Contest #1: THE GATE to the North

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Oct 1, 2009.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

Lionsgate is serving up a packed special edition of THE GATE due October 6th, and we're proud to offer up three copies as part of our first contest for OCTOBER MADNESS. All you have to do to win is tell us: What's your favorite Canadian horror film, and why?
    [​IMG]

Long after THE MASK (1961) and long before GINGER SNAPS, the Canadian horror film had a massive resurgence in the seventies and eighties thanks to the tax shelter. It gave birth to the films of David Cronenberg, many of the slashers we know and love, and some more off-beat creepers like THE PIT and 1987's surprise-hit, Tibor Takacs' THE GATE.

[​IMG]

Featuring some crazy stop-motion effects, a young Stephen Dorff and some satanic records played backwards THE GATE remains one of Canada's most enduring horror films. It had a sequel in 1991, but has largely been out of print and hard to find on DVD...until now.

Lionsgate is serving up a packed special edition of THE GATE due October 6th, and we're proud to offer up three copies as part of our first contest for OCTOBER MADNESS.

All you have to do to win is tell us: What's your favorite Canadian horror film, and why?

Post a single response in this thread only, and enter to win one of three copies of THE GATE on DVD. Winners will be randomly selected a week from today on Wednesday, October 7th.

Let's kick off October with a bang, tell us your favorite Canadian horror flick!

Attached Files:

2. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I have to say The Pit. It was part of my Halloween activities last year and it's a true crowd pleaser. To me it's even more fucked up than Troll 2, but it's also more inventive. \it's got everything I want in a horror film. Well, okay...it's not really scary. But fucking hell is that film a blast! I also give a nod out to Bob Clark's films Dead of Night and Black Christmas. :glasses:

3. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Black Christmas is probably in my top 5 favorite horror movies in general, and being that it's Canadian, I'll say that's my favorite Canadian horror film. It's frightening, has the most menacing phone calls I've ever heard, and it stars one John Saxon.

Although after a quick glance at the horror films listed at Canuxploitation, there have been several excellent horror films from Canada. The Brood, Deathdream, Scanners, My Bloody Valentine, Prom Night II, III and IV... lots of quality stuff coming from the Canadians.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  4. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

Fido.

Though Cube, the Fly, and Ginger Snaps 2 (and even Ginger Snaps) are close seconds.

5. Bluenoser

Bluenoser New Member

Easily Black Christmas. Even today, it's an extremely tense and well-executed film. It was definitely ahead of its time and a lot of slashers probably owe a great deal to this movie.

Second would be My Bloody Valentine. It's a quintessential 80s slasher, I can watch it over and over again... plus I have a soft spot for it because they filmed about 10 minutes from where I grew up. I may have been -2 years old when it was released, but there still aren't too many (any?) horror movies you can associate with Nova Scotia.

6. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Black Christmas.

Amazing atmosphere, creepiness, and John Saxon...that is all.

7. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

My Bloody Valentine was the first Canadian horror I can recall seeing, and defintly left the longest lasting impression on me.

8. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Black Christmas is pretty much the perfect.

9. 2D4EVER

2D4EVER Guest

I don't know if people categorize it as horror but Videodrome is my favorite: Fucked up awesome story, amazing imagery, James Woods as the quintessential sleazeball (only Anthony Wong can compete), Brian O'Blivion, and LONG LIVE THE NEW FLESH.

10. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

As much as I love The Gate
    (I even own a 35mm film print of it)
    , my favorite Canadian horror film is David Cronenberg's The Brood.

It's absolutely horrifying! Plus it has phenomenal performances from Art Hindle, Oliver Reed, Samantha Eggar, and Cindy Hinds, and Cronenberg's direction is outstanding and the fact that he draws from his own relationship with his ex-wife amplifies the terror this film delivers all the way to the top. Not only that, but I personally think it's Cronenberg's best film.

11. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

THE BROOD has always gotten under my skin.It is my favorite of Cronenberg's early films largely because it plumbs subject matter that is more often the realm of intense dramas and winds them into a horror scenario that is deep,dark,disturbing and fascinating.Cronenberg grafts his obsession with ''body horror" onto a tale that involves divorce,psychotherapy,child abuse and hidden rage.The acting is dead on with terrific turns by Art Hindle,Samantha Eggar and the great Oliver Reed.The moody,bleak score is the perfect companion to the stark,chilly photography.The story gives you plenty to think about but when it shocks it really SHOCKS ! An early gem from a great director.

12. lv426

lv426 New Member

I love The Gate, but never realized it was made in Canada. I watched part 2 not even a week ago. I grew up on movies like that, and it was the PG-13 ones that gave me my first taste of horror.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  13. deepred

deepred Member

So many to pick from but probably a toss up between The Brood and Black Christmas. I love the abrupt outbursts of violence in The Brood which creates tension even in the calm scenes. Also love the tense ending in Black Christmas and those creepy phone calls.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  14. KappaMoth

KappaMoth Guest

Man, I have to go with The Gate because it scared the bejesus out of me when I was a kid. I don't know how I watched a copy of it, but for countless summers I'd explore my backyard (which connected with the woods) for portals to Hell out of a morbid curiosity.

15. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Favorite "Canadian" horror film? Well... THE GATE!

And no, I'm not just saying that! I've loved this film ever since I originally caught it in the theater on its original release. I own three versions of the film right now, and soon a fourth. Hopefully Lionsgate will release a Blu-ray later on.

I love the overall atmosphere of the film, the characters, the music, stop-motion effects, etc.

In fact if you asked me about 20 years ago what my absolute favorite Horror movie was, I'd answer with The Gate. It's still in my top 5 and I try to watch it every few months still. I've seen it untold times over the years now.

16. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'd have to say My Bloody Valentine. It's atmosphere and claustrophobic feel really add a depth to it that not a lot of films can master.
    Not to mention the notorious kills that we were lucky to see in the recent edition of the film. Great film, great killer. That's my pick.

17. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

My bloody valentine.

I've always found it to be a fun slasher.

18. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

There are so many great Canadian horror films, most of which I didn't know was made there. Some great choices, but I will go with Happy Birthday To Me.

I first watched it on Starz Mystery channel about eight years ago. I thought it was a well-made slasher film with some nice murder sequences, a great twist near the end, and an awesome soundtrack (I prefer the original score, though the disco score at the beginning is good too).

I still have the Starz Mystery airing of the film on VHS, the laserdisc and the 2004 Columbia DVD, and will pick up Anchor Bay's new DVD.

Runners up include Ginger Snaps, Black Christmas, The Brood and Scanners.

19. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Black Christmas easily wins for me. The prototypical slasher not only did great things that others ripped off (POV shots), but some things that few others did (the lack of backstory for the killer, the killer talking and his horrifying babbling).

20. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

The Brood for me. Not only one of my favourite Canadian films, but one of my favourite horror films, period. Genuinely scary, and highly original (like most of Cronenberg's stuff).

Non-Cronenberg runners up for me would include The Pit, The Incubus and of course My Bloody Valentine.