CONTEST #4: TALES from your Childhood

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

Being a child in the days before cable television, the only access I had to see the movies that appealed to me was Halloween. Being around the age of 9 or 10 in the mid eighties, I couldn't just drive down to the local video store to rent my particular brand of entertainment, so as much as my parents wanted me to do the whole costume trick or treating ritual, I would respectfully decline as I much rather wanted to just plant my ass on the floor in front of the television because that was the only time of year they would actually play the movies on TV that I wanted to see. Candy was readily available the other 364 days of the year, Easter is full of candy, I could get it then. Every year my parents would try anything to persuade me to go out, door to door like all the other kids, buying me whatever costume was the most popular that year, offering up the pillow case up instead of the little orange kiddie bag with the pumpkin on it just so I could feel a little more "hip", they tried it all. But Halloween night was the one night of the year where it seemed that the TV was programmed just for me. I wasn't about to give that up for all of the Kit Kat bars and Tootsie Rolls in the world.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  2. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

First real horror movie experience: Watching Halloween 4 with my buddy while my mom was having a nap (we were like 10 years old). [​IMG]

Another older friend of mine had once recounted the tale of Jason Voohese to me before that which ignited a keen interest in the genre. But it was Halloween 4 that ended up being my first REAL horror movie exposure and of course my introduction to Mr. Michael Myers. From that point on I was pretty much obsessed. The next one I watched was the original Halloween which I, of course, found to be incredible. :)

3. skinnypuppy

skinnypuppy New Member

My first horror movie/memory was watching Poltergeist with my father at the young age of 5 years old. I begged and pleaded him to stay up late with me one night and camp out in the basement watching it. At that time I had already seen a number of mild kids horror movies - Watcher in the Woods, Something Wicked This Way Comes, etc. POLTERGEIST was my FIRST official horror film though.

Luckily my father agreed and we stayed up late watching it. My father passed out around the mid-way point and I remember being so terrified of the face-melting scene. I had to wake him up immediately. After that experience I was hooked. He showed me other classics after that such as The Shinning, House, The Keep and a bunch of others.

4. rejectgirl

rejectgirl Guest

There was a party at a friends house, and everyone wanted to watch The Shining- some wimped out and left the room. I remember staying and being tranced by the movie. It was terrifying, but almost addicting at the same time. REDRUM REDRUM, the scene with the blood in the hallway was very intense for me as a 10 year old girl. We followed this movie up with Nightmare on Elm Street. I can remember laying in bed that night all alone with the cold sweats, sheets tight as could be around my shoulders,and many nights after that too. I was scared to death to fall asleep. Good times!

5. zombiecraig

zombiecraig New Member

My favorite memory is watching horror with my older sister, growing up. She had no problem with me watching the violence, but in her mind, I wasn't allowed to see nudity. No boobies! I can recall her blocking the screen in Halloween 2, when the nurse is scalded to death. Also, in The Shining, the bathtub woman was blocked. I remember just hearing the woman laughing at Jack Nicholson and thinking to this day that imagining the scene that first time was actually more terrifying than the real thing!

6. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

My parents were pretty good about keeping us anyway from horror films when we were young. I do have vivid memories of going to the video store with my dad to rent a VCR and a stack of movies for the weekends. I'd always spend some time in the horror section being absolutely amazed by the cover art. I'm pretty sure I knew better than to ask to rent a horror film, but I do remember dad picking out a scifi horror film, Saturn III, and we found it to be dreadfully boring. We razzed him for years about that one. In retrospect I can see that he choose it for Farrah Fawcett and was probably not the least bit disappointed with his choice.

7. Mytee

Mytee Guest

My first horror memory came at the age of four. it was June of 1975 and The Giant Spider Invasion was playing at the drive-in. I literally begged my parents to take me and they did. My mom was just about ready to deliver my brother so she had to keep getting out of the car to run for the bathroom
    The movie was total cheese-the spider was so obviously a volkswagon covered in fur with red filters over the headlights for eyes. If you really look close you can see the wheels.Ive been hooked ever since.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bksvon-hSDM

8. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Active Member

watching The Howling III when i was 8!

i rented it from the local video store and apparently my mom didn't mind, little did she know that she ignited my interest in horror, which she probably now regrets :p

9. pwrslave

pwrslave New Member

My first horror memory involves Poltergeist and the terror which plagued my mind for years to come. I remember going to the movie store to rent some movies for the weekend. I was maybe 4 or 5 and I remember seeing the cover for Poltergeist. I begged my parents to rent it. They at first told me no, but eventually caved.

We brought the Beta Max tape home and popped it in the machine, I was ready to go! I was good with everything, sometimes hiding behind my Mom, or them covering my eyes during certain scenes. But I was completely unprepared for the Clown. When that cursed doll strangled and pulled the helpless boy under the bed, I jumped off the couch and went screaming into the kitchen and hid behind the wall, tears rolling off my cheeks and all. I refused to return to the room until the movie was turned off, ejected from the player and put back into the case.

That evening before bed, i refused to go into my room until all of the stuffed animals were removed, placed into a large black garbage bags and hidden in my parents closet. I didn't remove those stuffed animals for what seemed like months after that evening. My fear of clowns began after viewing Poltergeist. Every time I saw one in public I would hide behind my parents, fearing they would kidnap me. I don't think I got over my fear of clowns until I was heading into middle school. The impact that movie had on me lasted YEARS!

In hindsight, I have a feeling my parents allowed the rental and viewing of this movie as a kind of "We told you so!" rational, but damn, talk about a harsh lesson! Needless to say, it kinda backfired, as I am a total horror fanatic today :)

10. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's my first memory, but a very important part of my youth was the Channel 7 4:30 movie. If anyone else here grew up in the NYC area in the 70s, you probably remember these. If not, then you can read all about the coolest television station in the world right here:

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/TV Guide/430movielogo.htm

The short version is that Channel 7 used to have these week-long movie marathons at 4:30 PM every day. There'd be a Vincent Price week, a Planet of the Apes week, a Giant Bugs week, Godzilla week, etc. I discovered these when I was in the third grade, just as I discovered Poe, and few things were more important in my little life at that point. So, every day after school, Kurt Limpert (I gotta Facebook that guy one of these days) and I would race home from school on our bikes to see what sort of madness Channel 7 had in store for us. That also helped foster my intense hatred of the "After School Special" as that would mean less SciFi/Horror goodness that week.

11. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I was 6 years old and it was mid-September 1992. My younger sister, two older cousins, and I were staying at my Auntie's place where we were being babysat and spending the night. She took us out to the video store where I got the choice to pick the movie off the new-release wall. Now being a young whippersnapper, and no parents were around, I picked out Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare since it was R-rated and there was a life-size standee of Freddy in the video store, which both scared me and intrigued me. I had seen the image around various video stores and on TV, and thought I was man enough to witness my first horror film.

Both of my older cousins had seen the film before, and so my Auntie rented the tape. We popped it in and I sat there for those next 90 minutes barely able to peer through my fingers. The Q-tip scene is what pushed me over the edge and forever haunted my nightmares. That night I slept (but of course actually didn't sleep) on the staircase in the hallway completely terrified. And for the next couple years I'd have many sleepless nights hoping a witch-Freddy riding on a broomstick would not be outside my window cackling away and I never did look at a Q-tip the same way.

12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I was five years old and my mother took me to my first haunted house. The two sets I remember best were Phantom of the Opera in addition to Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Watching the "actor" transform into Mr. Hyde was my favorite part as I believed it was 100% real. The whole experience was scary to a five year old, but I immediately wanted to go back through. We did not, but I will never forget that!

13. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Going over to my friends house and watching the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre at 12 years old. Changed my life forever.

14. MacabreFilms

MacabreFilms New Member

My first horror related childhood memory was when my family went to Universal Studios, Florida and saw the Alfred Hitchcock attraction. They played clips from The Birds and Psycho. I was in awe! I just knew I had to see this films in their entirety. Soon after we got home, my mom let me rent both films and my love affair with horror began.

I had loved (and hated) looking at the horror section of our video store as a child, but this was the first time I had ever really watched one all the way through.

15. Darkside

Darkside New Member

My first real horror experience was when my father took me to see "The Thing" in 1982 at the tender age of 6. I told him how much I wanted to go and see a horror movie with him as he and I used to watch the Creature Double Feature on Saturday afternoons on my local TV station. I bitched, moaned, complained, and threw fits for him to take me and enjoyed the movie all the way up to the point where the first "non-transformed" dog got the shotgun to the chest and then it was all down hill. I don't think I stopped sobbing and then pretty much forgot to sleep for the next 3-4 weeks but damn it if it's not one of my all time favorite movies. Not sure if it was because I was with my father, or if the sheer terror made me into the horror fiend I am today!

16. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

When I was 8 or so, renting the Friday the 13th movies every weekend with my cousin and his friend. Most of the time it was part 6, probably why it's a favourite now, but every now and then we would switch it up, sometimes with a non Friday related horror film. We would usually get a crap load of snacks,planning on pulling an all nighter, but we would be lucky to make to through both movies if even one of them, as we wouldn't start them until it was pretty late.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  17. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    There are so many films that bring back memories, but everytime I see Trilogy of Terror, I remembering watching it (when I wasn't supposed to at age 5 or 6) and being petrified by the last story. To this day, I love that film!!

18. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Okay, my top three in order.

1) Watching CREEPSHOW for the first time when I was twelve and at summer camp. Nearly every night the counselors would rent something on VHS that ended up being a lifelong favorite film...but this was a particular topper.

2.) I'm 13 and sleeping over at a friend's house with some buddies. We freak ourselves out by watching Sleepaway Camp...and THAT scene really mindfucked us.

3.) At 11, having a really hot babysitter tell me the entire stories of Friday the 13th Part 2 and Happy Birthday to Me. That is special!

19. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Well the first horror movie moment I remember the most as a child would have been when I was in second grade. I spent the night at a friends whose dad was very liberal on tv and movie viewing.

So we watched Friday the 13th part 2 on HBO- I had never seen an R rated movie before and it scared the crap out of me- but to this day it is one of my favorite horror/slasher movies. If my parents had found out I watched that movie at that age there would have been hell to pay! <:

Also does anyone in the Midwest remember Sammy Terry (Think his show was in Indy)? It was when they used to have those "every friday" late night horror shows and there was always a corny horror host to present the movie - he had a hilarious little spider that made little squeely noises and dangled from the ceiling. Anyways that is another fond memory I have - I do not believe they have anything like that anymore which is sad.

http://www.sammyterrynightmares.com/

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  20. Ninjalo

Ninjalo New Member

I have so many, but probably the eairlest and most innocent is watching Godzilla movies on Son of Svengoolie out of Chicago. Godzilla vs the Smog Monster was my all time fav. Svengoolie is still around today, though he is no long "The Son Of", just plain old "Svengoolie". I still watch him to day, and think of the good old days!