Contest #3: Slasher Holidays

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Copyboy

Copyboy Member

The thread is horror movie holiday and not holiday horror movie, right? I've got to go with Halloween. The whole month of October totally gets me in the mood for all things John Carpenter, Hammer and Universal Classic Monsters. Living here in New England certainly helps too by lending that horror movie atmosphere to real life with the changing leaves, drop in temperature and shorter days. With all the orange, yellow and red on the trees, there are some days when it's almost as if everything takes on the hue of the foliage. Totally Dean Cundey. The world around me just turns into the perfect setting for a horror movie.

2. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Halloween...as long it isn't tainted by white trash.

3. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

who'm i kidding? halloween

4. Mitbox

Mitbox Member

Christmas...because of Black Christmas, my fav. movie of all time, and because I can add SNDN to the mix.

5. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Halloween is my favorite holiday for slashers, although Halloween ( the film) basically owns the holiday. Valentines day, which I believe has the most number of slashers attached to it, seems more accommodating . I wonder why?

6. Spit

Spit Active Member

Well not to be unoriginal, but I gotta agree with the masses. Halloween!

7. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I'm going to go with Valentine, which is easily my most watched holiday-themed slasher. It's good, trashy fun.

8. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Black Christmas nothing better. :)

9. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Er um.....HALLOWEEN!!!!!

I do like Christmas stuff like Silent Night Deadly Night and Black Christmas though - something about winter and snow horror :)

10. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    Silent Night Deadly Night 2 would be a favorite. It has all the best parts of part 1, and Eric Freeman's epic performance!

11. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

That's a tough one. Halloween

12. KappaMoth

KappaMoth Guest

Groundhog Day! ...waitaminute...

13. marcx

marcx New Member

Halloween takes the cake...but Friday the 13th is a close second....and runners up include valentine's day and APRIL FOOLS DAY!

14. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Black Christmas - the original.

15. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Member

Black Christmas

16. Jason101

Jason101 New Member

The original Friday the 13th, these movies have a high rewatchability factor and are awesome to watch on Friday the 13th since this date can happen twice a year.

17. AndresG

AndresG Member

Halloween is the winner by far followed by Black X-mas (the original) as a close 2nd one.

18. zombiecraig

zombiecraig New Member

Halloween.

Though Black Christmas has really grown on me in recent years.

19. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Member

sorry to not be original but it has to be HALLOWEEN!!!!

20. Hands-down I 'm gonna have to be a bit unoriginal in this contest, once again, and choose Mr. John Carpenter's seminal classic, legendary Halloween (1978).

It was the pre-cursor to the more Exploitation style Slashers that would start to appear a full year and a half later by the Fall of '81 in theaters all across North America.

It started the usage of many fellow film makers that would rip off what Mr. Carpenter (and to be fair & give credit where credit is do also his fine co-writer, the late/great Debra Hill, and Academy Award winning cinematographer Dean Cundey as well) a lot over the next three years, and these are film makers who were his contemporaries who saw the film originally in theaters in '78, and oddly enough, instead of being inspired by his hard work and the others on that project, it was this interesting penicale of genre film history in which others--although as a big fanatic of the sub-genre, often very entertainingly--rip off his work often in such broad terms. Only adding in more female flesh/sleaze and of course, upping the ante of the gore/make-up FX factor. This was truely one of the first of the not-so-rare cases in which the other film makers who were riding the coat tails of the much loved & much loathed and the same time sub-genre pretty much had very little in the way of the basis of the ideas' that made the first Halloween such a classic. I mean sure, I like & enjoy some of the knock-off films for what they are in retrospect as well, but admitedly, many of them, as we can see now, simply threw they're rushed productions together on a shoe-string budget similar to Halloween's without having a single damn original idea in their heads.

And even still, they could of course never wonderfully reduplicate the overall style, suspence, performances and the craft as well as lighting style. Or the memorable characters, such as the eccentric, perhaps mentally-unbalanced like a Giallo character at this point in his life himself Mr. Sam Loomis, who is a Captian Ahab like oddity (the late/great Donald Plesance). Or the shy, timid & sexually repressed Laurie Strode (Jamie Lee Curtis, still looking radiant), as well as her friends who aren't annoying but more like regular everyday North American (or anywhere else in the westernized world) folk.

There was a lot of magic here that of course is quite obviously extremely difficult to duplicate twice, as evident by the fact that while there have of course been very consistantly entertaining, sometimes scary and over all effective Slasher films out there, none however, were ever quite done with the style, craft, subtle touches and overall awesomeness in which this seminal classic was made. Also Halloween '78 pretty much had a damn near perfect cast. Pretty much no other Slasher installment after this would sadly be blessed with as much luck as Carpenter & Hill were. Rather the films were cast on the far east or west coast, the casting directors and other film makers had to simply take what they could get, and a lot of the performances in the weaker scripts that you just know not all the actors believed in, almost always suffered assuredly for it.

Take a bow, Mr. Carpenter. Take a bow ...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2009