CONTEST #4: TALES from your Childhood

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Oct 26, 2010.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

For so many of us, horror was a big part of our childhood - staying up late to watch whatever scares were on cable or peering through the VHS tapes in the horror section at the rental store. Tell us your first or favorite childhood horror memory and you could win a DVD series no doubt exposed to many of us during our childhoods, TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE.[/b]
    [​IMG]

For so many of us, horror was a big part of our childhood - staying up late to watch whatever scares were on cable, peering through the VHS tapes in the horror section at the rental store, buying tickets to THE LITTLE MERMAID and sneaking into DEEPSTAR SIX instead. Tell us your first or favorite childhood horror memory and you could win a DVD series no doubt exposed to many of us during our childhoods, TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE.

Make a single post in this tread telling us your first or favorite childhood horror memory and you'll be entered in a draw to win 1 of 3 copies of TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE: THE FINAL SEASON on DVD.

The contest runs for until Halloween night, Sunday, October 31st for our last October Madness hurrah.

Winners will be randomly selected based upon all the posts in this thread.

Let's hear it, horror fans...what is your first or favorite childhood horror memory?

Attached Files:

2. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

One of my favorite childhood horror memory was setting up "camp" in the living room on Saturdays to watch some late night classic horror movie on TV. Stuff like the original King Kong, Them!, the French movie Expulsion of the Devil or whatever was showing.
    Good times, and I never had to sneak around when it came to horror movies either as I got full support from my mother, who was also a horror movie fan :)

3. Jimmy S

Jimmy S New Member

My best horror memory from my childhood is when I've seen my first movie in a theatre, not really a theatre since it was in a very little town with less than 900 citizens. I was 12 years old (it's been a while, since now I'm 40) and my mother gave us the choice to me and my brother to go watch a practice of the Chicoutimi Sagueneens at our local arena or go at the cinema festival. My brother, of course, decided to go for the hockey (paying to watch a practice, I didn't see the point) and me for the cinema.

The films were shown in the basement of our Church (an odd mix with the horror theme) and it was a triple feature with An American Werewolf in London, Dead & Buried and The Funhouse. A lot of fun, some night of nightmare and all this for 2$. :D

4. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

"Corrupting" my little bro'

In Junior High, VCRs were still a novelty (at least to my family), so I didn't have one in my room yet. We only had the communal one in the family room. When I wanted to watch something that my parents didn't want my little brother to see (Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Romero's Dead films), I had to stay up late. Of course, he would usually sneak down and watch it with me anyways.

Years later, when his group of friends thought the remakes of TCM and Dawn of the Dead were improvements, he still preferred the originals. I credit myself for instilling in him such good taste. :)

5. highclassrob

highclassrob Member

fAV MEMORY

My first memory of horror movies was finding my fathers stash of taped off HBO VHS tapes. I used to stay up waaaaay later than my family (and still do), mostly to watch Howard Stern's old Channel 9 show or Dream On, for the humor and the boobs. Late night browsing amongst my dad's racks of Star Trek episodes and The Outer Limits ( I'd get to those later) were a complete collection of Hitchcock films. What young boy wouldn't reach for a VHS labeled in stark black sharpie
    ...."PSYCHO". Turns out a boys best friend is his father.

6. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Probably staying up late to watch USA's Friday The 13th Marathon when I was about 7 or 8.

7. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

My parents brought home Edward Scissorhands one night. "Put those down." It was the scene where the lady first sees Edward in the attic hiding in the shadows, scratching his knives together. It scarred me for life! What a horror!

Watching it now, I feel a bit silly shrieking for it to be turned off. Haha

8. mrlabrad

mrlabrad New Member

Childhood Memories

My favorite childhood memory of a horror movie was Carrie. I watched that movie on cable and the last 30 minutes scared the crap out of me. I literally could not sleep at night because of it. The scene where she's drenched in blood was forever ingrained in my head. Also, the ending where Carrie's friend Sue visits Carrie's house was a big shocker. I think the movie was little too much for a 12 year to handle, but it's still one my favorite horror movies.

9. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Frankenstein Created Woman - watched this on HBO at my Grandma's house when I was 6 years old. We didn't have cable in our own house yet. Wasn't sure what I was in for until I saw the beheading of a man by gullotine which instantly freaked me out but drew me in. The other scene I vividly remembered growing up was when Christina was waiting in the room with the meat cleaver to chop off one of the juror's head.

Secondly would be when my parents went away for the night and I got my babysitter to let me rent Friday the 13th 1 thru 4. Her boyfriend brought over his VCR and I recorded them all that night until like 5 AM with another buddy.

10. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

My favorite (and first) horror memory is when I was 5 and Tales from the Crypt came on the TV screen. The infamous opening of the show caught my attention right off the bat and I knew after that horror would be a part of my life for the rest of time.

11. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

First memory would be of THe Fly, so early I can't remember. Second would be a Freddy's Nightmares episode.

12. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

The 50's sci-fi film It! The Terror From Beyond Space. I was four or five and the part where the monster breaks through the air shaft scared me so bad I ran to my room and listened to the rest of the picture with my ear to the wall.

13. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

My favorite early memories are probably of Creature Double Feature (WLVI broadcasting) - Godzilla and other monster movies; the fight with the spider in the Incredible Shrinking Man, Attack of the Mushroom People, etc.

Also the shape changing alien on Space 1999 really freaked me out but was so cool I couldn't stop watching.

14. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

My favorite childhood memory was seeing Poltergeist in the theater. Being just 7 years old at the time, it scared the living hell out of me. I can still remember the theater experience vividly, and couldn't even sleep later that night.

15. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

My youthful Saturday nights were often spent sleeping over at my best bud,Chris's house watching our local horror host,DR. MADBLOOD,present everything from the early Universal classics to Godzilla 's outings,A.I.P shockers with Vincent Price and my own personal favorites ,the Hammer horrors.We'd camp out in front of the TV in sleeping bags and consume gallons of Dr. Pepper and cheetos as the best,worst and weirdest horrors of yesteryear unspooled before our eyes.Looking back I think I had some of the happiest times of my life hanging out with my (still) best friend,watching old school horror flicks,fingertips stained orange from fake cheese dust,grinning like an idiot.Those were the days !
    Oh,on Oct. 30th DR. MADBLOOD returns to the airwaves for a special screening of HORROR HOTEL.Yep,I'll be watching ! Hope Chris is free.

16. Conal Cochran

Conal Cochran New Member

Probably staying late watchin hrror movies marathon on the cable.

17. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

My favorite childhood horror memory is of my very first horror movie.

I remember it well. We had just gotten cable at our house. And it had this great channel... showing uncut movies... commercial Free. A Channel called HBO. I was mesmerized.

Middle of the night that night I was still tossing and turning because of the excitement of a little kid with a new "toy". So I finally gave up trying to get some sleep and snuck out in the living room (the only room with a TV at the time). And as luck would have it... there was a movie that was just about to start. A movie called The Shining.

I was transfixed to the screen. Sitting on the couch hugging my knees to my chest in a ball. A mixture of nervousness and fear between the movie and worried my mother would wake up and catch me.

But from that time on I was completely hooked on horror... I loved every second of it! Thankfully when my love of horror became apparent to my mother (mother raised us... father passed away years before) she never showed concern about a kid watching horror... she just told me I was on my own watching it.

18. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    My first horror memory is watching a made for tv horror film titled Don't Go To Sleep. It scared the piss out of me and forever warped my mind, good stuff.

19. marcx

marcx New Member

On our first family vacation to Lake Geroge, there was a scary attraction called House of Frankenstein. Well once Isaw it Ikept begging to go in, and finally my parents relented..I was maybe 5? Anyway as sson as we walked on I was terrfied--there was a segment with a mushy floor that I wouldn't walk on--my Dad ad to carry me the rest of the way--I think we bailed at the first fire exit...

From that day forward anytime I wanted to do something that my parents thought was a bad idea they would say "You are pulling another Frankenstein..."

20. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

Despite watching horror films prolifically as a child, my favorite "horror" memory as a child has to do more with ghost stories.
    My friends and I, tired of the trite "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" and campy R.L. Stein books, would scour the public library searching for books about ghost legend and lore.
    Somehow, we became convinced that a pirate ghost by the name of "Ben" prowled the neighborhood. (Nevermind that this was the mid-West.)
    One night, while conducting a "ghost hunt" (long before amateur paranormal investigation became the "in" thing), we saw something that frightened all of us so much that we went running, as fast as we could, over an acre to our parents for support.
    To this day, I can't remember exactly what it was we saw, My memory is foggy in that respect, but I can tell you that we definitely all saw it and our reactions were all the same... chilled to the bone.