Comment on the Track the Films You Watch Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by rhett, Jan 1, 2007.

1. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

I'm always up for a snow horror movie and I've been to the filming area before so I'll check out Ghostkeeper. Thanks.

Angelman likes this.
  2. ImmortalSlasher

Ouija Origin of Evil -

I recall thinking the original Ouija was ok. Kind of basic. It could have been better. But I didn't need to see a prequel or sequel. But here is a prequel movie. Technically this is a better movie than the original. There are a few good creepy scares and the acting is fine. Also like some movies that show a different time period in America, the production design is well done. Yet still at the end of the movie, I found myself thinking, did I really need to see the origin of the story in the original? And the answer is still no.

3. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Gave Kiss the Girls (1997) a re-watch since I last saw it when it originally released.

Morgan Freeman stars as Alex Cross, an even-tempered, well-known badass with the ability to solve even the craziest crimes, especially when it involves matching the exact same signatures on two pieces of paper. As he attempts to locate his kidnapped niece, he pairs up with Ashley Judd, who plays a nurse who is good at kick-boxing, surviving long falls into water, and giving massages. She's not so great at following basic instructions and keeping her door locked. Together, they are an unbeatable, crime-solving team! Also, they are joined by Cary Elwes. He is a cop with a Southern accent. That's all we know for 90 minutes.
    Until it's revealed that he is the killer! Holy shit, what a setup with a big payoff! Masterful, even. It turns out Cary Elwes is Casanova, a man who can speak with TWO accents and who lives in a fucking cave that is invisible to all police detection and maps, except for the map that Red's niece's boyfriend has somehow? Still not sure on that but whatever, because Cary Elwes is the killer, and I bet you didn't know that, aside from the fact that he is third-billed and serves absolutely no other plot point in this movie. Like, at all. They didn't even try to incorporate him beyond, "Here's Cary Elwes. He's a cop. He speaks in a Southern accent. Remember Cary Elwes' character? Here he is again. Same Southern accent, yep. Hey, ah, remember Cary Elwes' character? Yep here he is agai--he's the fucking KILLER! HA HA! You are surprised now." Also, is no one on the police force friends with his character? No one asks about his personal life or ever does a background check?

There is one great moment, though, and that's when Red is standing by the side of the road, using his powers of breathing and paying attention to cars driving by to detect where the killer may be in the woods on the other side of the road. He almost gets shot while meditating. Check your yoga, bro.

Good question: when Red is able to prevent himself from blowing up by using carton of milk, why the hell is there a carton of milk just left out to spoil? Ashley Judd, pull your kitchen together, maybe right after you lock the goddamn door.

4. ImmortalSlasher

I can't even remember that movie but I think I saw it and some of a sequel. But I know I read the book. Actually a few of the books with the lead detective. The Kiss the Girls book is far better and darker. I think I was disappointed with the casting as well since I believe in the book Alex Cross describes himself to look more like Denzel Washington.

5. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

The Beast Within

I'm a little bit of a bad reviewer here because I read the book and if you've read the book you know what a disjointed, incomplete story made it to the screen. The film itself has a few moments: the attack on the woman to start the film, a few bits of gore... but the rest of the film is an underexplained mess. It was tough to sit through it this latest go-round.