Contamination

Discussion in 'General' started by arcaneimagery, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

That guy was cool. He'd be a kick ass avatar.

2. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

I rewatched this one tonight. It's the same old silly film, and overall I probably enjoyed it a little less than other viewings. Next time I might like it more, so what the hell :)

Anyway, the reason for posting is that I decided to check out the extras on my computer rather than on the DVD player. For the first time I was able to access the comic book. What do you guys think of that? I think it's a neat extra, the entire film done as a 54 page comic book :) I'm not usually into comics, but as I say, as an extra it's quite good. What do you all think?

3. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I need this DVD.

That is all.

EDIT: Never seen the film either, but I love cheese.

4. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

I actually just watched this today for the first time and it was enjoyable enough. The gore was good and the soundtrack was killer but the movie did have some slow parts. Overall though i had a good time with it.

5. Morg

Morg Guest

This movie is a rip off of Alien, even Director Luigi Cozzi admits that on on one of the movies documentaries. And to that I say, "so what?" Is the movie any good, that is thy question. Personally, I like this film quite a bit. The gore, the cheeze, the "hyper-gory fun!" Listen closely to goblin's musical score. what does it remind you of? This is one of those italian movies that sucks you in and holds you there until the end. Ofcourse that's only my humble opinion.

6. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Erm, ripping off successful US movies was the backbone of italian cinema at this time. Actually, as a plot, I kind of like this as one of the Alien sequels. I do think it's one of Goblin's lesser soundtracks though.

7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

CONTAMINATION was definitely inspired by ALIEN, no question about that, but I draw the line at calling it a "rip-off". Plotwise, ALIEN was much more of a "rip-off" in comparison with IT! THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE than CONTAMINATION is to ALIEN. ALIEN also contained scenes that directly paralleled ones from PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES and, I believe, even QUEEN OF BLOOD. Minus the use of eggs (which exploded rather than hatched), I fail to see any similarities between the two. But I've only watched it once, so I may be forgetting a few things.
    As for the movie itself, it was too slow for the middle 45 minutes. Other than that, it was pretty good.

8. legnadibrom

legnadibrom Guest

engorged do an awesome tribute to this movie called "alien contamination" on their split with fuck...i'm dead

9. shift

shift Hot as shit!

I saw it. It was ok. The best scene was in the warehouse. Basically after that the movie seems to fall

10. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

"Help! There's an Egg!"

Dunno, that scene with the woman in the bathroom always cracks me up.
    Great cheezy flick though. Glad I got the DVD.

11. Roo

Roo Member

I have the DVD and it's great, I love watching it anytime I get a chance. Though I do recall watching a VHS version with Elvira, as host, that was pretty funny.

12. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I didn't know that. But then again I only have their selftitled album.

13. Morg

Morg Guest

I can live with that. The way the director actually put it was "the illegitamate son of Alien". I wouldn't want to mislead anyone who hasn't seen it into thinking it's an italian mimic of Alien, it's not. It's certainly its own entity, but the inspiration is obvious imo. Merely an off-the-cuff remark. :D

14. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Watched this for the first time on the El Rey network, which I didn't even realize I had. It's buried in the middle of all the Spanish language channels (even though it's in English). They've got some really great stuff in their line-up, I wish I knew I had this channel sooner.

Anyway, I enjoyed the movie for the most part, but I'm glad I didn't spend $25 on the Arrow blu-ray. Probably not something I'd watch again, at least not anytime soon. I started to lose interest when they left New York. I know it's supposedly an Earth-based rip-off of Alien, but it reminded me a lot of Del Toro's The Strain. I wonder if Del Toro is a fan?

El Rey must have used a much older transfer because it looked a bit fuzzy. Supposedly Arrow's disc looks fantastic (no surprise).

15. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I've been getting into late 70's early 80's Italian zombie flicks over the past year and CONTAMINATION is easily the dullest of the bunch. The exploding bellies are funny and some the miniature work is cool but it there isn't enough camp and I’ve seen similar stories done much better. I hate to say it but this film needed some eye candy and Louise Marleau isn’t much to look at it. I’m glad I rented this from Netflix before Arrow released it on BD.

16. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Yup, I re-watched my BU DVD to see if I'd consider upgrading to the Arrow Blu since I hadn't seen it in years and couldn't remember much about it other than the aforementioned exploding guts, but then remembered how boring the movie is, passed on the upgrade, and also sold off my DVD...

17. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I'm a huge fan. I saw it when I was a kid - it's not a *good* film by any stretch but I do have a fondness for it that stems from seeing it fairly young.

18. Novosibirsk

Novosibirsk Member

Absolutely love the soundtrack. But like everyone has said, it is such a bore!

19. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

Yeah, I blind bought the Blue Underground dvd release years back and got rid of it after watching it once...so no reason for me to get it in HD.

20. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Frankly I'm amazed my post in this thread is from almost exactly 11 years ago to the day. I wouldn't have guessed it's been that long since I saw it for the first time (only seen it once since, last year).