Contest #2: BAD DAD Blowout

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Oct 7, 2009.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

Just in time for the remake, Shout! Factory is finally releasing the original THE STEPFATHER onto Region 1 DVD, and we've got five copies to give away as the second contest in our OCTOBER MADNESS. All you have to do is tell us what your favorite domestic horror film is, and why.
    [​IMG]

Just in time for the remake, Shout! Factory is finally releasing the original THE STEPFATHER onto Region 1 DVD, and we've got five copies to give away as the second contest in our OCTOBER MADNESS. All you have to do is tell us what is your favorite domestic horror film, and why.

What is domestic horror? It's that genre that thrived in the late eighties on the success of THE STEPFATHER, FATAL ATTRACTION, POISON IVY, BASIC INSTINCT, THE GOOD SON et al., and one that continues to thrive into the new decade with films like WHAT LIES BENEATH, CACHE, DOMESTIC DISTURBANCE and DISTURBIA. It's a genre where families or individuals are tormented behind the normalcy of white picket fences and good old fashioned American values.

[​IMG]

Tell us your favorite domestic horror film and win one of five DVDs of THE STEPFATHER. Contest ends on street date, Tuesday, October 13th. Winners will be randomly selected.

Please make a single post in this thread telling us what your favorite domestic horror film is and why. Good luck!

Attached Files:

2. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Microwave Massacre - just kidding.

Amityville Horror for me - old school classic domestic disturbance right there, no? One of the creepier flicks out there ever.

3. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Inside for me.

4. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

I'm going to go with Killing Spree. Yeah, it's cheesy and it's low budget but man is it fun. It takes place in the most stereotypical of suburbs and has all the characters a suburban home has: annoying neighbor, delivery man, electrician, TV repair guy, landscaper, and they all get killed. It's not a great movie but it is loads of fun.

5. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Active Member

i'm picking Cache

6. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

The original Stepfather for me

7. Very interesting questions.

Oddly enough, like the post right above me, I am choosing Michael Haneke's Cache (Hidden).

It's taunt, well made, and has one of the best endings of a genre film in the last ten years. It really is a shame Mr. Haneke has bored me ever since with the original Funny Games and it's pointless English language remake (from himself of all people).

And that final shot is AMAZING. Many don't realize, but you have to keep watching it, as it contains several clues as well as adding many answers, onto the final half of the film.

8. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I would say The Dentist counts here. Corbin Bernsen played a deeply troubled dude who snaps because of his wife's infidelity. It's Brian Yuzna's funniest and smartest film. I'll give runne-up props to The Stepfather and Pacific Heights which I watched again recently and it's held up quite nicely.

9. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

Has to be The Amityville Horror for me as well. Just a great classic ghost story where one of the family members is effected by the entity. I thought it was well done... I even enjoyed the remake! :p

10. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I am choosing The Entity today, because it is so creepy with its subtle (though at times agressive) poltergeist agenda. People looking in to the family think that it is just a regular family with a mother who is seeing/hearing things. All in her mind. But in actuality, something is there. Raping her. Hurting her family. :(

11. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

If Inside is counts as domestic then that's my pick. A visceral, relentless, gut wrenching film.

12. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

For this genre I am going to have to pick The Stepfather. It's just a great suspenseful thriller, with some nice scenes of the ultra violence thrown in. You never know when this guy is going to go off, and when he does it is shocking. I love part 2 as well, but this one is still tops !

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  13. Kodiac Jack

Kodiac Jack New Member

Definitely The Stepfather. Terry O'Quinn is a freakig god in this role. It also helps to include Jill Schoelen because I have a massive crush on her. I like 2 and 3(call me crazy) but you can't match up to this classic FINALLY hitting DVD.

14. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I will pick The Good Son.

I really enjoyed Macaulay Culkin's turn as a evil little kid from the lovable Home Alone series. Actually this was his last film worth watching. Meanwhile Elijah Wood career skyrocketed.

15. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Member

Blackout.

An 80's movie I saw on VHS and cable. He wore that black leather mask and when they found it in the closet was just creepy. It might not hold up as well today but I have very fond memories of that movie.

16. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Flowers in the Attic....

just kidding.

I'm leaning toward either Amityville or Disturbia (I know, save it, I liked it).

Amityville was among the first I saw and still a favorite, unless The Shining counts. I know it's not at home, but if that counts then The Shining would get my vote.

17. KappaMoth

KappaMoth Guest

Amity,

although I do have a soft spot for the scene in Poltergeist II where Craig Nelson goes all crazy after drinking the possessed tequila worm.

18. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

Does REC count? If not, then I'd choose Fatal Attraction.

19. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Favorite domestic film? Probably Stepfather II actually. I love the original a great deal, but there's also something about the sequel that I really love. The music score is superb, the characters are edgy, the atmosphere of the film has a modern feel, yet a melancholic loneliness to it.

20. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

this is tough, because i honestly don't think its a particularly great subgenre. or maybe its just too narrow. i wouldn't consider anything supernatural to be domestic horror, and stuff like basic instinct or fatal attraction are great movies, but not actually horror movies, IMO. I haven't actually seen The Stepfather yet (hey, maybe i'll win and then i can finally see it!), so I'll go with The Stepfather 2. It was fun, and Terry O'Quinn is always great.