CONTEST #3: MANIAC Madness

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Oct 19, 2010.

1. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

I'd have to go with Last House On The Left. Dye to personal issues with a friend, the rape scenes were very tough to watch...

2. Sinister Ash

Sinister Ash New Member

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. I found it extremely realistic and disturbing... the video recording was really hard to watch.

3. Son of Moseley

Son of Moseley New Member

My pick would be The Toxic Avenger, for that hit and run scene. Still disturbs me every time how realistically that kid dies and how much the jocks and their bimbos love it!

4. Mitbox

Mitbox Member

Definitely Irreversible, it's the only movie that got me as an adult (the first act though, not the rape scene). On repeated viewings, the scene didn't have the least impact, I guess the surprise factor is important.

As a child, I couldn't stomach Maniac, I was watching it late at night on VHS and I had to stop it in the middle and continue the next day (watching it at night or day made a huge difference for some reason). I was very excited when I got to see it again as a grown up since I remembered clearly how I felt as a child, it turns out that I still felt it was as dark as I remembered but not to the point to not being able to continue watching it.

5. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i found the end of Requiem For a Dream physically painful to endure. Its an absolutely fantastic movie, and Aronofsky is a terrific director. But I don't think I'd ever want to see the movie again.

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I've been thinking the same thing.

I will confess though that after the opening of the Dawn of the Dead remake I had to step out of the theater during the opening credits to take a breather because it was a very effective sequence. I've never done that before or since, and when I came back into the theater the rest of the film was fine.

Since I'd like a copy of Manic on Blu, Dawn of the Dead (2004) will have to do.

7. xdiggler

xdiggler Member

Kingdom Of The Spiders....oh hell, anything with spiders!!!

8. Wez4555

Wez4555 Happy Trees Motherfucker!

Slaughtered vomit dolls! all the puking...all the crazy camera work...its all HARD to watch!

9. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

Bloodsucking Freaks!

Another New York film based in sleaze. Although the effects are crude they are effective and I absolutely love the monologue at the beginning by Sardu telling the audience to believe or not to believe in his grand guignol type show.
    One of my first treasures from Troma... of course!

10. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Requiem for a Dream was definitely at the top of the list. A brilliant film, but the scene where the mother explains why she's taking the diet pills was so heart-breaking I had to stop the film for while and decompress for a bit before returning.

But, since that's not exactly a horror film, I should probably just throw in with the others that said Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. I've seen a lot of shock based gore films, but there is something about Henry that just gets under my skin. It also doesn't help that I live in Chicago and know most of the locations for the film.

11. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

The Fly (1986). I'm not a person who gets grossed out easily and I'm very jaded with most movies but for some reason The Fly has always had this off-putting effect on me. Every time I watch it I have a hard time getting through it, and that's not because it's a bad movie.

12. anthony1138

anthony1138 New Member

Mountain of the Cannibal God, for the blatant animal killings and the poor attempt to make them look natural.

13. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Any "mondo" type film or any film that deals with real human death footage. I enjoy a film that challenges me to sit through it, but only when it is not real. I can't imagine why anybody would enjoy films like Faces of Death. It is absolutely disgusting and depressing.

14. Zack

Zack New Member

I'd have to go with Martyrs. I think it was due partly to the fact that I hadn't slept in over 24 hours when I watched it, but that movie made me really uncomfortable. Irreversible had the same effect but not nearly as strong.

15. Ninjalo

Ninjalo New Member

Frist off anything with real animal violence is garbage and i don't consider it a film in any way.

That being said I have to go with "A serbian film"

I don't want to give anything away for thoses who haven't seen it, because it is a great movie, but about 45-50 minutes in you will know exactly why this is the sickest movie ever!

And it doesn't stop there, once it stabs you right between the eyes at that point, it keeps kicking you and beating you until the end and then for good measure before it leaves you, it spits right in your face.

Again great movie, one of my favorites, but there are things you can't unsee after seeing this movie!!!

16. Rft183

Rft183 Member

The original Last House on the Left. I watched it once, and refused to watch it again. As a matter of fact, I got rid of it. The film made me feel really "dirty". yuck.

17. The Doctor

The Doctor New Member

Silent Night, Deadly Night. Word to the wise: never watch this when you're fighting depression. In recent years, I have been able to watch it, but I'm always a bit tense and nervous when doing so.

Runner up: Death Wish 2. Even though it's not strictly horror, I have to fast foirward through the first 20 minutes of the film every time I see it. Those who have seen it know why.

18. marcx

marcx New Member

It took me several sittings to get thoroguh August Underground's mordum, so I am going withthat...but a Serbian film sure has its moments as well....

19. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I'm gonna go in a totally different direction here. Although some films with excessive gory violence or animal cruelity can be very disturbing, most of the time I can get past violence of a visual nature. It's the psychological horror films that make one think, that have always fucked with my head and therefore, have actually kept me up at night. The last film that scared the shit out of me, gave me nightmares and one in which I'm relectant to watch again..at least alone, is The Exorcism of Emily Rose. The scenes of where this young girl is seemingly violated by demons freaks me out. The subtle references to evil throughout the film had a tremendous impact on me. Even now, if I wake up in the middle of the night and have to venture to the bathroom, I always glance at the clock and if the time is anywhere in the 3 AM hour, it freaks me out totally. The 3am hour is referenced in this film and is supposedly the true witching hour, and is considered the most evil hour of the day, if you subscribe to such dogma. I'm not an overly religious person, nor am I catholic, but it still scares the shit out of me. Like the Exorcist, the notion that nobody is safe from terrible unseen forces that can take over you mind and body just freak me the hell out. I don't think a film needs to be gory or excessively violent to have a memorable impact.

20. kimboslice

kimboslice Member

A Serbian film. I've nEver had a problem sitting through a film till I saw this one.