CONTEST #1: Animals from HELL

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Oct 7, 2014.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

Most attribute the "Animal Attack" genre to JAWS, but even in the 70's alone there were many animal attack movies like WILLARD, hell, and even killer rabbits in NIGHT OF THE LEPUS that came before. Win Blue Underground's HELL OF THE LIVING DEAD/RATS:NIGHT OF TERROR Blu-ray by telling us your favorite nature run amok movie![/b]
    [​IMG]

Most attribute the "Animal Attack" genre to JAWS, but even in the 70's alone there were many animal attack movies like WILLARD, hell, and even killer rabbits in NIGHT OF THE LEPUS that came before. Look back further and you get KING KONG, THE DEVIL BAT and THE BIRDS. Go further and you get that pesky cat from Edgar Allen Poe. It's a sub-genre older than movies themselves, and one that continues to endure. Fitting, then, that our first October Madness contest is a giveaway for the post-apocalyptic RATS: NIGHT OF TERROR on Blu-ray.

[​IMG]

Tell us your favorite Animal Attack movie and why and you could win Blue Underground's new HELL OF THE LIVING DEAD/RATS:NIGHT OF TERROR double feature Blu-ray. Second place will get the two films in standard definition on their old DVDs that Blue Underground did for Anchor Bay way back when.

A winner will be randomly selected a week from today on Monday, October 13th.

Make a single post in this thread telling us your favorite nature run amok movie to be entered to win.

Good luck...if you win, congRATulations will be in order!

2. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Jaws. Because of Quint's speech.

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Nightwing (1979) is probably my all-time personal favorite.

Why? I love the southwest setting of the film, and the bat attacks really used to freak me out seeing it as a kid. I still think it's a very underrated film, and if nothing else is still the definitive bat attack movie!

4. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

5. m@ggot

m@ggot Active Member

Hitchcock's "The Birds"...not only because of it's classic status, but mainly because the scene where the hero's mother discovers the body of her farmer friend in his bedroom with his eyes pecked out almost made me stain my tighty whities as a wee lad...

6. m@ggot

m@ggot Active Member

dammit! you beat me by 5 minutes...took too long to post my reply :-(

7. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Has to be Jaws. Great acting, exciting adventure and great suspense.

8. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Jaws and for the kid on the raft scene at the beach. Love that.

9. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

As much as I love Jaws, I love Joe Dante's Piranha so much more. I know it is considered a bit of a rip off of Jaws in some circles,but it really stands on it's own. Dante in my opinion made one of the great nature run amok movies of all time. The piranhas were cool( ugh, that nasty chewing sound), the characters are really over the top, lots of gore,lots of action, Barbara Steele, and a great musical score as well ! I still watch this movie at least twice a year, so yeah Piranha for me.

10. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Member

Jaws due to going to the ocean when I was little and being somewhat intimidated by how large and vast it was... and then also being stung by a stingray didn't increase my affinity for the ocean. Overall I love the beach and boating and I occasionally scuba dive but am not too fond of going swimming in the ocean.

A close second would be Grizzly because I love the nostalgia it brings up for me remembering seeing it when I was young and the overall feel of the film...but it can't quite edge out Jaws.

11. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

Jaws because it is the most watchable movie ever made. Find a person who has the will power to turn this movie off. It is on all of the time and yet we all watch it every time...

12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

While not the best made "animal attack" film (that would be Jaws), I have always considered Day of the Animals a personal favorite. Why? There are so many kinds of animals that run amok - which is hard to top. Leslie Nielsen comes into play & proves that a crazy as fuck human can be just as dangerous if not more so than all of the attacking animals.

13. rift

rift New Member

Slugs because it gave me an excuse as a kid to never eat lettuce

14. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I always enjoyed Rozorback. I thought it was a solid Aussie flick with some great visuals, cinematography and story.

15. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

JAWS. I was born in an East Coast summer resort town much like Amity in the film. I'm used to the population swelling every summer, with swarms of tourists filling the boardwalk and taking to the beach. It was easy to imagine an underwater menace swooping in and terrorizing the community, taking lives and killing the town's economy. Besides all that the film is just wonderfully well made and exceptionally well acted. John William's legendary score is the cherry on top. Classic.

16. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Squirm! Partly because of the nostalgia factor - I first saw it in my teens (and loved it). But most importantly, because it still creeps me out - that shot of Wormface in the rear view mirror, unnoticed. Oh, and the folksy pop ballad at the end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAnBpDx5eVo

17. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

The Spider Monkey from "Dead Alive". It's brief appearance set up one of the most memorable blood n guts parties in cinema.

18. Stige

Stige Active Member

Frogs

A scientist telling them are screwing up nature and the industrialist insisting it wasn't his problem . Nature strikes back at the people who are ignoring signs that things are going wrong, with a downbeat ending telling us things are just beginning.

There are better nature goes amuck films but this one always creeped me out..

19. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

Do spiders count? "Kingdom of the Spiders" horrified me as a little kid and still creeps me out today. The scene where the spiders are swarming the little girl on the bed is the stuff of nightmares. And when they're falling on people's heads from the ceiling - *shivers*!!

20. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

JAWS. It's a compelling film that is endlessly re-watchable due to the solid pacing and great cast.