CONTEST #4: Sequel > Original

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I imagine some of this is due to age; as in, we're not old enough to have seen Psycho when it first came out (well, I'M not that old). I bet if we'd been subject to nothing but horror movies with rubber suit monsters for decades then suddenly seen something like Psycho we'd have been blown away. But now, it's likely that a horror film fan has seen dozens of psychotic killer movies long before he/she goes into the vault to check out Psycho, not to mention so many infamous scenes in that movie are part of the horror vernacular. Even when I first saw it, probably around 13-14, I knew when Janet Leigh went into the shower that some bad shit was gonna happen.

2. Stige

Stige Active Member

I guess I'll go with devil's rejects as well, the tone was darker, grittier, and the movie felt more "entertaining"

3. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I'll join in with baggio's acclaim for Psycho II. It was the first one I saw and I think it's the perfect sequel. More replay value than the first film, but I'm also a fan of every film in that series.

Definitely prefer later Friday the 13th films to the original. We've had these discussions before, but I'll take 2 through 6 over the first in that string of flicks.

Amityville II: The Possession is another one that gets better with each viewing. Just a great all around horror film.

I'd agree with Maniac Cop 2 as well, but that's about it for horror sequels that I feel actually surpass the first. There are some that I think are close or on par, but aren't better than the first.

4. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I know there are a couple of good examples besides those already mentioned but I'm a bit braindead today so I can't think of any off the top of my head.

I'll go with Dawn of the Dead. It seems blasphemous to go against NOTLD in any way, but Dawn of the Dead just had such an impact on me as kid there's no denying it's my favorite.

5. muceo13

muceo13 Member

Day Of The Dead. My favorite of the trilogy.

6. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Friday the 13th Part II. It's my favourite in the franchise. It not only introduces is to the iconic horror villain Jason Vorhees with the awesome bag head mask, but also delivers better kills and one of the best chase scenes in slasher history.

7. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Member

Not too many sequels that I prefer over the original....although there are plenty of good sequels that are close (Friday 13th 2, Halloween 2, etc..) they just usually don't quiote match up to the original for me. I would have to say Sorority House Massacre 2 is a better and more fun movie to me than Sorority House Massacre. Both fall in the cheesy/campy fun 80's vibe but I prefer the sequel in this case.

8. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Dawn of the Dead for me.

9. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Creepshow 2

Most fans prefer 1. I love the original and all but found both the stories and pacing better in 2. 1 ran too long IMO.

10. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

Hmm, I think I agree with you. "The Raft" is definitely my favorite segment of the two movies.

11. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Totally forgot about that one, also agree.

12. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Member

I prefer Amityville 2 to the original. More style, better direction, more craziness.

13. ZoSo

ZoSo The Fucking King

Devil's Rejects > House of 1000 Corpses

You get much more into the characters.... and I love that soundtrack!

14. myhorror

myhorror Member

I'll go with Ghoulies 2 over the first one. Such a fun movie and I love the carnival setting. I like the first one but it's a little dry compared to 2.

15. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Does "Quatermass and the Pit" count since it's the third in the series? The first two were low-budget classics, but the third one is bigger in every way. Bigger spectacle, bigger themes, bigger filming. One of my favorite Hammer films.

If not, I'd probably have to go with Exorcist III. Unless the shoe-horning discounts that one. I've never been a big fan of the first one. It just didn't work for me. But the stylish dialogue, the disjointed editing, fantastic performances and monologues, and, yeah, the hallway scene have always made III a favorite of mine.

But. most improved definitely goes to "Devil's Rejects"

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  16. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

Hellbound: Hellraiser II. Improves over the original with better atmosphere and imagery. It also features my favorite Cenobite in the whole series - Channard Cenobite.

17. reyven

reyven New Member

Amityville 2 is a great sequel. I prefer 2 over 1 because of demonic possession, special effects, story, incest (haha), and Diane Franklin! I met her at Texas Frightmare Weekend last year and she was a very cool, outgoing person!

18. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

Night of the Living Dead may have created the modern zombie genre, but the sequel Dawn of the Dead is the greatest zombie film of all time. A true epic, with tons of action, splatter, and character. Really expands and fleshes out the world introduced in NotLD. I believe the long-term success of the zombie genre is a direct result of this film's novel setting and "What would I do?" scenario.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  19. HoldenMcNeil

HoldenMcNeil Member

I gotta go with Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter. It is the slasher formula perfectly done, from the intense quick kills, to the scenes building up tension and suspense, to the final chase/confrontation with Jason at the end, all of it is done to the highest level of quality. One of the most perfectly paced and satisfying horror films ever made.

20. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Jaws 3, just improved everything the first films had going for them!

Seriously though, I'm not sure I can say just one.

Friday the 13th Part 4 was not only the first one I saw in theater, but like Holden just said, almost everything is perfect (except the MPAA forced gore trims).

Devil's Rejects is on a whole nother level than House of 1K, light years better IMO.

Then there's Dawn of the Dead, THE zombie movie.

Looking at em next to each other I think I can pick a winner. Friday 4 wins by a few sets of tits. The nudity puts it over the top, along with found memories of sneaking into the movies at 13 (my parents weren't gonna let me see that shit!).