CONTEST #4: TALES from your Childhood

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Oct 26, 2010.

1. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

The first interaction I had with horror was when I saw a TV spot for Child's Play 2 in Kindergarten. It scared me so bad that I had Chucky nightmares for about 4 years. Seeing that TV spot when I was 5 was scarier than any of the movies.

2. Rft183

Rft183 Member

The first horror movie I remember watching was Friday the 13th Part III. It must have been on television, because I don't think we had cable back then. I remember that I loved the movie, but I couldn't figure out who/what that thing was that jumped out of the lake at the end!

3. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Member

I remember as a kid I would love to go to our corner video store and check out all the cheesy /shlocky horror movie boxes (Some were VHS and some were beta...yeah back in the day). My mom liked horror movies so my parents and I would sit down and watch them about 2-3 times per month and some of them were fun and some were atrocious. I still have fonds memories watching them and having some good laughs and good scares.

4. Crazyrudie

Crazyrudie Guest

The movie I remember most from my childhood was Evil Dead 2. I absolutely loved it, i've seen it countless of times and till this day I watch it nonstop. That film alone is what turned me into a horror hound and haven't looked back since. Evil Dead 2 is in my top 5 and I'm not talking about top 5 horror films, i'm talking about top 5 of all time.

5. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

It was my mother who introduced me to horror. I can remember watching the Howling, Dracula 1979, Nightmare on elm street & the Friday the 13th movies at her side. It became our tradtion to watch the exploits of a certain hockey masked figure. Which is why I think the series means so much to me, not just because I love the character but the memories that go with it. I'm still hoping to convince my mother to sit down & watch the remake just for old times sake.

6. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I have very fond memories of Saturday morning and afternoon horror shows in Philadelphia. Creature Double Feature ran on UHF channel 48 and Dr. Shock's various shows ran on UHF Channel 17. I remember Robert Quarry's The Deathmaster running frequently on one or the other. And I still have a Beta video tape of highlights from that one--including Pico's regrettable decision to stake Khorda without opening the lid of his coffin and the MacGyver-like maneuver that saves him from Barbado. I used to watch those scenes over and over, much to the chagrin of my mother. She called that movie "garbage."

Fortunately she did allow me to see the entire Night Stalker series in its initial TV run. It definitely helped cement my horror fixation and my interest in writing as a career.

One of my first Bookmobile books was Movie Monsters by Thomas G. Aylesworth. It featured awesome pictures of many of the iconic Universal monsters--including a picture of Lugosi's Dracula that gave me nightmares. But I still stared at those pictures relentlessly. And I still have that book.

I don't recall getting to see the original Frankenstein, Dracula, or The Wolf Man on TV until a couple years after I got that book. So finally seeing them was definitely the realization of a big quest.

7. shift

shift Hot as shit!

Back in 1982 I was 6yrs old and my father was stationed in Germany and talk about having the best VCR on the market. It was a JVC and had a wired remote. Remember that?? ;)

Anyways, I remember it was probably about 1am, I just work up to get a glass of water. He had a get together with other guys from his platoon and they were watching a movie that were some guys running running scared crapless with lights on their helmets and something like a roar that was chasing them.

All I remember was the next scene were the guys that were running were dead falling off a cliff. So on ropes and some of them smashed at the bottom of the cliff. I ran in more room scared. About 2-week after that, I asked my dad what that movie was and he said "Prophecy" (1979). I don't know, but I had to watch it. To this day, guess what I own on dvd and still enjoy watching to this day? YUP!!
    What a great classic and good memories what scared the hoot out of me when I was 6yrs old. lol!!

8. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

My earliest clear horror memory from my childhood is being taken to the drive-in in the summer of 74 to see The Exorcist. I was not even 4 years old...and fell asleep before any of the action started...but I have a vivid memory of the imagery of the dogs fighting and the big demon statue. According to my mom, the drive-in gave them quite a bit of shit for bringing me into the movie...

9. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

My true introduction to the genre was probably staying up late on a weekend and turning the channel to one of the many local french tv stations that aired films uncut and uncensored. I was eight or nine and happened to fall upon a screening of Fulci's Zombie, I was both disgusted and exhilarated at the non-stop violence, gore and nudity and the zombie/shark scene and splinter through the eye gag remain some of my post potent memories of the genre to this day.

10. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

First childhood horror memory, watching Creepshow on BETA in our first house. I couldn't have been much older than 3 or 4, because we moved into the neighborhood they live now before I was 5. It didn't really scare me, but it's always stuck with me.

11. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

JAWS 2! I remember watching it in my living room the year after it came out in theaters and screaming at my grandfather who was a pussy to open his eyes. "They are going to fry that fish!"

Once again, another contest Rhett will throw my name out of the hat.

12. fart_mike

fart_mike New Member

seeing XTRO and Curtains at the drive-in and having the crap scared out my brother and i by an over-zealous concession clerk who loved to ham it up on the speaker when announcing the upcoming feature...

13. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

Coming home from school one day (must have been about 9) and watching Friday The 13th Part 2, which my older brother had rented. Had not seen anything like it before (I'd not been allowed to see Part 1) and it scared the living shit out of me. Loved it and haven't looked back since. :D

14. joltaddict

joltaddict New Member

I have three memories that probabally marked my taste in movies. I have no idea which came first but they all had to have happened between 7-8 years old (and the rest of this post will betray just how old and decrepid I am).

The first and most traumatic was a combo of Frankenstein and my Aunts. We were at my Uncles house and the menfolk were watching the old Universal Frankenstein and told me I couldnt watch it and I had to go in the kitchen where the wives were gossiping. I wanted to watch the fucking movie so I faked going in there and tried to watch the movie, but I watched it from around the corner by the kitchen door where I could hear my aunts, but they didnt know I was around. So Im catching snippets of their conversation and the flick. NOW of course I know what they were saying but I was like 7 so at the time I must have confused it all in my little prepubescent mind. They must have been talking about a kid that got molested in the bathroom at the mall and someone said the usual "they should cut his dick off". But I thought thats what the guy did. Well into late my late teens I had a reoccuring nightmare that Frankenstein was coming to cut my dick off. :(

Second, and at the same Uncles house I vividly remember seeing the TV ad for the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and thinking it looked like the coolest movie ever. And I was right. :D

Third, my parents used to go to the drive-in and pile blankets in the back seat and me and my brother would sleep through the whole thing. But once I woke up during The Little Girl Who Lived Down The Lane and I secretly watched it. It warped my fragile little mind.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  15. Nightbreed

Nightbreed New Member

sleeping over my cousin's house with like 5 of my cousin's watching Night Of The Demons and having my uncle go into the basement unknowingly and shutting off the power to the entire house and almost shitting my pants.

16. FilmFiend

FilmFiend New Member

I have a lot of early horror memories, but I think the one that freaked me out the most in my young age was seeing the 1978 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers at the local downtown theater before it closed. I remember going to DiCarlo's Pizza afterward ( a local place) and thinking stuff like "Are the people making the pizza dough Pod People?" I was probably sleep deprived for many months because I was so certain somebody planted a pod underneath the bed. I kept imagining the tendrils or whatever they were would wrap me up and trap me to bed and make me "fall apart" like Brooke Adams. I guess it would've been even more scary to find yourself walking around naked at a pod greenhouse like Brooke Adams. Anyway my fear and fascination I had for the movie at the time did not prevent me from making my mother buy me the Fotonovel for the film at the local mall bookstore.

17. ZoSo

ZoSo The Fucking King

Not my first memory, but will always remember... actually involved Tales from the Darkside.... When I finally got my own bedroom with a TV, I would always stay up way too late on school nights. I'd watch WPIX every night, first the Honeymooners, then Tales From the Darkside. I would always fall asleep during Tales and have awesome nightmares!

18. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

When I was around 4, my dad took me to see THE SHAGGY D.A. This was at a small town movie theater, and they would play the coming attractions for whatever movies were coming soon, even if it was a G-rated audience for something such as THE SHAGGY D.A. One of the coming attractions was for a movie called CARRIE.
    As soon as they started showing a bloody Sissy Spacek and the scary lighting of the prom [I remember thinking it was supposed to be Hell--we were a religious family] I started flipping out and demanding my father take me outside. Of course, by the time he figured it out, I'd seen almost the entire trailer.

I didn't actually see CARRIE until I was nearly a teenager, and of course by then I realized she was actually the least scary part of that movie.

19. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

My earliest childhood memory was watching "Sammy Terry" on late night Saturday's. I recall seeing "Godzilla Vs The Smog Monster" and part of "Evil Dead." I'm sure I've seen more, but that's all I can remember. I do remember being terrified by Sammy Terry at the beginning of the show due to how he made his appearance (creepy laugh, then coming out of a coffin). Sure it's cheesy to see as an adult, but as a child, I was terrified, and loved it!

20. Jason101

Jason101 New Member

I remember watching Child's play with my brother and mom when I was about six. While we were watching the movie, one of the lights in the room went out by itself. Since then, my mom considers horror movies "evil."