CONTEST #4: TALES from your Childhood

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Oct 26, 2010.

1. I have quite a few early horror memories, but one that always sticks out for me is the first time I watched A Nightmare On Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge. I saw it on late night TV one night when I was 7 or so and it freaked me out. That was the first time I saw any of the Nightmare films. I knew who Freddy was, but I'd never actually watched one of the movies. The bus ride to Hell scene at the beginning, and the scene where he comes out of Jesse's body to kill Ron really stood out to me. They still do actually. I think that's why it's still one of my favorites of the series.

I also remember renting horror movies (and NES games) every weekend from the mom & pop video store up the street. My parents were always pretty cool about letting me rent that stuff. That's how I first saw things like Romero's Dead films, Return of the Living Dead, The Friday the 13th films, The Shining, The Fog, The Howling, Child's Play and so on.

2. Bristlebane

Bristlebane New Member

My first memory of horror came from Friday the 13th. My father had been watching it and it was at the part where Alice is in the canoe and the music is all serene. And then jason jumped out of the water and grabbed her. To this day I remember the effect that had on me.

3. Spit

Spit Active Member

I saw poltergiest at a sleep over when I was 7 or 8 and thought it was the coolest thing to ever grace a VHS. All the rest of the kids had their hands over their eyes for most of the movie, but I was glued to the tube!

4. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    BEST: late May of 1981. That previous summer, my best friend told me of all this really cool movie his older brother had taken him to see. A movie called "Humanoids From the Deep". My horror viewing at that point had been Hammer, Universal, Godzilla and whatever goodies were on regular TV at the time and often late at night. This was something different. The horror movies coming out were featuring more adult situations, nudity and most all - shown violence. Special effects were getting good word of mouth and I wanted to this new type of film very badly. Being 10 years old has its moviegoing limitations, no doubt.
    In late May of 1981, that was about to change as my mother had originally promised to take me to see a double feature of THE FUNHOUSE and THE FAN. The night we planned to go, those films had ended their run.
    The alternate was HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME and it was to be my introduction to the new style of horror films that were popular and actually showed you the violent special effects. By the time the film wrapped up, I had seen lots of bloody special effects (sadly, it would be the last time since the film would be shorn of several scenes of violence once it hit VHS and cable afterward although retaining its R rating).
    I excitedly left the movie house with a new found love for horror films and without losing my love for the ones I grew up watching on TV.

5. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

I remember waiting for summer all year so I could start my routine of 2 horror rentals per night. I am the baby of the family by far so my parents were very lax in what i could watch. They took me to Poltergeist in the theatre when i was 3 years old. Anyway, each day of summer vacation my mother would take me to the local video store and let me pick out 2 horror movies. I loved walking the back wall of horror looking for the nastiest movies i could fine. The store had all of the boxes facing out and if it was available it had a little round metal tab hanging in front of it. I would spend about 20 minutes each day studying the same boxes over and over until finally making my decision. My parents would go to bed each night at 11 and then I would start watching. As my intermission between movies I would always have a frozen pizza. I can't tell you how many times I want to go back and relive one of those nights, or have a summer that matches those.

6. rhett

rhett Administrator

Thanks for the submissions, everyone. This might have been one of my favorite contests; it was quite special to share in all your nostalgia. Many of my same memories mirror a lot of yours.

The three lucky winners of TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE: THE FINAL SEASON are:

MisterTwister
    ZoSo
    Jason101

Send me a PM and to you these will be shipped!

7. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

Congrats Winners!

8. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Congrats winners

9. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Congrats dudes!

10. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Congrats to the winners! Some great stories throughout this thread.