Comment on the Track the Films You Watch Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by rhett, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

I actually watched Beauty and the Beast last night (on blu) for the first time ever. Wife was amazed how good it looked. I tried to keep the comments to myself during it so she could enjoy it as much as possible. But help my fuck was it difficult LOL

"What's the difference between the Beast and that sick fuck from from Ohio that kept those women as slaves in his basement for years? The one that offed himself in jail."
    "Well...... that didn't take long or much convincing. Imprisoned the bitch against her will, fight off a couple of wolves and now all of a sudden she just accepts this fact? Like, alright, I guess I'm gonna live here now......in this massive mansion with the talking candle stick......and a fucking beast the next room over...... Good gravy"
    (the ending) "Wow........looks like everything went her way huh? Don't think it could have gone any better lol"

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  2. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I watched Severin's Blu of Axe tonight and it's been maybe 10 years since I've seen it. It's such a painfully dull film. Every take goes on forever, even the credits go on for forever. There is some mood and some nicely framed shots here and there but it is way to slow.

The Blu itself won't win awards, but looks ok minus some damage/specs.

3. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I'm such a 90's whore, says Watas, that last night I... watched a Marilyn Monroe movie from the 50's.

[​IMG]

And, as per usual, I'm glad that movies in the millennium suck so badly because I enjoyed this one A LOT. At first, it seems like it's Anne Bancroft's movie about her splitting from her current boyfriend, then we shift violently into Marilyn Monroe's storyline which is pitched somewhere between her feeling crappy about being poor and having been recently released from an institution for attempting suicide. At first, we think she's depressed. Soon, we learn it's a lot more.

Excellent movie. Highly recommended.

4. Angelman

I watched Severin's Blu of The Baby last night. Highly reccomended. Thought the movie was pretty well acted, not your run of the mill shocker and caught me off guard with its twists. The transfer seemed waxy and soft to me. Need to check reviews...

5. Natas

Watched Intruder for the first time last night. Holy fuck, why did I wait so long????? Haven't had that much watching a flick in a while. Just pure 80s cheese at it's finest. Kinda slow to start, but the shitty 80s dialog kept me laughing and engaged. Then once the kills start they don't really stop. Fun deaths, great blood splatter, just as entertaining at its gets as far as I'm concerned. I got the dvd/blu ray two disc combo and decided to watch the regular dvd first on the projector. What a blast. But I'm looking forward to rewatching it on blu ray soon, possibly this week.

If I was more computer savvy, I'd love to create a gif when one of the teenagers kisses the girl on the nose......like the most awkward thing I've ever seen. Kinda goes in for a smooch.... but bails and just goes for a peck......on her nose. I couldn't stop laughing.

Angelman likes this.
  6. DVD-fanatic-9

It was good cheese, for awhile. I definitely liked the first 40-something minutes.

7. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

It's Disney. You just have to roll with it. Yet Something Wicked This Way Comes won't ever get a Blu-Ray release. :rolleyes:

8. Angelman

Still waiting on a Blu Ray for The Black Hole.

9. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Exactly. Disney has distanced themselves from these films.

10. Natas

Caught Fist Fight in the theaters over the weekend. Highly recommend it........mindless solid R rated school comedy. Almost entire flick takes place at the school. Charlie Day is great as always and Ice Cube plays his role perfectly. There was one scene in particular at Charlies daughters talent show......where she dedicates her performance/song to a bully that's been picking on her. Help my fuck, I had tears rolling down my face. That 2 minute scene was worth the price of admission alone.

11. DVD-fanatic-9

I rather disagree. Mainly because it's more fun to hear people tear plots like Beauty and the Beast to shreds.

Though- I get a little less inclined to go with the flow / the crowd when it comes to a film like Pocahontas, on the other hand. Disney wanted to make their film with their own "account of history." Which is to say: none. And people complained that they "mystified" Native Americans / showed them as having magical powers by virtue of being non-white. Which is stupid, because there were magical elements in every single one of their animated films in the 90's renaissance- period.

The Little Mermaid
    had a literal Sea Witch, Beauty and the Beast had a fairy enchantress put a spell on beast (AND his entire castle staff... which is completely unfair, they didn't do anything to deserve being cursed along with him; they had no choice but to serve Beast when he was a vain, selfish jerk) which came with a magic hand-mirror and a magic rose in a magic case and a magic spider-coach-thing that hauls Maurice away, Aladdin had a sorcerer villain and a wish-granting genie in a magic lamp, and The Lion King... holy shit. Seriously: after Scar kills Mufasa, the pride lands just... dry up. The sky turns dark, all the green and bright colors disappear. Magically. Scar does nothing wrong, at all, to bring on the droughts and the food supply drying out, etc. These things just happen. Out of nowhere. Moral / karma magic. THEN, when Simba comes home and fights Scar to the death... everything just turns back to being right again. What the fuck is that fucking shit??? Supernature. No other explanation. Then, Disney can't even make The Hunchback of Notre Dame without inserting magical self-esteem-boosting Gargoyle statues, or Mulan without a talking pocket dragon and literal elder spirits from the dead helping Mulan win.

Also: same rule applies to 20th Century Fox's / Don Bluth's Anastasia. Another complete "rape" of history. But... it's what they wanted to do. Each film makes its own rules. There's no rule that says if a film fictionalizes a real-life event, within reason- that is, that they can't re-write the behavior of various people or introduce things like magic where they wouldn't fit in reality.

(Obviously, where I draw the line is - for example - when a Christian filmmaker decides to make a movie about the Columbine shootings and invents a bunch of insufferable, phony indictments of media that desensitized the shooters. Or when films blatantly lie about other recent real-world history like civil rights, gay/trans rights, class warfare, the drug war- etc. When filmmakers have an agenda to criminalize minorities. That sort of thing. But Disney actually had an anti-aggression / anti-gun message in Pocahontas. Rather than Beauty and the Beast, where they send the message to women that they should can their dreams for adventure and have them bail on one controlling, patronizing man into the arms of another... with a library. If a man has books, it's okay for him to enslave you. That's the same thing as telling kids to get into a stranger's van if they have candy to avoid other strangers.)

12. Natas

Slumber Party Massacre parts 2 and 3. Watched them both on blu over the weekend for the first time.

I thought they were both OK. I think I enjoyed part 3 quite a bit more than 2. They both had their moments, but I felt part 2 contained some goofy unnecessary sequences involving the killer/rocker dude. I was happy I was watching it alone, because I would have been down right embarrassed showing this flick to a friend when the guy busts out dancing for a minute or two. It was bad. But part 3 didn't have such scenes and I felt the pacing was much better.

I also didn't like the fact that literally every single kill in both of these films, were done with the same weapon. Not one other method was used for a kill besides the drill. Couldn't throw in one decapitation or SOMETHING? Kind of got old

Overall I wasn't disappointed with my blind buy purchase. I had fun. Just wouldn't put these flicks under any "favorite" category of mine.....especially from that era. INTRUDERS on the other hand....... you can put that badboy in my favorite category all day and twice on Sunday. Fucking love that flick even more after watching it for a 2nd time.

13. Angelman

Mountaintop Motel Massacre (88 Films Blu)

I went in with the VERY lowest of low expectations, given the cover art, the reviews and the fact that the only reason I suckered myself into buying was because it came with a limited slipcover.

The bad: The acting atrocious. The plot is thin and the film gets off to a really slow, weak start.

The good: The movie is shot extremely well. I mean, the use of shadow and darkness really pushes the limit and the film is all the better for it. Most of the characters are framed almost exclusively in mid/close-up shots making the characters feel more present to the audience, more real. The color timing, if it is not revisionist color timing - is fantastic with a brown, drab mood laid over everything. Feels almost european, Belgian maybe, in it's look.

The production design is STELLAR. The rooms are rundown with bits of the girl's art subtly hanging in the background. Her room is a thing of nightmares. Broken dolls, cockroaches. All of it is uncomfortable. The underground section is claustrophobic and creepy.

There is no rhyme or reason to any of the killer's motivations. It's like a less sleazy, more weird and moody The Unseen. The effect is that I feel like I stumbled in to a situation that I don't fully understand - but understand or not, this weirdness is happening to me. Love that feeling.

Best of all the movie feels self contained and consistent within it's world and never breaks character. It's just compellingly odd. Even the editing - a slow, weird, patient burn - feels perfect.

A new favorite for sure, though admittedly not for everyone.

14. Natas

Caught The Green Inferno for the first time. I was one of those who waited and waited for this to be released after all the delays, then finally when it was released it got mixed reviews to put it best and a good buddy of mine said it was awful. He mentioned the tone was all over the place, like if Cannibal Holocaust had a three stooges soundtrack. So I put it off and pretty much forgot about it. Now it's on HBO, said fuck it and gave it a shot. I gotta say.......I enjoyed it a lot more than I anticipated. The gore was top notch, had an excellent pace to it, and I didn't feel the tone took anything away (aside from maybe the diarrhea scene that was a bit goofy). But yeah, always been an Eli Roth fan and I should have listened to myself as opposed to reviews and my friend....... entertaining popcorn cannibal flick!! Might have to just buy on blu ray now.

15. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I like Eli Roth too, but I absolutely hated Knock, Knock. It's been hard to drum up any interest in Green Inferno after that.

16. Natas

Man, I love Knock Knock. I understand the hesitation for Green Inferno though....... but with low expectations, I think you might be surprised how much you'll enjoy it. Characters borderline annoying but it's not really that story driven where it distracts from the action. I think the gore effects alone are worth a viewing. I also really dig the fact the tribe is real. Pretty cool little authentic touch, although has nothing to do with the movie itself.

17. DVD-fanatic-9

Ever see Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow? 99 minutes of sword decapitations. The same sword decapitation. Over. And over. And over. And over...

If you're just watching SPM2 for the first time, wait a couple years and give it another chance. It's much better on rewatch.

18. Angelman

Deadtime Stories (Scream Blu)

So - it was fine little time-waster. The first two segments were goofy but fine, light material with some reasonable home-grown effects.

But the Goldilocks segment at the end? Wow. There's no story, no laughs, no real effects. Was scratching my head at the hold thing.

Natas likes this.
  19. Natas

Appreciate your input, man...... I was on the fence with a blind buy. Believe I'll wait on this one.

20. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I personally love everything about Deadtime Stories. But I can understand the head-scratching with shift in tone from the previous stories to Goldilock's more over-the-top comedic tone (feels more like it belongs in an earlier in-house Troma comedy) but that's ones definitely grown on me with repeat viewings and plays a lot funnier too.