CONTEST #3: SCREAMing Soundtracks

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Oct 17, 2011.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

We always talk about the violence, but what would a horror movie be without music? Imagine THE EXORCIST without "Tubular Bells" or HALLOWEEN without that piano or SUSPIRIA without Goblin? Tell us your favorite horror film soundtrack and you could win a copy of the SCRE4M soundtrack![/b]
    [​IMG]

Our horror talk usually gets relegated to the deaths, gores, nudity and directors behind our favorite movies, but the music certainly goes a long way to defining the movies we love. What would THE EXORCIST be without "Tubular Bells" or HALLOWEEN without that piano or SUSPIRIA without Goblin? The SCREAM films have always had defining soundtracks themselves, a mix between brooding orchestral flourishes and pop music.

SCREAM 4 is no exception, and with the film now out on Blu-ray and DVD we've got 3 soundtracks to giveaway. All you've got to do is tell us, what's your favorite horror film soundtrack and why?

[​IMG]

The contest runs for one week, from today until Monday, October 24th, at which point a new contest will commence as part of our October Madness extravaganza.

Winners will be randomly selected based upon all the posts in this thread.

Make a post to secure a sound investment...tell us your favorite horror movie soundtrack and why!

Attached Files:

2. NMA

NMA New Member

Resident Evil

"The Resident Evil Main Theme" is absolutely one of the best crafted, additive piece of industrial chant that gives me the chills each time I listen to it. Besides it is composed and produced by Marilyn Manson and Tim Skold.

3. streetlight

streetlight Member

the 1986 film Killer Workout, the keyboards and melodies put me in a good mood

4. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Probably Fight Club, although I liked the clips of tunes in the film better than the full tracks in most cases.

5. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i could say something like the exorcist, for tubular bells, or the fucked up arrangements of classical music in the shining, or the beautifully moody score to herzog's nosferatu remake, or john carpenter's iconic halloween theme. All of those are great scores. But the first thing that came to my mind was how impressed i was by the score to Mark of the Devil. The violin (i think its violin - im not a musical person) that's used in the main theme, and that plays over the menu screen for the dvd, is so effective it makes my hair stand on end...in a good way.

6. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

So many great ones from those Italian films. I'm going to have to go with Tenebre as being a favorite. It just struck me so profoundly the first time I heard it.

7. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

As much as I love Goblin and a lot of Italian film scores for that matter, the soundtrack I have to go with is the Martin score by Donald Rubinstein. That haunting blend of unique smokey jazz, horror atmosphere, and the vocal "Calling" are truly unduplicated and unheard of outside that film. It's such a unique score, so individual to the film and beautiful, haunting, and quirky all at the same time. It's also the first film soundtrack I bought that started my collecting of film scores and soundtracks. So Donald Rubinstein's Martin is my pick.

8. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I'm a soundtrack guy moreso than a film score guy. So my favorite would have to be the awesome collection of songs found on the Death Proof soundtrack.

9. Conal Cochran

Conal Cochran New Member

Creepshow, this one is simply gorgeous and the piano is superb. Halloween III is also a big favorite.

10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Hellraiser by Christopher Young would easily be my favorite soundtrack. The atmosphere of the entire score is simply beautiful and haunting at the same time. There's rarely a week that goes by where I don't listen to it (and also Hellbound) at least once.

11. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

If I could just pick a single song, it'd be "Calqhoun's Story" from Ravenous. They way the song slowly shifts into something so overwhelming with dread is astounding. I'd say the same for "The Stendahl Syndrome Theme" by Morricone.

But, for overall use of music in a film, it's easily Kubrick's Shining. The Berlioz over the mountain shots, the Ligeti during the breakdown, the soundscapes of W____ Carlos even the jazz in the lounge; such a wide range of sonic styles converging into one hell of a powerful soundtrack.

12. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I love horror soundtracks. My favorite is Halloween 3 by John Carpenter and Alan Howarth. I love electronic music, especially the early 80s sound and this fits the bill perfectly. The music works very well with the film and without it, the film would suffer dearly. Next fav would be Goblin's Suspiria soundtrack.

13. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I'd have to go with THE THING (1981). Carpenter almost always manages to produce a haunting score but, with the help of Morricone, this one gets right under my skin and expresses such a sense of loneliness...it really stays with me.

14. Caspar2112

Caspar2112 New Member

The soundtrack to Balaban's movie Parents is awesome. Suspiria and Phenomena is also a must have.

15. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Member

Poltergeist. Whenever I watch it I have "La la la, la la la, la la laaaa laaaa la," stuck in my head for weeks.

16. Ninjalo

Ninjalo New Member

Return of the Living Dead, great punk music, added to the wildness and fun of that movie!

17. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

If I have to pick just one, it would be Susperia - Goblin just nailed it perfectly for mood and atmosphere.

But I also love the soundtracks to Kill Bill volume 1, The River's Edge, and Death Proof. And Conan the Barbarian (not horror, but it's my favorite soundtrack ever)

18. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Suspiria - Goblin puts together both a unique and chilling soundtrack that works great with this artistic horror film. Long after watching this movie for the first time the soundtrack just would not get out of my head.

19. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Oh cmon, isn't it obvious?

When the leaves of summer turn to red and gold and the football games bring a hint of the cold it's time to get away.

We'll pack the car with escape in mind. Forget about class and leave the books behind and disappear....

We're going on a....

FALL BREAK!!!!!

20. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

Last House On The Left!!! Best ever!!!