Comment on the Track the Films You Watch Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by rhett, Jan 1, 2007.

1. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I thought Strangers With Candy: The Movie was hilarious from start to finish, but I do think that the writers re-used way too many of the jokes from the TV show rather than write completely original material. I agree, though, that it would have been nice to see a movie that shed some more light on Jerri Blank's past.

I watched The Heroin Busters the other night and I must say that it was pretty lousy compared to The Big Racket and Street Law, both of which were excellent. You'd think that putting Testi and Hemmings together with a Goblin score would be an irresistable package, and it is--until you actually sit down to watch it and find out what a mediocre movie The Heroin Busters really is. Oh, there were quite a few effective shots near the end, but the non-existant plot and slow buildup did nothing to endear the film or its characters to me the way the previously mentioned films had. See it if you must, but don't get your hopes up.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2007
  2. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Joy Ride managed to squeeze any joy out of itself in the first 20 minutes. Paul Walker's slack-jawed mouth-breathing made me wish he'd had the hook stuck into his leg in the end. No wonder he couldn't explain to the cops what was going on, he was too busy breathing.

And speaking of endings, what a waste. Look, these revenge films need to
    wrap up and actually have the main characters confront the baddie. If the filmmakers wanted a sequel, just create another horny truck-driver (maybe his brother, or--in a real twist--his sister!) to terrorize some pretty teens. But no, we get a body and a menacing voice on the radio! Oh my God, he's still alive! And driving! Roll credits.

That said, Steve Zahn was pretty funny. And it was fun to watch Walker attempt to. Turn. Around. While. Flexing. As. Hard. As. He. Can. Every time. The guy's like a walking ironing board.

edit: Oh yeah, fitting I should watch this on April Fool's Day. Sure fooled me.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  3. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I've always thought Joy Ride was one of the best, most underrated thrillers in several years. I saw it theatrically to begin with, loved it there, and have seen it several time since, each time astonished at just how good it is. It's also a film I love showing people who have no idea what to expect because it just fucks with their nerves!

Just wanted to post a different opinion so people don't completely rule it out! :cool:

4. rhett

rhett Administrator

I actually liked Joy Ride quite a bit too, but not as much as Workshed's review.

5. Workshed

I did like it (and was surprised) until they picked up Leeleeleelee. Maybe that was longer than 20 minutes. 40 minutes? Not that she was a downer, but I don't think the film held up after that. Also, her range of expression and emotion distracted me from the homunculus in the car with her.

And Charlotte? Who cares! Drive to safety, ya dumb kids. Buy a gun. Or a knife. Or a cell phone. Or gas. No, let's keep a-talking on the CB and driving in a straight line.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  6. Workshed

Children of Men

Heavy.

And chilling. I did not expect it to be that good. It was beautiful to watch, very easy to get immersed into the story, the characters, the questions (Questus, "the pest," the bits and pieces on the news). I jumped once or twice too. I did turn on the subtitles about a quarter of the way through and was able to catch lots of cool background dialogue, especially at the safehouse, that I think I would have missed. There are lots of little things I am sure I missed throughout. The only trouble I had was with what I thought to be Julianne Moore's poorly dubbed lines. There is a part where she and Clive Owen are cursing at each other on the bus when it was very apparent to me. Most of her lines sounded almost underwater, I dunno. But Clive Owen knocked it dead. I would gladly watch this again.

7. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

Thanks for the tip, Workshed! Now, my turn:

Princess (2006)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV_1nYpNL2A

Dude! This is great! It's like Studio Ghibli pulling Taxi Driver. It's definitely much more understated than the trailer makes it look, but it's worth it. Pretty clever, too! Not the best movie ever made, but definitely worth a heads up!

8. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

I watched Get Rich or Die Tryin' the other night and that shit changed my life.

9. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Two quotes of the year. Boo, you're my man. :p

10. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I thought it was a great movie.

11. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Pit Fighter (2005) - Has "cult" written all over it so it's the type of movie you either hate or like. I don't think there's much middle ground. I was a bit torn first but when the red stuff started to flow and got all good and gory it won me over.

Crank (2006) - Visual stunning, lots of action and even more visual gimmicks that almost got to the point of silliness. Still, a fun timewaster.

The Protector: Theatrical Version (2005) - This film was great! I'm still trying to catch my breath as I type :D Looking forward watching the Unrated International Version.

12. Workshed

With my sister in town, she and I spent the night at my parents' place this weekend. My mom rented Pride & Prejudice (2005). What can I say? Easter movie, I guess. I read the book in high school, saw the BBC adaptation sometime or other, and now this. You know, it wasn't too bad. It looked great, Jena Malone is in it, Keira Knightley's there too, and so is Donald Sutherland, who is really good in this and gets great lines. Caroline Bingley is played by Kelly Reilly (not familiar with her), and she plays a perfect vamp. Of course, it gets a little mushy near the end, where some total asshole scores Keira. Ah, the power of English brooding, I guess. Darcy did have a pretty sweet house/mansion/museum/castle, I'll give him that.

It was difficult for P&P to compete with Evil Bong, which I watched the night before. When your movie title has "Evil" and "Bong" as the only two words in the title, the titular bong, once revealed, had better look pretty sweet and--just a suggestion--evil. The bong started out as a funny Gollum parody, but then it turned into a sassy sistah. Not sure why that happened, but it didn't seem evil or funny, just...sassy. And then Chong shows up to prove he'll do any movie that rhymes with his name, and I stopped paying attention.

And then there's Road House 2: Absolute Ass.

13. BroodingHope

BroodingHope New Member

I wonder if Pit Fighter is based on the old Sega Genesis game, if so, that would be the shit.

14. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I'm watching Ruggero Deodato's Cut & Run right now. Very fun flick! Willie Aames is da man!

15. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

The Prophecy: Uprising & The Prophecy: Forsaken

These DTV sequels reminded me how great and original the first The Prophecy was. These didn't totally blow but they seemed kinda pointless. Nice cameos by a few genre faves though.

16. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

My April top 5 (first-time viewings):

1. The Protector (2005) - Amazing, loved every minute.
    2. Mosquito (1995) - The ultimate in cheesy insect movies.
    3. Stir Crazy (1980) - This one slipped under my radar for years. Glad I finally got to see it.
    4. Strange Brew (1983) - *see comment above*
    5. Black Christmas (2006) - Lots of fun. I had a blast watching.

17. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I just finished watching Magnificent Butcher. This has to be one of the best kung-fu moviers ever. Amazing fight scenes and it's funny.

18. Workshed

I watched Volver last night, and it was gorgeous. Penelope Cruz should just go ahead and do all her films in Spanish. I usually strain when trying to understand her English-speaking roles, but here her performance was great. Very early in the film, when Cruz's character is saying goodbye to her aunt after stopping by briefly to check in on her, Cruz exits the home and just as the door closes, the audience gets a very quick glimpse of her choking up. Then, in the next shot, Cruz quickly pulls out a handkerchief and dabs under her nose. Pretty subtle stuff. Great use of colors in this film--almost an Argento-esque use of reds in three sequential shots used early on.

I'm not a big fan of magic realism, but this film has a fun twist that will surprise some viewers--I know I was surprised--and it made me appreciate the film much more. The one downfall to the film was its poor use of male characters. They're all lecherous, basically. I'm not that familiar with Spanish culture, but it seemed a bit unfair. Nevertheless, the film is full of strong female leads and secondary characters.

Now, Ghoulies II? That was a total blast. How can a sequel be so much better than the original? I know I've seen Ghoulies before, but I couldn't recall any of it when it started. In fact, I stopped watching it and begrudgingly threw in the sequel--glad I did. Really fun film and it was cool to see Sascha Jenson. The tone and setting reminded me of Waxwork.

19. rhett

rhett Administrator

Ghoulies II is the shit, which I think would be a pun considering their place of birth. It's been such a long time since I've seen it. I need to get that double feature to sit alongside my Troll/Troll 2 double feature, which shares the distinction of having a sequel much better than the original. Seriously, Ghoulies sucks more ass than Richard Gere. It is like some terrible Exorcist rip-off with a couple scenes of a green goblin with suspenders popping out of a toilet for good measure. Like they needed something cool for the box art, and knew that the sacrificial satanist circle totally went "out" with Witchcraft IV: The Virgin Heart.

You should check out Ghoulies Goes to College though, Workshed. Aside from having the best title ever, it is one of those surreal movies where the horror genre was so dead and mangled from the home video boom that you can't even distinguish between horror and humor any longer. That and it features a death by plunger. Hellbilly ranks it as one of his top eight movies of all time.

20. Workshed

Ghoulies Goes to College--will do, thanks. With a title like that....

:lol: Gold.

What killed me while watching Ghoulies is that it's the same scene repeated about five times. It opens with some weirdo doing a ritual and commanding Ghoulies obey him, cut to years later when some weirdo invites friends over and he does a ritual, then he gets way into it and does another ritual and commands Ghoulies obey him, then he invites his friends over again, does a ritual and commands Ghoulies obey him, then he does another ritual while wearing the original weirdo's clothes and command the Ghoulies obey him...and so on. Eventually, the Ghoulies just stop obeying him. I imagine they grew desensitized.

But I did love it in the sequel when The Great Fucking Fausto gets all drunk, finds the Ghoulies spell book and commands the Ghoulies obey him. Nice recall of the not-so-nice original.