen Burstyn, Eileen Brennan, and of course Cybill Shepherd deliver performances that would be difficult to match today.

Ben Johnson as Sam the Lion was perfect, however. So satisfying to see that he won an Oscar for this as well. What a film.

From wiki:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Workshed

Re-watched Jaws (1975) last night. Most of it still holds up, and there are at least two scares that continue to really deliver. In the underwater scenes, I had a tough time distinguishing the real v. fake shark--40 years later.

What didn't hold up for me: the score. Yes, yes, the iconic 'Duh-nuh, duh-nuh, duh-nuh, duhnuhduhnuhduhnnuh' is still brilliant. But the rest? It's almost as if John Williams scored a children's film. Near the end, when the men are building the shark cage, John Williams makes it sound as if the guys are in the backyard on a Saturday, yucking it up, rather than a life-or-death situation. He peppers the film with 'Tee-hee!' fills, almost to buffer the terror with giggles. Maybe this film was too scary for 1975's audiences and John Williams was instructed to lighten it up, because I was baffled by most of his choices.

4. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

I agree with you. It's definitely a borderline goofy score at the scene you referenced. I watched this over the summer in my pool on the projector. It was all kinds of awesome.

Workshed likes this.
  5. Workshed

Gods of Egypt (2016)

How can a film with this many cool ideas, crumbling tombs, awesome monsters, and ample cleavage be so bad? So very bad. It's not like I went into this expecting a grand narrative, but really, was no thought given to the plot? In ancient, white Egypt, the gods stand ten feet tall and can transform into armor-plated, anthropomorphic mech-warriors when threatened. One day, British Egyptian god Horus is challenged by his uncle, the Scottish Egyptian god Set, for the throne of all of Egypt or something, and ends up with his glowing eyes plucked out and imprisoned. Luckily, a young human thief is inexplicably able to out-maneuver traps set by the gods to find Horus and enlist his help to save his young, human true love. Yes, at the heart of this bright, bombastic film involving giant beetles, robots, gods who bleed liquid gold, and--did I mention this yet?--cleavage, lies a true love story. And it's terrible. It's so fucking terrible because no one gives a shit about this thief. He's annoying, silly, and completely overshadowed by all the awesome crap exploding in this movie that always gets pushed aside in favor of his love story.

Drinking game: take a drink every time a character casually introduces another to the audience. 'Hello to my uncle Set, who has a temper and is a fierce warrior unlike any other seen in this fine, whitewashed setting of Egypt. I hope he doesn't transform into a giant mecha-god and pluck out my eyes, because that would surely mean the end of me! Anyway, Uncle, what brings you here to my coronation?' Characters are constantly talking like this.

Also, this movie is terminally long. 2+ hours. I turned it off somewhere at the halfway point when I realized and I had to sit through the equivalent of what I just sat through.

You have to try really hard to make a movie that looks like this so unforgivably boring:

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

High Lane (2009)

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV9yYSu6qA4

Wrong Turn on a mountain. Nothing earth shattering here but pretty well done. And at a brisk 80 minutes it doesn't waste a lot of time. There's some effective mountain climbing shots that if you're afraid of heights you might want to avoid. But a good time killer. On Netflix right now.

7. Workshed

2016 Film Tracking RECAP!

• Number of films watched: 98 (-31% from 2015, where I watched 143 films)
    • First time viewings: 55
    • TV Seasons viewed: 33 (+200% from 2015, where I watched 11 TV seasons)
    Couple factors here: 1. Travel. I did so much traveling in 2016 that I did not, outside of watching films on planes, have as much time to sit down for films in 2016 as I did in 2015. Some months, I only saw a single film as a result. 2. TV! I blew through a couple of blind-spots in my TV viewing (The Wire and The Sopranos); plus, I was able to fit more hour-long or 30-minute viewings into my lifestyle instead of films.

As I am spending another 12 months in the UK in 2017, I expect my results to be the same, although I do want to hit 31 films in October (just missed it by 1 film in October 2016!).

Please keep tracking! I really enjoy looking at other posters' trackers and seeing trends and who is watching what. Happy New Year!

Angelman likes this.
  8. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm afraid I can't relate to those posters who say they have a hard time keeping this up! If I don't log the films I watch, I start to get a nervous tick. Looking forward to another year of watching and tracking!

Workshed likes this.
  9. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Question: how do some of you keep up the pace you do? Even pre-kid, pre intense job I probably, at most, hit 400.

Between work, kid etc. it's impossible to keep up that pace.

10. Workshed

I've never come close to cracking 200. it's a mystery to me. I respect it, tho.

11. Angelman

I do to. I went through a three year period about 10 years ago where I really worked to see all the horror and historically "best" mainstream films I could. But these days with a kid? Not a chance.

12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

It does sound high, but upon reflection I can see 400.

My friends marvel when I hit 100 usually by the end of summer. But for me I watch just about one MST3K episode a week (broken up as 45 minutes a day during lunch on work at home day plus at least another meal time one weekend day Sat/Sun) and one Svengoolie episode a week. 52 weeks a year times 2 movies a week = 104. So I do a quarter of 400 without even blinking. Add the usual weekend movie and the steady effort to go to the theater once a week and you've got 208. Even still, with my 31 horror films in October I personally only got 214 films in during 2016. But I'm picky about going out to theaters. With a little more rigor I can see doubling that, as the schedule I just described for myself is relatively light. Basically one or two movies during the week and then double features most of the weekend.

But man, I usually call timeout in November. Even just one movie a night though October burns me out; and that's with me pre-planning earlier so I don't have to think about it in October. If it weren't for my regular MST3k/Svengoolie routines I probably wouldn't watch much of anything November/December. That's when I really collapse. I try to do a Turkey Day marathon with Black Friday and all the Holiday movies I can stomach, but it gets tough after the gauntlet that is October.

But even then in 2015 it looks like I fell short of 200 at 196. Life finds a way (to interfere ;) ).

13. Angelman

There was one year in particular. My wife was working Saturdays and I was really set on seeing everything so I might knock out 4 films on a Saturday and mix in others at night.But that was EXHAUSTING. And now as a real "grown up"? impossible.

I've been on a roll here in Jan, but at most - even with film festivals I attend - probably 150-200 max.

14. Angelman

Slumber Party Massacre 2:

I forgot how ridiculous it was. And what ever happened to Kim McArthur, she could act decently in addition to being pretty easy on the eyes.

15. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

Watched Blair Witch (2016) tonight. Had heard nothing but negative reviews but I dug it for the most part. I get that it's mostly a rehash of the original, different characters just doing the same thing but it still worked, in my opinion. Maybe my expectations were already set pretty low. The last 15 minutes were pretty great, I thought. I can't imagine watching it again but worth a one time rental, I think.

16. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Extract. Based on Watas's recommendation.

It was alright, as a film. Mildly amusing as a 91 minute diversion. Though not much of a follow-up to / subversion of Office Space for a workplace comedy about a lot of the exact same things. Kristen Wiig had the only decent character. It should not have been a film about Bateman's sad sack, however. The guy was to blame for everything that happened to him. Mila Kunis's crime streak made no sense. Music stores have no security tags / alarms? Why couldn't Gene Simmons report his car stolen? Why did she keep Beth Grant's tacky purse after she emptied it of all the stuff inside?

17. Workshed

I am a big fan of Studio Ghibli, so I was baffled by my first-time viewing of Spirited Away (2001, in original Japanese with subs). To get it out of the way: I was delighted by the visuals and the care with which the film was animated. Of course I was; it's a delightful film to watch.

But the story is so lazy and haphazard. This boy is a dragon!
    But first he was a lake.
    Also, he loves Chihiro for some reason and she loves him back because they just do. Character motivations are convenient or otherwise pulled out of thin air (the witch-sister hates her other sister because she hates her other sister. No other explanation is given). The 'rules' of the spirit world follow a similar template: things just happen because the plot needs them to happen. And they happen at will. See the character No-Face: awesome visual, terrible motivations. Why does he do anything that he does? We never know, because he unceremoniously drops outs in the final third.

I hoped that the script would resolve with an emotional resonance but I was so divested from the storyline that by the time the eye-rolling ending--
    'It was all a dream--OR WAS IT?'
    --came to pass, I was ready for it to be over.

Again, beautiful film--the character designs were inventive and cute and scary and gross and everything you want from the Studio Ghibli film. The rest was a disappointment.

18. Angelman

I finally got around to watching Code Red's Blu of Andy Milligan's BLOOD. The print needed some restoration/color correct (though later in the film it settles down, scratch-wise) but I was surprised at how much I liked it. Now, it's bad, and it suffers from no set design (the modern kitchen in a 1800s period film) but the acting was decent and the plot fun. Cheap, bad sound, focus issues... but still an interesting watch.

19. Angelman

And tonight was the stellar BFI Blu of Milligan's Nightbirds. I'm really digging his films.

MorallySound likes this.
  20. Angelman

I watched the German Blu of Bigas Luna's Anguish tonight. There is definitely a better transfer to be had but it was fine. Just the blacks were mushy, the frame often hazy and the color too yellow. I do love the film, though. The way the storylines intersect, etc.