CONTEST #2: The Spaghetti STAGE

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Oct 14, 2014.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

When people talk Italian horror, it's usually Fulci, Argento or (Mario) Bava. Look past the titans though, and there's still a stable of visionaries like Sergio Martino and Michele Soavi, and you can win Soavi's first film, STAGEFRIGHT, right here courtesy of Blue Underground![/b]
    [​IMG]

When people talk Italian horror, it's usually Fulci, Argento or (Mario) Bava. Look past the titans though, and there's still a stable of visionaries like Sergio Martino, Umberto Lenzi, Andrea Bianchi, and Michele Soavi. For this contest you'll need to tell me your favorite Italian horror that wasn't directed by the Big Three, and you'll be in it to win Blue Underground's new release of Michele Soavi's first feature, STAGEFRIGHT.

[​IMG]

Tell us your favorite Italian horror movie NOT directed by Lucio Fulci, Dario Argento or Mario Bava and why and you could win Blue Underground's new STAGEFRIGHT Blu-ray. Second place will get the new STAGEFRIGHT release on DVD.

A winner will be randomly selected a week from today on Monday, October 20th.

Make a single post in this thread telling us your non-Fulci/Argento/Bava Italian movie to be entered to win.

Good luck, sages of spaghetti splatter!

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It would probably be DEMONS (1985). Argento wrote and produced it...but did not direct it! :evil:

I just love it for many reasons. Nostalgia from the VHS rental days certainly plays a large part, the great music soundtrack, and I just love films where people get trapped in buildings and such.

3. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

I'm going to go with Romano Scavolini's Nightmare (1981). It's not a great film by any stretch, but it was exactly what I was looking for at the time. With the advent of the internet, it made tracking down forgotten films that so much easier. At that point, I had only seen their VHS boxes for in video stores as a child. I remember gazing on their covers and thinking the films must depict the most horrific acts of violence I could ever imagine. I was both repelled by and completely drawn to them.

As I started tracking these films down decades later, I quickly realized that they were nothing they were cracked up to be... except for Nightmare. Oddly enough, I didn't know about Nightmare's existence until my search as an adult. When I finally saw it, I thought to myself "This is it. This is everything that creeped me out from those clam-shell cases... all rolled into one film".

It's grimy. It has shag carpets and wood paneled TV's. It doesn't have one likeable character. The violent scenes are few and far between but they are relentlessly sleazy. It's a downer and sometimes I'm in the mood for that.

Soavi's Stagefright and D'amato's Buio Omega are runner ups.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  4. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

This is a truly tough choice and my answer might change from day to day. Tonight I'll go with the talented Michele Soavi's THE CHURCH. It started out as just another film in the DEMONS franchise but evolved into a richer, stand alone mix of gothic horror and balls to the wall shock. The pictures descent into madness is quite creepy as is the opening medieval massacre. The tunnel scene is one of my favorites in Italian horror. Great score too. Soavi went on to more famous films but he was firing on all cylinders with this early effort.

5. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I have to go with Ruggero Deodato's Cannibal Holocaust. It's a devastating film that I've only seen once in its entirety. Close runner-up would be What Have They Done to Solange?. Also, I think I'd add Umberto Lenzi and his titles as a second runner-up.

6. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

Andrea Bianchi. Burial Ground. It's got everything a horror film should have in it.

7. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

Michele Soavi's Cemetary Man, AKA Dellamorte Dellamore. I actually love every movie he has directed, but I love anything that is Zombie related. There are other Italian movies that I enjoy, but I have view Cemetary Man many times.

8. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

Avati's House with the Laughing Windows.

9. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Toss up between Cannibal Holocaust and Burial Ground. CH would probably win out but Burial Ground is a lot of fun!

10. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Really, there are too many to choose just one, but I'll say Castle of Blood. It's an extremely atmospheric haunted castle movie, made by the great Antonio Margherirti. It's well written and directed, and even has a cameo by the master of the macabre himself, Edgar Allan Poe!

11. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Cannibal Holocaust. I've only seen it once. I was absolutely horrified.

12. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Torso, cuz it's just sleazy and makes me feel dirty which is good. Probably my favorite blind buy Italian flick from the dvd days and an instant upgrade to blu-ray.
    Demons is a close second.

13. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

I might have to go with Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key. It was only the second giallo I've had ever seen and I rented it from a cult video store (that is no longer in business). The title was so ridiculous that I had to see it. The movie itself didn't shy away from going over the top either.

It's just a lot of fun and I remember it from the final days of the video store era.

14. bigmix007

bigmix007 Member

Cannibal Holocaust or House at the Edge of the Park for me

15. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Cemetery Man for sure. Great story, performances, and cinematography.

16. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

Sergio Martino's The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh (Blade of the Ripper). I like the visuals and the score by Nora Orlandi is great. Good sleazy fun.

17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

My favorite is probably Sergio Martino's All the Colors of the Dark. It has a lot going for it: a satanic cult, psychedelic visuals, a cold autumn atmosphere, a nude Edwige Fenech, and a haunting score by Bruno Nicolai. This is one of my favorite horror soundtracks!

18. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

BURIAL GROUND for me as well. I just saw it for the first time last week and had a blast!!!

19. rift

rift New Member

Demons. Great setting, great characters, gonzo set pieces, incredibly re-watchable, great with an audience.

20. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

Martino's Mountain of the Cannibal God (as proved by my avatar). It remonds me of a good old fashioned Saturday matinee jungle adventure with a good dosage of exploitation and a suprisingly good cast. Come on Blue Underground I need this on BD.