Comment on the Track the Films You Watch Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by rhett, Jan 1, 2007.

1. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I'll have to pick it up if it ever hits DVD. I'm still trying to figure out if PRIVATE SCHOOL is going to be available here in Canada this week, or if I'll have to import the thing.

2. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Just some quick notes on a few films I've watched so far this month:

Stranger Than Fiction was amazing. It tugged on my heart strings, made me laugh, made me think and it even had Will Ferrell in a serious role. I really, really enjoyed this movie all around.

For Your Consideration... Hmm, chalk me up as 'disappointed.' I thought it was funny and had some great scenes but overall I felt it was a few notches below Guest & Co.'s usual output. I love Best In Show & A Mighty Wind, but this didn't totally do it for me.

Found Snakes on a Train for $5 at Hollywood. Should've paid $2.50....

Zodiac was amazing. Gyllenhaal, Downey, Edwards, Ruffalo... Almost every one in this film was pitch perfect. I also give props to the look of the film. I felt like I was inside the past from 1969 on up. David Fincher just can't seem to do wrong in my book.

School For Scoundrels was terrible. I laughed at maybe two parts and I worship at the altar of both Old School AND Starsky & Hutch. Better luck next time.

I bought the 9 Deaths Of a Ninja/Killpoint DVD the other night. Only Brentwood would release both of these together as they are terrrrrrible. 9DOAN is easily the best-worst movie I've ever seen. Almost every line of dialogue and every scene comes out of nowhere. If you want cheese, this is 110% ripe for you. Killpoint was... Eh. It was cheesy but not as fun.

3. indiephantom

good idea with the summary. Maybe I'll start doing that at end-of-months. Gives a good perspective. I was curious about Stranger than Fiction so I might have to check it out.

4. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

1) Thank You for Smoking Jason Reitman/2005 - Pretty funny with a great cast but I wasn't crazy about it.

2) Vera Drake Mike Leigh/2004 - Great performance my Imelda Staunton.

3) In the Land of Women Jon Kasdan/2007 - Saw this one early. I was shocked at how much I liked it. Best performance by Meg Ryan in years and the kid from the OC does a great job. Just a super-solid drama.

4) The Illusionist Neil Burger/2006 - Norton is good, Biel looks good but... just wasn't feeling it as much as I though I might.

5) The Prestige Christopher Nolan/2006 - Really liked this except for one plot point at the end that shattered my suspension of disbelief and kind of violated the rules of the film.

6) Zodiac David Fincher/2007 - Excellent. This ran 2 hrs and 40 mins and I didn't notice at all - neither did my girl (the true test). This looked and felt like a 70s movie (All the President's Men, anyone?). Very un-Fincher, yet a film I could believe came from him. Having grown up in the Bay Area I could not believe how much he nailed the area with all the details. Just a flat-out good movie.

5. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

PATRICK STILL LIVES--Highly recommend this Italian flick...I remember catching the original PATRICK on the CBS late show long, long ago. This sequel has all the great Eurohorror elements....nudity throughout, elaborate gory kills, a great soundtrack, and goofy dialogue like "This man's death was the result of a fatality..."

6. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

i'll second that recommendation. i haven't seen them in a few years, but i enjoyed both Patrick movies quite a bit.

7. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

After watching the killer Resident Evil: Extinction trailer, I realized I'd put off Resident Evil: Zombie Rocket Launcher long enough. Milla Jovovovorich has really carved a nice niche here, hasn't she? She's the go-to babe when action needs a spinning, jump-kicking, jump-punching, guns blasting, semi-articulate, lithe action hero. And that's not a bad thing. She really sells it, that Milla, and she reprises most of her roles in this one, playing a breathy hero who sort of survived the first Resident Evil and is back to give all those fucking scientists exactly what they asked for.

In case you don't remember what happened in the first film, don't fret, you get to watch it all again as the films opens. And then, at the end of this one, you don't have to worry about remembering what you just watched because it's played again for you at the end. Thanks, Resident Evil! Alice may remember everything, but she tends to forget it pretty often.

This sequel is much more focused on the action this time around, exemplified in the scene where any reason is thrown out the window and the evil scientist (or government guy, whatever. The bad guys are interchangeably evil scientists or government types, or a combo sometimes.) demands, "Fight!"

Big explosions! Milla jumping!

I do wonder about that whole zombie DNA splicing thing. So, the DNA of an animated corpse can give Milla the powers of super martial artist, the aim of an expert marksman, and the instincts of a stuntman, but the little girl just gets the powers of walking? Maybe she'll grow into it.

And note to Resident Evil filmmakers: Lighten up on the mouth-breathing, warbly accented bad guys. I could understand Nemesis better than the main evil government guy: "Zees vill mean ze dee-struk-shun of all zee-vee herr za hertzog!"

This wasn't as good as the first one, but it still got me pumped for Extinction.

* I listened to the commentary with Milla and thought she was a riot. There are two other commentaries to seek any technical info you want on the filming of Apocalypse, if you're going to hate this commentary, at least do so for the pretentious interjections from the actress who played Jill. Look, lady, your character ran around blasting zombies in the least amount of clothing out of any other character (and Milla was naked part of the time!), so let's not get carried away. There was a zombie with a rocket launcher, remember.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  8. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

I guess I'll comment on Dukes of Hazzard: The Beginning. It had better intentions than the Dukes movie and even a slight fraction of the charm of the original series. If this had the production values of the Dukes movie, I'd write it off as OK. It's ridiculous in the fact that it shows origins for EVERYTHING! Even Daisy has an "origin". I rolled my eyes, but laughed all the same.

And April Scott is hot.

This is my fifth year birthday cake, BTW:

[​IMG]

I suppose I'll watch it again.

9. indiephantom

Yeah, the trailers pretty much sold me on this fact, at least.

10. DopeChamberX

DopeChamberX Guest

Just got home from seeing Disturbia. I was pleasently surprised. For a "teen" thriller, it was really good. David Morse was fucking creepy as hell. It got pretty suspenseful in a couple parts. Carrie Anne Moss was pretty much wasted in this :(, shame.

I also picked up the Ants/Tarantulas: The Deadly Cargo double feature from my local grocery store for under $5. Totally worth it. Haven't watch Tarantulas yet, but I remeber seeing Ants years ago on a pretty bad vhs recording. Hasn't aged very well at all, but total cheesy fun. I was really surprised by the transfers on these discs too. For made-for-tv films from the 70's they looked pretty damn amazing.

11. indiephantom

Big week for Moss with FIDO also out here in Canada. Can't recommend that one, though. I really want to see DISTURBIA. Love me those REAR WINDOW updates.:banana:

12. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Anyone ever seen this movie called Hostile Takeover (1988)? I just finished watching it, I have it on VHS, and I gotta say it is gooooooooood. It's about Eugene (David Warner) who takes his co-workers hostage and does not demand anything in return. Very interesting movie. I don't know if it's on DVD, but I doubt it. Anyway, just seeing if anyone else has seen this.

13. indiephantom

Sounds good. I remember seeing the VHS hanging around a local store, but I've never seen it.

14. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

bigdaddy ... any thoughts or opinions on Venom and The Wicker Man? :)

15. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Venom started out so good. Great apmostphere and creepy sets. I was really liking it but then it just lost it's way when everyone was in the voodoo house. Then when the remaining characters left the house I was wishing they had stayed. The last part made no sense and was filled with retarted and predictable cliches. Not a complete waste of time, but not all that good either.

Wicker Man was a let down for me. I think there was too much hype on the boards about how it's the next House Of The Dead or Shark Attack 3.
    There were quit a few laughs in the final act thanks to Cage overplaying the fuck out of it, but not as many as I had expected from reading about it. A lot of it just bored me really. I'll give it another try sometime down the road, but am kinda wishing I hadn't stepped into that Blockbuster as I didn't love any of the movies I picked up.

The other 2 I grabbed were:

Evil Breed. This had more laughs than Wicker Man. In fact, I'm gonna keep and watch it again (although I really think I'll just skip the first boring 45 minutes or so). The final act in that had me in tears I was laughing so hard.:)

Desperation was one I was looking forward to. Again it started good and creepy, but soon became a boring mess. Why did this even carry an R rating? I swear it was made for TV and felt like it.

16. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

It was made for TV. That'd be why.

17. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I want to see Disturbia as well. I was very worried knowing it was PG-13, geared towards teens, corny title, etc. but David Morse looks fantastic. I'm a sucker for those kinds of previews I suppose.

18. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

Stay way the hell away from SCHOOL FOR SCOUNDRELS and the STRANGERS WITH CANDY movie. Two of the least funny comedies I've seen in a while.

SCHOOL FOR SCOUNDRELS seems like it would be funny---it's billed as BAD SANTA meets NAPOLEON DYNAMITE, but Billy Bob just phones it in and seems to barely be present in the movie.

I was a big fan of the STRANGERS WITH CANDY tv show, and was expecting something like an expanded version of Jerri Blank's backstory, but aside from some brief prison scenes, it's a really weak episode stretched out to 90 minutes. Both of these movies are that way....around the 60 minute point you start checking to see how much longer it has to go, because both movies have ran out of steam.

19. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

completely disagree on strangers with candy.

20. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

Same here.