CONTEST #4: TALES from your Childhood

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Oct 26, 2010.

1. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

When I was a kid we only had 3 channels to watch until Channel 23-Wxxa came in from Albany. We lived behind a mountain in the middle of nowhere and we had rigged up a piece of an antenna which was nailed on the north side of the house. The north side of the house had no windows because that was 'the wind side', meaning that it was all wall, so no light could come out from the inside of the house. It also faced two miles of woods and that was it- no neighbors, no streetlights, zilch. The piece of antenna worked better on this side than on the roof- and on Friday nights from 1100 pm to 5 am saturday was Theater Bizarre. It would sort of be where this station (since it was independant at the same and would run off of movie packages and old sitcoms) would deposit films that were sent in their packages that really fit nicely there. First they would show something popular- everything from Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte to The Shuttered Room. The second film was usually something lesser known along the lines of old TV movies or Eurohorror (2 cases in point- Scream of the Demon Lover or A Force of Evil), and at the tail end at 430 in the morning you'd get something really old, like The Twonky or The Hypnotic Eye or Face of Fire (a personal fave). Well... every so often the signal would go out (God bless UHF) and you would have to get brave and run outside and wiggle the antenna at 3 in the morning and run back in and see if the TV picture was okay. It was fuzzy to begin with... One night during the film 'Rituals' I go running outside in my skivvies during a commercial break when the picture had gone out completely, flew around the side of the house, and planted my foot almost in the middle of an opossum out for an evening stroll. We probably both had the same facial expression at that moment when I came around the corner and we pretty much collided!!! Still got my antenna adjusted though, and went back in and finished watching that movie... Yep. Good old UHF...

2. scaryguy88

scaryguy88 New Member

My favorite memory was watching Monstervision, saturday nights on TNT. It was hosted by that guy Joe Bob Briggs, one night in particular I caught They live for the first time....amazing.

3. Caspar2112

Caspar2112 New Member

Two things I remember vividly was being in the living room while my parents had a bridge game in the dining room. I was supposedly being watched by my sister who decided she would rather chat on the phone. On the television I watched as a previously deceased man with bandages on his head and chest wandered around searching for his heart. The image and the words have been etched in my imagination ever since. It was just within the last few years or so that I saw the sequence and movie in question for all those years ago....The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue. From that first memory, I also loved watching Gregory the Grave walker every Saturday night who hosted classic films on a Rochester station. Good times.

4. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

gotta be a tie between:

1. Watching A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors at a friends place on a bootleg vhs tape. It was a summer afternoon, and I was probably about 8 years old. The thrill of actually watching a Freddy movie, was almost more than I could handle. So cool.

2. Watching an edited-for-tv version of Aliens on a crappy B&W tv with my mom. Also on a bootleg vhs. Again, so thrilling to be actually watching something like that, that I couldn't believe I was actually seeing it.

I honestly can't remember which one came first though.

5. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Member

My earliest memory of horror was when I was 6 or so.I saw that Return of the Living Dead was on TV during possibly UP ALL NIGHT and I asked my sister to wake me up at 12am or 1 am so I could see it and she tried to but I couldn't get up I was so tired.Thats my memory.

Sean

6. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

At 11 years old, a local TV channel played Friday the 13th part 2 uncut (still had commercials, but all nudity and gore from the R version was there) and my parents let me stay up and watch it. Loved horror movies ever since.

When I was a bit younger than that, the night of the first time I saw Poltergeist, a tree branch kept hitting my bedroom window inches from the bed (windy night), then a poster directly over my pillow fell on me. I almost shit myself but it was kinda fun after the fact.:D

7. Bluenoser

Bluenoser New Member

First horror memory. At my friend's birthday party, probably 1990 or 91... I was 7 or 8. We watched Monster Squad and it scared the ever-loving hell out of me. I COULD NOT watch horror movies until my teens, and I blame Monster Squad for it. I was scarred. I watch it now and I'm a little embarrassed, haha.

8. deepred

deepred Member

Watching Shocktober on the WB during October in the early 90s :D

9. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

I loved watching Black Christmas with my grandmother on Xmas eve in probably, '00?

10. Mitbox

Mitbox Member

I've got lots, but probably the one that I find more interesting was when we rented Carpenter's Prince of Darkness.
    By that time I was like 10 and had seen a lot of horror movies, specially all the Nightmares and Fridays, Chuckys, etc, mostly mainstream horror available on a small video store by that time (circa 93).

But that particular cover always caught my attention but never dared to rent it (theatrical poster: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e9/Prince_of_darkness.jpg). I finally grew some balls and rented it with my mom. Back in the house the VHS sat near to the VCR from morning through the afternoon and as the time to watch it was drawing near, my fear of it build up to the point of making me physically ill (almost making my want to puke) I was so damn scared, never felt like that before and never though I would be scared of a horror movie and what was worst, only scared of it by the cover, that stretched image of a face with bugs coming out of it and creepy teeth and eyes looking at me.
    Needless to say I didn't watch the movie and made my mother lose the money of the rental since if I wasn't watching it nobody was.

11. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

I must have been about seven,and really idolized my older brother,(as all annoying little bros usually do,and there was a seven-year age gap to top off my already poor chances of really "bonding" ).It was late,my Dad had gone to bed,and Mike and my older sister,Angie, were watching T.V. Back then,(around 1989)we had all of the premium channels due to the huge satellite dish towering over our back yard,pulling in all sorts of weird signals and giving us the oddest and coolest stuff to watch.

Nightmare On Elm Street 5: The Dream Child came on, and Mike said, "I don't think so. You've got to go to bed now. This'll give you nightmares." I looked at him in horror-I'd possibly rented worse during overnights with my Dottie (grandmother) and protested as much. He and I went back and forth,with Angie chipping in her two cents,until at last he relented,and told me I could stay.. if I turned my back and promised not to actually watch.I can still see the stern expression tugging at his teenage features as he tried to be kinda parental .

I readily agreed to this condition..because the doors of the fireplace I was facing were reflective glass,and gave me a nice,clear view of the carnage on-screen.

When I watched Freddy feed Greta her own guts,I was officially traumatized.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  12. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

One childhood memory that I won't forget is watching Night of the Living Dead for the first time. It obviously was very scary for me but the whole thing was just so.... awesome. Later on I find out it's local significance and I love the film to this day. Catching it on Saturday afternoons randomly was always a treat.

Another memory I had was being freaked out at the VHS cover of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2.

13. The Doctor

The Doctor New Member

When I was 12 years old, I sat down with my best friend to watch the original Night of the Living Dead. It was my first horror movie (I was a real coward), and it wound up turning me on to horror films from then on .

I still get nightmares from the Simpsons Halloween Specials, though. Go figure.

14. MadmanMarz

MadmanMarz Member

I would have to say the previews for Magic scared me a lot. I even remember being afraid of the ads in the movie section of the newspaper. Yet still I begged to see it at the drive-in with my parents. The previews ended up scarier than the film and I fell asleep.

15. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

One night when I was probably 7 or 8 my mom and I were watching a Friday the 13th movie, part 6 I think. My brother had gone to sleep already so it was just the two of us downstairs at around 8:30 or so. Suddenly we hear glass breaking in the kitchen upstairs. Naturally after watching Jason dice people for the last hour we were scared out of our goddamn minds. My mom was so scared she ends up calling the police. 10 minutes later the cop shows up and goes upstairs to check it out. He comes back down holding something in his hand - a little cheap stain glass bird that was attached to the sliding glass door with a little suction cup, broken in two from falling off and hitting the ground. We felt like total idiots of course, but I guess my mom was pretty scared by the movie because she sure as hell wasn't going upstairs to check it out.

16. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Not particularly horror, but it terrified me at the time. When I was about 6 or 7, I saw Terminator for the first time on one of the pay movie channels that for some reason we got for free at my house for years before the cable company realized they we're giving it to us (ahhh, I miss the days of them just flipping a switch by accident).

Anyway, the film scared the shit out of me and in my little brain I was terrified that someone might come looking for everyone that had my name and blow me away if I opened the door. :lol:

17. pieces35

pieces35 New Member

I would stay up late and watch "creepshow" on hbo killer times!!!!

18. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

I had been exposed to horror flicks on tv pretty early---my mom used to watch all of the early 70's made-for-tv movies like "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark", and "Cat Creature". I have very brief, almost 'snapshot-like' memories of some of these films, and others like "Voices" and that show "Circle of Fear"... I think that is what gave me my curiosity about horror films to begin with...BUT, my first real vivid memory is of the day that we were watching a Saturday matinee in my parents' room...The movie was the old 50's "The Fly", with Vincent Price.

My mom got up to go fix lunch, and as I was already getting scared (I couldn't have been more than 4) I wanted to go in the kitchen with her. She told me to keep watching, cause the movie would get really good--"Especially the end", she said...

SO I'm watching the movie, and totally getting to the point where I was hiding my eyes and getting really scared, and then the end scene plays out, where the fly with the human head is caught in the web...The spider shows up and I'm totally horrified...then the little fly with the head starts screaming "Help meeeee"...I came unglued. I ran into the kitchen screaming and crying, and my mom is like, "WHAT???"...

Anyway, to this day my mom denies having anything to do with my fascination for horror flicks, but it is from her I got it. She went to all the Bava flicks when she lived in Italy (even knew him), and was also a fan of the British Hammer horror movies...

19. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

My favorite childhood horror memory might of been browsing Jumbo Video's horror dungeon room and just drolling over all that menacing VHS cover art. I also remember fondly staying up to watch Friday the 13th on citytv late great movies and then hearing from the older kids in the neighborhood the next day that there was an uncut version playing even later that night. I doubt it was true but it got my imagination racing.

20. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I guess that's one way to look at it. I would say my parents were pretty good at letting me watch horror films when I was young. :)