CONTEST #3: Good Remakes

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Oct 22, 2014.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

This week we've got a remake in VOD with THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN and a remake on Blu-ray with 1988's THE BLOB. For every handful of bad remakes over the years, there usually emerges a good remake and you could win one in the form of Twilight Time's THE BLOB by telling us...[/b]
    [​IMG]

This week we've got a remake in VOD with THE TOWN THAT DREADED SUNDOWN and a remake on Blu-ray with 1988's THE BLOB. For every handful of bad remakes over the years, there usually emerges a good remake that can build on flaws from the original, or wisely sidestep successes of the past by taking the franchise in a fresh, new direction. Common citations are Carpenter's THE THING, Cronenberg's THE FLY, or more recently Platinum Dunes remakes like THE AMITYVILLE HORROR and THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE. The dream team collaboration between Writer Frank Darabont and Director Chuck Russell for THE BLOB is another one that usually gets mentioned, and it's easy to see why. You can see for yourself, too, by winning an extra copy of the hard-to-get Twilight Time Blu-ray right here from HORROR DIGITAL.

[​IMG]

To win THE BLOB (1988) on Blu-ray, just tell us, what's your favorite horror remake, and why?.

A winner will be randomly selected on Monday, October 27th.

Make a single post in this thread telling us your favorite horror remake to be entered to win.

Every franchise here got a second chance, but you only get one this time around, so make it count and you might win!

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

It just works perfectly on so many different levels, and is one rare example where it really was better in many ways compared to the original film...at least IMO.

[​IMG]

3. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Black Christmas. It's humorous, looks beautiful, really does feel like Christmas, has some awesome chills and kills, and has a few actresses in it that I really like.

4. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

Night Of The Living Dead (1990)

[​IMG]

A great remake that captures the mood and atmosphere of the original while adding new twists. I also like the cast in this one, Tom Towles was especially. I think what makes this remake work is the fact that most of the team that did the original film was involved in making it. Tom Savini did a great job directing as well.

5. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

The 2009 Friday the 13th, because it didn't stray from the formula of parts 2-6 much.

6. bigmix007

bigmix007 Member

The Fly remake

7. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

John Carpenter's The Thing. I was lucky to see it with my Mom and brother when it was released, and even over 30 years later, I watch it at least twice a year. The makeup effects have held up even after all these years.

8. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

The Thing. It does something different from the original by going back to the source material to tell an entirely new story. It also uses the FX of the time to give us something that could've never been done in the original.

9. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

John Carpenter's The Thing. Despite seeing the film numerous times it still puts me on the edge of my seat and I love Morricone's score.

10. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

John Carpenter's The Thing. Mostly for it's superb direction. Also, the music and performances.

11. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

The Hills Have Eyes...liked it more than the original.

12. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Mine would actually be The Blob 1988. I've always been a little obsessed about this one. It has some of the best characters and I love the small town in it. It's a place I want to live in and it's the glorious 1980s.

13. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Frankenstein (1931)

The first great film based on Mary Shelley's novel, and 83 years later it's still the best.

I realize it's disingenuous to call this a remake in the proper sense. James Whale's film was not based on J. Searle Dawley's "Edison" Frankenstein from 1910, nor was it based on Eugenio Testa's lost 1921 adaptation, Il mostro di Frankenstein. Then again, John Carpenter's The Thing was based on the novel, Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell, Jr., not on Howard Hawks' previous 1951 adaptation, The Thing from Another World. ;)

14. Ninjalo

Ninjalo New Member

I will have to say The Thing remake is mine. It gives you that claustrophobic feel and is truly horrifying! Great direction and special effects, along with suburb acting adds to the horror!

15. myhorror

myhorror Member

The Thing and The Fly are perfect examples of what a remake should do. You don't make a pointless remake of something that has come out in the last decade and dumb it down. You dig deep in the older films that could really be perfected with good practical effects, good writing, and good directing.

16. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Member

There are a fair amount of remakes that I actually enjoy (Friday the 13th, Hills Have Eyes, Halloween, The Omen, and a few others), but The Texas Chainsaw Massacre would have to be my favorite remake. Obviously I enjoyed the original, but the remake is a nice update. I enjoyed the cast (especially R. Lee Ermy) and the new different angles that the remake took. Overall I really enjoyed it.

17. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1978). The sense of paranoia and dread in this one has never been matched! The early scenes in a crowded city on broad daylight are somehow frightening, when logic dictates that they shouldn't be. Not to mention the terrific cast!

18. bigmix007

bigmix007 Member

Just watched invasion of the body snatchers, last night and I had never seen that version only the newest version. And you are right it was awesome.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  19. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    It's hard to beat Carpenter's The Thing. Incredible film more accurate to the source material.

20. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

There's a few remakes that I enjoy (TCM 03, Blob '88, The Thing '82), but The Fly (1986) is one of my favorite remakes. Great cast and suspense, and amazing special effects.