CONTEST #3: Good Remakes

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Oct 22, 2014.

1. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

Quite a few good ones but Aja's "The Hills Have Eyes" is so good I can't really watch Craven's original anymore.

2. muceo13

muceo13 Member

The Thing. No contest.

3. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

Cronenberg's The Fly. Genuinely shocking and emotional.

Honorable mentions: The Blob (hope I win it, because there's no way I'm buying Twilight Time's overpriced "limited" bullshit), The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Dawn of the Dead.

Most overrated: Carpenter's The Thing. Cardboard characters and plot stupidity. The only reason it's so highly regarded are the FX.

4. marcx

marcx New Member

The thing--the oppressive tone, the fear of isolation, the FX work..it all comes together perfectly.

5. Rft183

Rft183 Member

I have to go with the Friday the 13th remake. While it didn't quite have the feel of the original few Fridays, it was much closer than the later ones. My biggest complaint about it is the soundtrack. I would have preferred it to remind me of the original Friday the 13th soundtrack.

6. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

I will go with The Thing, although I am a big fan of the Dawn of the Dead remake.

7. streetlight

streetlight Member

Last House on the Left. I thought it was brutal. The direction, acting, and cinematography were excellent in my opinion

8. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I'm going with Kaufman's Invasion of the Body Snatchers. A lot of big-budget 70s horror films are pretentious crap (like The Prophecy) made by people with clear contempt for the genre. But this one would go on my personal top ten list. Everything about the production is first-rate. But in my opinion, Kaufman is the key. Like Halloween, the story gets rolling in such an organic and expedient fashion. And Kaufman demonstrates an incredibly deft touch with setpieces like the discovery of Goldblum's duplicate in the baths. Like Jaws, this is a great film--not just a great genre product.

9. HoldenMcNeil

HoldenMcNeil Member

The Hills Have Eyes (2006). A fantastic update to the story. Amazing special effects. One of the most joyous theater experiences I have had.

10. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

My all time favorite remake is "The Thing", but I agree about the 2006 remake of The Hills have Eyes. Brutal and very entertaining.
    Never cared for Craven´s original anyway.

11. Do you see

Do you see Member

The Thing...John Carpenter and Kurt Russell, need I say more?

12. highclassrob

highclassrob Member

The best remake of all time is John Carpenters the thing! It takes a slightly cheesy and aged classic and spins it on its head and makes it a dark beast full of paranoia and fear. Those monsters are still terrifying!

13. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

The Fly.

The scene at the end where Brundle/fly helps aim the shotgun at his head destroys me every time.:cry:

14. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I'll agree with the majority and pick The Thing. One of my all time favorite films and I was also lucky enough to see this in the theater as a teenager. No matter how many times I watch it I still give it a 10 rating.

15. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

My obvious pics were Kaufman's BODY SNATCHERS and Carpenter's THE THING but I'm gonna reach a bit and pick Paul Schrader's 1982 version of CAT PEOPLE.Based on the 1940's classic produced by Val Lwton, it takes the skeleton of the original and turns it into a stylish, moody fever dream.Erotic, beautifully well shot and with a great Giorgio Moroder score ,it is a great 80's time capsule as well as an effectively freaky movie about sexual obsession. It has a following but I still tend to think it's a bit underrated.

16. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

My pick would be Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978). This movie scared me as a kid and has held up very well over the years for me. Great performances all around & tense direction. This is one of my favorite Blu-ray releases from Arrow Films.

17. MrTransistor1

MrTransistor1 Member

John Carpenter's The Thing, good suspense and great special effects. Best horror remake ever.

18. scaryguy88

scaryguy88 New Member

The fly is great keeps the story of the original but turns it on it's head

19. Harrycanyon

Harrycanyon Banned Mofo

The Hills Have Eyes, Night of the Living dead 1990, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Dawn of the Dead, Maniac, My Bloody Valentine 3D, Cat People, Piranha and The Blob.

However, i do NOT consider The Thing a "remake" of the earlier film called The Thing from Another World as the 2 films are very very different from each other or even the 1951 "original" and there is a confusion as the only thing they got is snow and alien. Sure there were 2 homages to the earlier film in Carpenter's film like circle of men and opening title card sequence but those are it as everything between the 2 films like the location (one in the north pole and the other the south), the characters and their backgrounds, the origin/discovery of the spaceship, the methods and nature of the alien (The Thing from Another World featured a dumbed down alien vampire vegetable humanoid plant creature that resembled Frankenstein's monster as it only sucked blood from living beings but it only had ONE form as it wasn't a shapeshifting being like in the original story where the other movie featured a shapeshifting being that could imitate living beings by a touch) and all that. I consider the 2 films (The Thing from Another World, there is no film called "The Thing" in 1951 where the other film is called "The Thing" in 1982 which was not a remake in name/constrast/source to the earlier film as it's foolishly labeled a remake of the earlier film) to be 2 separate and completely different adaptations of the same original source material "Who Goes There" by John Campbell. The Thing from Another World which was Howard Hawks's and Christian Nyby's film was very very good but in reality it was a terrible terrible adaptation of the book as it's one of the worst book to film adaptations of all time just like The Lawmower Man or The Running Man as it was nothing like the book it was suppose to be based on. Sure Carpenter maybe a fan of the earlier film but he is a fan of the original story that spawned the earlier film and he didn't remade the earlier film he re-adapted the story for his movie and made his own movie as it was an excellent adaptation and it borrowed nothing from the earlier film. To say the Thing is a "remake" of the earlier film is like saying Stephen King's The Shining is a "remake" of the kubrick movie or saying every Dracula film is a "remake" of 1931's film with 1922's Nosferatu or saying I Am Legend is a "remake" of Omega Man and saying Omega Man is a "remake" of Last Man on Earth, NO, these are all separate adaptations of original source material (books) and aren't based on motion pictures produced earlier and have nothing to do with each other's films other than being based on the source materials.

To me the definition of a remake is when it's based on a motion picture produced earlier even an original screenplay not based on any existing source material like say The Blob or Hills have Eyes, TRUE remakes as they are based on the motion pictures produced earlier. Re-adaptations are separate adaptations of source material like comics/novellas/books like say Nolan's Batman trilogy, The Thing, Carrie, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Frankenstein/Dracula films, Jekyll and Hyde movies etc.

20. myhorror

myhorror Member

^^^ Sweet Jesus