CONTEST #1: Silent Phantoms

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Oct 3, 2011.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

Many of the great images of horror cinema were first forged in the experimental silent era, of which Criterion's THE PHANTOM CARRIAGE was a relic. We've got 3 copies of the DVD, and all you need to do to get your hands on this silent classic is tell us what your favorite silent film is and why?[/b]
    [​IMG]

Many of the great images of horror cinema were first forged in the experimental silent era, of which Criterion's THE PHANTOM CARRIAGE was an important relic. We've got 3 copies of the DVD, and all you need to do to get your hands on this silent classic is tell us what your favorite silent film is and why?

Make a single post in this tread telling us your favorite silent film is and why and you'll be entered in a draw to win 1 of 3 copies of THE PHANTOM CARRIAGE on DVD.

[​IMG]

The contest runs for one week, from today until Monday, October 10th, at which point a new contest will commence as part of our October Madness extravaganza.

Winners will be randomly selected based upon all the posts in this thread.

Let's do what we don't do nearly enough here...look into the distant past and talk about your favorite silent film and its impact on you. You could win!

Attached Files:

2. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen many silent films, but my favorite is the atmospheric Nosferatu.

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Nosferatu would easily be my choice. My best friend introduced me to the film many years ago, and the overall atmosphere would have to be my favorite aspect of the film. Sure it's silent, but the antique look of the film (to today's viewer) works so well.

4. Copyboy

Copyboy Member

Hitchcock's The Manxman. By today's standards it would probably be considered corny and predictable but it works. The first time I saw it I was completely enthralled.

5. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, as it currently stands. The sets and twist ending for 1920 made it and interesting capsule of the surreal. I love it! Can you believe it's 91 years old? :eek:

6. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

My favorite silent film is Begotten. I have seen several other silent films before but Begotten definitely left it's mark on me. The opening scene is one of the creepiest and most disturbing thing I've seen in a film. The whole film just fills you with a visceral sense of depression, dread, sorrow, depravity and filth. It makes me want to cleanse myself after viewing it. I have to admit that I think twice every time I plan on watching this film. For the past few years I try to fit this into my annual Halloween movie schedule but never seem to get to it ;). But this year I'm gonna man-up and watch it! With all the lights on :D.

7. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I have to go with Phantom Of The Opera, I have bought almost every version of this film & the reason Lon Chaney. The man was an artist not only with make-up but as an actor. His characterations make you feel his pain, joy his sorrow without every saying a word. Not many actors in this day & age can do that with words let alonr actions....

8. ZoSo

ZoSo The Fucking King

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

9. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Nosferatu.

For a film that's nearly 90 years old, it still manages to be genuinely creepy at times.

10. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Member

I'll go with The Hunchback of Notre Dame from '23. I've seen quite a few silent films, but this one is the most impressive. I figured it was about a freak with a lump on his back who gets revenge on his enemies, but that's not entirely the case. In fact, Quasimodo is hardly in it! The story focuses on religious corruption and the bane of mankind while never losing trace of the twisted love story between girl and beast. Plus, it looks like it was made for $100 mil.

11. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

My favorite would have to be Metropolis. The visual aspect of the movie just blows me away. It's quite amazing how it was pulled off. I still haven't seen the "restored" version, but will pick up that blu-ray soon. Nosferatu and Phantom of the Opera are two others that I enjoy quite a bit. Nosferatu is still the definitive vampire movie.

12. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari, it has great atmosphere and a look and story that was way ahead of it's time.

13. marcx

marcx New Member

It may be the most obvious--but it is my honest choice---Nosferatu

14. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

I also have to give a nod to Nosferatu. Although there are aspects today that seems hillariously dated, Max Schreck's Count Orloff oozes sinister in a way that neither Lugosi or Lee would ever achieve.

15. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari was the first silent I saw and still holds up today.

16. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Nosferatu easily. It was the first film we watched in my college class "History of the Horror Film". Believe it or not I got 4 upper level English credits for that sucker :D

We discussed the film at length amongst many other students which made it that much more interesting.

17. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Mel Brook's Silent Movie.

Kidding. (Although it is hilarious.)

Nosferatu. Atmospheric, beautifully shot, and an original vampire design we haven't seen replicated (unless you count the great Herzog remake).

18. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Nosferatu as I've only seen a handful of silents.

19. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Any Buster Keaton movie, but I'll go with Sherlock Jr. Why do I like it? It's simply a joy to watch Keaton perform.

20. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Active Member

i'll go for Vampyr, which has some haunting imagery!

to be honest, most of the silents i've seen have been a bit of a slog to get through