Comment on the Track the Films You Watch Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by rhett, Jan 1, 2007.

1. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

I'm always up for a snow horror movie and I've been to the filming area before so I'll check out Ghostkeeper. Thanks.

Angelman likes this.
  2. ImmortalSlasher

Ouija Origin of Evil -

I recall thinking the original Ouija was ok. Kind of basic. It could have been better. But I didn't need to see a prequel or sequel. But here is a prequel movie. Technically this is a better movie than the original. There are a few good creepy scares and the acting is fine. Also like some movies that show a different time period in America, the production design is well done. Yet still at the end of the movie, I found myself thinking, did I really need to see the origin of the story in the original? And the answer is still no.

3. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Gave Kiss the Girls (1997) a re-watch since I last saw it when it originally released.

Morgan Freeman stars as Alex Cross, an even-tempered, well-known badass with the ability to solve even the craziest crimes, especially when it involves matching the exact same signatures on two pieces of paper. As he attempts to locate his kidnapped niece, he pairs up with Ashley Judd, who plays a nurse who is good at kick-boxing, surviving long falls into water, and giving massages. She's not so great at following basic instructions and keeping her door locked. Together, they are an unbeatable, crime-solving team! Also, they are joined by Cary Elwes. He is a cop with a Southern accent. That's all we know for 90 minutes.
    Until it's revealed that he is the killer! Holy shit, what a setup with a big payoff! Masterful, even. It turns out Cary Elwes is Casanova, a man who can speak with TWO accents and who lives in a fucking cave that is invisible to all police detection and maps, except for the map that Red's niece's boyfriend has somehow? Still not sure on that but whatever, because Cary Elwes is the killer, and I bet you didn't know that, aside from the fact that he is third-billed and serves absolutely no other plot point in this movie. Like, at all. They didn't even try to incorporate him beyond, "Here's Cary Elwes. He's a cop. He speaks in a Southern accent. Remember Cary Elwes' character? Here he is again. Same Southern accent, yep. Hey, ah, remember Cary Elwes' character? Yep here he is agai--he's the fucking KILLER! HA HA! You are surprised now." Also, is no one on the police force friends with his character? No one asks about his personal life or ever does a background check?

There is one great moment, though, and that's when Red is standing by the side of the road, using his powers of breathing and paying attention to cars driving by to detect where the killer may be in the woods on the other side of the road. He almost gets shot while meditating. Check your yoga, bro.

Good question: when Red is able to prevent himself from blowing up by using carton of milk, why the hell is there a carton of milk just left out to spoil? Ashley Judd, pull your kitchen together, maybe right after you lock the goddamn door.

4. ImmortalSlasher

I can't even remember that movie but I think I saw it and some of a sequel. But I know I read the book. Actually a few of the books with the lead detective. The Kiss the Girls book is far better and darker. I think I was disappointed with the casting as well since I believe in the book Alex Cross describes himself to look more like Denzel Washington.

Workshed likes this.
  5. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

The Beast Within

I'm a little bit of a bad reviewer here because I read the book and if you've read the book you know what a disjointed, incomplete story made it to the screen. The film itself has a few moments: the attack on the woman to start the film, a few bits of gore... but the rest of the film is an underexplained mess. It was tough to sit through it this latest go-round.

6. ImmortalSlasher

The Pact -

I thought this was supposed to be a horror movie. It was profitable going by the wiki. The short film is supposed to be good too. I'm not going to try and find that though. And I remember the poster and some comments that the movie was ok. The cast had some names I've seen in movies and TV shows. But this is one of those broken or lost family type horror movies with a supernatural twist. It reminded me of another horror movie I watched fairly recently about a girl with a mystery in her house. The Pact's lead actress is talented and you want her to solve the mystery but it becomes almost unbelievable when, and I'll spoil tag just in case,

she goes to a psychic and not just any psychic but one from her childhood. It's like can it be anymore convenient? But it's crazy. Right down to the psychic recommending using a Ouija board.

I guess since it was profitable they thought why not make a sequel. Which this movie really doesn't warrant from the story. I read the wiki on the sequel and I won't be watching that. I guess if you want to see Caity Lotz on a motorcycle you can check this out. But she's on a motorcycle a bunch of times in those superhero TV shows too.

Eden Lake -

I didn't like this one at all. I thought it was a terrible movie and on the same level as The Walking Dead in that it will make you believe if you leave the city you need to be armed. And since this takes place in the UK, weapons are out of the question.

This felt like someone saw The Descent and basically made a more realistic version of that movie. Eden Lake sounds like The Descent. And when I checked the wiki, I found out that the same guy did the music. The lead actress even kind of resembles from Shauna MacDonald in The Descent. And becomes just as dirty and grimy during the movie. But that is where the similarities end.

Spoilers.

At one point, I thought maybe they are going to keep up The Descent plotline and have the main character turn into this bad ass when you see her look into a mirror which says something like a human is the most dangerous animal in the forest. But then they keep referencing stuff from the beginning of the movie. You know when she runs into the truck that it will be a relative of the killers. And the party will be the low class people they met earlier.

And the people who made this movie, just like that movie with the Australian guy in the Outback, think the bad guy is the hero and we end the movie with a shot of the killer.

People like that shouldn't be shown in that way. It's bad enough for some societies to have a criminal class. But the villains in this movie all deserve a quick route to the death penalty.

Overall, I just don't like movies like this because I feel they do damage to society. And eventually might lead to the Predator 2 train situation where everyone feels the need to be armed.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  7. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

Tusk

Watched this on blu ray after seeing once streaming a year or two ago. I really enjoy this movie. I find it very amusing and entertaining. The only complaint would be the first scene with Deep. Man that scene drags. Brings everything to a screeching halt........but at the end of the day I really enjoy this one. Justin Long can do no wrong in my opinion.....love him.

8. ImmortalSlasher

Autopsy of Jane Doe -

Posted a small review in the topic:

http://horrordvds.com/community/threads/the-autopsy-of-jane-doe-2016.47932/page-2#post-845560

It's really good and surprised me.

Don't Knock Twice -

I thought this was going to be good. I think I saw a trailer or just a poster some time ago. Perhaps I thought since Katee Sackhoff is in it, it would be good. But she's 0 for 2 for me with horror movies now. Maybe 0 for 3 with that Halloween movie but I haven't seen that yet. Don't Knock Twice starts off ok too. But then goes to some crazy places. And without spoiling it, the movie is a tease. It is like it knows it's a bad movie so it plays with obvious misdirection in the hopes that you will forget. A better movie wouldn't do something like that. It wouldn't continually show something to try to make you forget something else so that when the reveal happens at the end it's a surprise and shock. In Don't Knock Twice, I didn't care that much because of that poor attempt at misdirection and the stupid ending. It's a shame too because the setup and a few of the locations are good horror settings. And about 1/4 to close to halfway in, I was thinking this is going to be a movie I'll own. But nope.

Get Out -

Posted a long review with thoughts in the topic.

http://horrordvds.com/community/thr...le-discussion-thread.47987/page-3#post-845563

It's ok. Not as good as I thought it was going to be going from the hype.

Suspiria -

The first Dario Argento movie I've seen and man it's wild. I didn't expect this. I just kept hearing that Suspiria was good. And I saw the image of the main character in a taxi and thought that's a beautiful image. I guess I assumed because it's old it wouldn't be like this. And after that first death, you know everything else will be shocking. I didn't expect that from this movie. That first scene was completely surprising and it set the stage and mood for everything else keeping me wondering what other horrors were in store. The music is really unnerving. You know evil is coming and with it blaring it puts you on edge. What the witches do is always extreme and mean spirited in its evil and was beyond my expectations. What I assume a real witch would do. At the end I was saying get her! I think how normal everything seems makes it worse when the attacks finally happen. Afterwards I watched the trailer and that gave me chills.

I liked the movie so much that I have a poster on the way which I started a topic about.

http://horrordvds.com/community/threads/suspiria-limited-poster-by-dan-mumford.48418/

I can't wait to see more Dario Argento movies and the rest of the Three Mothers trilogy.

dave13, Workshed and Angelman like this.
  9. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Weird coincidence:

After Thanksgiving, we gave Crocodile Dundee (1986) a viewing, since we were all brain-dead and my gf had never seen it. It was not good, and so we decided to up the class a bit and watch the recent Criterion Collection blu-ray of The Fisher King (1991), which none of us had seen. Partway through the film, Jeff Bridges' character flips through a newspaper and stops at the cinema listings. The camera holds for a long beat and there, smack in the middle of the shot on the right of the newspaper listings, is a big ad for Crocodile Dundee! We had a good laugh and then went back to trying to convince ourselves to finish The Fisher King, which tried very hard to be a Very Important Movie.

Natas likes this.
  10. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

I love when shit like that happens.

Workshed likes this.
  11. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

A month or so ago I had had Wilson Pickett's Midnight Hour stuck in my head all day. That night I read something about B.B. King and was inspired to check out a Youtube video of him and U2 performing When Love Comes to Town, a song I probably hadn't heard in 15 years. It was pretty surreal when, during the middle of the performance, they threw in the chorus of Midnight Hour.

Natas likes this.
  12. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

Watched Better Watch Out (2017) last night. I'd heard some good buzz and I enjoyed it, really a nice surprise. It's currently on Shudder, not sure where else. Definitely recommended.

Do yourself a favor, though, and don't watch the trailer beforehand, it gives too much away. I waited till after I watched the movie before checking out the trailer, glad I did.