CONTEST #1: Silent Phantoms

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Oct 3, 2011.

1. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Nosferatu

An enjoyable classic

2. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - man, the set design in that film is insane. Very disorienting and perfect for the story.

3. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I wanted to go with Phantom of the Opera because of Lon Chaney, but my favorite is definitely Nosferatu. Max Schreck was the creepiest vampire ever.

4. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Phantom of the Opera, mainly for the nostalgia of talking to my grandmother about it.

5. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Stereotypically, Nosferatu. Faust is close, but vampires always seem to win out with me.

6. highclassrob

highclassrob Member

My favorite silent film is "Haxan:Witchcraft through the Ages" . I always loved how the devil in that movie looks like The Demon from DC comics. Also the way he hops around when the witches literally kiss his ass, so funny.

7. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I can't vote against Nosferatu. It was way too far ahead of it's time. It still stands as one of the best horror films ever and that's pretty tough to do, especially when they were one of the pioneers.

8. nosmoke

nosmoke New Member

I choose Metropolis.
    I know that almost everyone here will say that Nosferatu is their favorite silent film, and I can't say that it isn't a really great film. I have a lot of respect to Nosferatu and its inspiration to later work in the horror genre.
    But I have some warm feeling for Metropolis. I think that Metropolis was the first real silent film I saw in my life, and it is by far the one I saw the most times.
    Even though it is not horror, it has a few horrific moments in it (considering the time it was made in).

9. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I also have to go with Nosferatu. Murnau's use of shadows is really awe-inspiring. And the film contains some of the most indelible images in the history of the genre.

But most of all I admire Murnau's conviction. Nosferatu is by far the purest and leanest of all vampire films. The influence of Eastern European vampire legends is very apparent. Orlock is no continental charmer. And Murnau makes zero effort to humanize him or make him sympathetic. He's the foulest night crawler ever to grace the silver screen.

Pretty much every vampire film from Browning's Dracula forward presents the vampire as a charismatic anti-hero. But Orlock is the living embodiment of decay and all the archetypal things that go bump in the night. The subject of vampires didn't used to be another vehicle for disposable pop culture entertainment. As a kid reading old vampire legends I got an overwhelming sense of the dread and genuine fear that people used to feel. Nosferatu captures that beautifully.

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

The Cat and the Canary (1927)

It has all the classic trappings with a good balance of humor. I dare say it may still be effective today because its references so much of the genre it still works as a self conscious parody of silent horror.

11. Caspar2112

Caspar2112 New Member

I would have to say the Cabinet of Dr Caligari is a classic and Lon Chaney in the Phantom of the Opera is amazing but The Hands of Orlac is unforgettable.

12. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

For me it's a toss up between Vampyr and Nosferatu. Nosferatu is getting a lot of (well deserved) love here, so I'll settle on Vampyr.

13. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Member

The Phantom of the Opera. Lon Chaney is iconic and I still remeber as a kid seeing the picture of him from that movie and being creeped out. It wasn't until many many years later that I actully saw it for the first time in its entirety. Even though I thought a silent movie would bore me, I was really entertained by it and I still find it enjoyable to this day.

14. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari for me. I love German Expressionism and Caligari is loaded with it in every frame, it's beautiful really. Followed closely by Begotten, which is really quite frightening and disturbing. I think I've only actually seen those two, Nosferatu and Haxan. I don't have much Silent experience.

15. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

Nosferatu, for me. The look of the vampire is very creepy and instantly recognizable.

16. Undeadcow

Undeadcow New Member

Nosferatu is good but I think Vampyr has more striking imagery and depth. Looking forward to checking out Phantom Carriage if I have to purchase it myself.

17. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I'll offer up an obscure one,THE MAN FROM BEYOND.Most people may not know that the famed magician and escape artist Harry Houdini was also a pretty popular actor in the silent era.In the fantasical MAN he plays a 19th century man discovered frozen on a sailing ship trapped in arctic ice.He is revived in the early 20th century and faces both culture shock and the sense that a woman he meets may be the reincarnation of his old love.A mix of fantasy,romance and thrills (including some pretty nifty stunts by Mr. H.).Not a hardcore classic but I saw this as a kid and never forgot it.It was recently restored.Fun,offbeat picture.

18. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

Gotta give it up to Nosferatu, its just a CLASSIC!

19. anthony1138

anthony1138 New Member

Nosferatu, because it still holds up today as a genuinely scary film.

20. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Have to say Sherlock, Jr. Buster Keaton is just too brilliant.