Complete '31 Dracula Print Located

Discussion in 'Classic' started by X-human, Jan 19, 2008.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Happy Happy Joy Joy!
    http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum.yuku.com/topic/14445/t/Complete-31-DRACULA-Located.html

This would be a direct copy of the negative, created for quality and not quantity. So there should be significant increase in detail. Unfortunately there probably still is cropping of the original image for the soundtrack. Even still this should be amazing to see.

It's been confirmed in the thread that the source of the print came from Germany: http://www.reuters.com/article/filmNews/idUSN1657482820080116

2. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

That's amazing,I love to hear about stuff like this.

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Alright, let me be the one to voice one serious doubt about this claim. The Reuters link doesn't say it's a complete print of Dracula, infact, that Universal horror print news is simply a footnote to a story about a Chaplin movie. And wouldn't news like this have been reported widely?

I'd love to be wrong, but I call :bs:

Say it ain't so.

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Which has more cache for a news piece, "Hitler's copy of The Great Dictator" or that "a slightly better print of Dracula" was discovered?

Anyways here's some more information which addresses reports that it is in reality a copy of the '38 re-release:
    http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum...Complete-31-DRACULA-Located.html#reply-242550

There was vocal criticism of the last SE's quality, so hopefully Universal's interested in having another go at it. If people had generally been happy with the release Universal might have figured it wasn't worth the trouble.

5. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I'd upgrade with NO PROBLEM if this were true!

6. dwatts

dwatts New Member

As reported on monster kid classic horror forum? Neither have cache at all. :lol:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  7. broadwayrock

broadwayrock Guest

I'm sure there'll be at least another two re-releases of Dracula before this new print makes its way onto DVD.

8. Yowie

Yowie Hologram

And a new remake as well, no doubt.

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

It has been confirmed by Robert Harris:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf...overy-dracula-film-element-2.html#post3312274

Although Harris says it contains no new footage, he confirms that it's from 1930. It should almost certainly contain the epilogue. This was on all the theatrical prints from the original run, the reason why we don't have it today is because we only have prints from the 1938 theatrical re-release which cut it out.

I think this is simply a case of people being unaware of the differences. Since we have visual confirmation from an expert of whom the first news originated, it's almost certainly in there.

This also confirms though that it has the audio track, therefore will not contain the full frame as captured in the orignal negative. Only the silent prints or I believe the Vitaphone prints would have the entire frame. Although not the best possible case, it's just a grand one.

10. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Yeah, if it's a positive with an audio track, than it's a release print.

I've never heard of a lavender positive though. Is that just an idiom for a certain process or did they actually use lavender in some way? I must investigate.

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

My best guess is that it is still a fine grain print but is cheaper than the silver nitrate stock generally used for theatrical distribution. This is probably why it was sent to the LoC, it was intended to fulfill copyright requirements and not for general display.

Since the benefits of silver nitrate are only readily apparently when projected on screen, it will be very suitable for video needs.

12. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Lavender Tint (variations: Purple Haze, Fleur de Lis) - Used in romantic, dusk or dawn, or oriental scenes primarily. Lavender tint was also used as a processing technique to cut down on contrast with duplicate negatives before fine grain positives were popular.

Wow! Thanks, Wikipedia!