Contest #1: THE GATE to the North

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

As much as I want to say My Bloody Valentine because I lived in Nova Scotia for six years and one of my favorite restaurants is in Sydney Mines, the town this was shot in, I have to go with Black Christmas.

Such a great atmosphere, great acting (particularly Margot Kidder, who I've had a crush on since I was little), great scares, everything about it is great. Definitely something I'll watch every year at Christmastime, probably until I'm too old to watch.

2. Conal Cochran

Conal Cochran New Member

My bloody valentine is for me the best cnanadian horror film. Can't go wrong with a mine, a hollyday and a crazy maniac and the fact that it is now in his uncut glory...wow

3. This is a hard choice. There are so many great Canadian horror films out there. I suppose I've gotta go with Black Christmas. In my opinion, it's one of the best slashers ever, and I constantly go back and forth between it and Halloween when choosing my favorite slasher of all time. It has great atmosphere, a very creepy killer, and John Saxon, what more could you ask for?

I'm also a huge Cronenberg fan, so The Fly, Videodrome, The Brood, Rabid, They Came From Within and Scanners are up there on my list of favorite Canadian horror as well.

4. mrcafejava

mrcafejava New Member

Videodrome
    It's original, has very odd characters that I really enjoyed following, the story is incredibly strange but well thought out, the direction the movie starts to point through towards the end is great, it's entertaining and rewatchable
    DEATH TO VIDEODROME, LONG LIVE THE NEW FLESH

5. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    Canadian shot I'd have to say Dawn of the Dead 2004. Canadian produced I'd have to say the original My Bloody Valentine.

6. warmapplecider

warmapplecider New Member

SCANNERS, THE BROOD, VIDEODROME...David Cronenberg can do no wrong!

7. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

BLACK CHRISTMAS, mainly because it is so damned creepy. It demonstrates that a slasher film can be made with style and can scare just as much through suspense and storytelling rather than just making people jump with "shock" moments.

I would have to say GINGER SNAPS is a close second (at least I *think* GINGER SNAPS is Canadian). As well as anything by David Crononberg.

8. skinnypuppy

skinnypuppy New Member

Favourite Canadian Horror Film: THE BROOD.
    It really captures the feeling of winter in Canada and is far more ahead of it's time than any other movie. Cronenberg is the beset.

9. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

Nothing can touch Black Christmas. I've seen it a dozen times and still get freaked out whenever I hear those phone calls. One of the few "truly scary" horror films out there!

10. marcx

marcx New Member

Gotta agree with a lot of others on...BLACK CHRISTMAS

11. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Choosing just one? But I love Humongous...and Ginger Snaps is superb...Curtains/Happy Birthday to Me are more slasher greats.

And god, Black Christmas is near perfection (certainly better than HalloweeN; bahaha, it's time to start a riot here in HorrorDVDs-town)

Uh, but my absolute favorite?...

My Bloody Valentine. I mean, how can I not love a flick that was filmed in the mine across the street from where the hospital "borned" me. :D I'll always be proud to be a Cape Bretoner as long as I have MBV to love for it. But once MBV wears this...there's not much else for Cape Breton. XD

12. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

im gonna agree with a lot of people here, and go with pretty much anything by Cronenberg. easily one of my top 5 directors. if i had to pick a particular film? id go with The Fly. its a fantastic movie, and i love recognizing Toronto landmarks in it. that's always been one of my favorite things about him: the fact that his early movies shot in Canada took place....in Canada! quite a rare thing.

13. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Put me down for The Gate as well. The stop motion animation is awesome and the story is nice and simple, but delivered very well. I love part when Stephen Dorff has the dream about his parents coming home and yelling "YOU'VE BEEN BAAAAAAD!!!" I still quote that to this day :p

14. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Easy answer: Black Christmas

15. zombiecraig

zombiecraig New Member

I love Cronenberg, but I have to go with Black Christmas.

It gets better each time I see it. I have a hell of a lot of respect for that film.

16. Caspar2112

Caspar2112 New Member

Wow, what a loaded question that one is ! I love a Canadian take on Horror, most of the time sparking change in the world of Horror ie Cronenberg and most recently John Fawcett. BLACK CHRISTMAS has to be the winner here for me because of the arduous journey it took Bob Clark on; and who can complain when it influenced John Carpenter in making a genre classic. There are many honorable mentions though including THE CHANGELING, GINGER SNAPS and that little creepy gem VISITING HOURS.

17. anthony1138

anthony1138 New Member

Videodrome

There are so many great Canadian horror films, but one director stands out above all Canadian horror directors... David Cronenberg. And his greatest achievement in horror is Videdrome. One of my all time favorite films.

18. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Fido is one of my favorite films--period--in this decade and one of the most refreshing Horror films I've seen.

That said, Ginger Snaps (only the first one) was a rental-on-a-lark for my sister and me, and it made me laugh and squirm so much, that I went out and purchased it the next day. Great performances and a fine installment in the werewolf genre--so it gets my pick.

"I can't have a hairy chest. That's fucked, B."

19. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Member

My Bloody Valentine.. Black christmas is close though

20. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

My Bloody Valentine is in my all time top 20. One of the better "who is the killer" slasher films out there.