Cord cutting

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by shape22, Apr 23, 2018.

1. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I've been an extremely dissatisfied Comcast customer for years. They've driven me near-insane with my constant bill fluctuations and terrible customer service, but I live in an area where there's no viable alternative except satellite TV, which doesn't appeal to me. Last week, they suddenly dropped the Big Ten Network with no real advance notification (apparently a blurb was buried in the small print at the end of last month's bill). That's it for me. Penn State has the largest active alumni association of any college ON EARTH--yet apparently Comcast thinks the Big 10 is a regional brand. Call it the straw that broke the camel's back.

I'm finally taking the plunge. Do you guys have experience with any of the myriad streaming services available? Sling TV doesn't offer the B10 Network, either, so I'm likely going to go with Playstation Vue or Youtube TV. Neither seems to offer the perfect channel lineup, but I'm tired of shelling out $240/month for tons of channels I never watch.

If you've already made the leap, I'd love to hear about your experiences. Thanks in advance for your input.

2. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

We don't have cable here, I don't miss it. I was staying with a friend yesterday and flipped through his cable for 10 minutes and couldn't find dick to watch. I'm not a sports fan, so I can't really help you with which would be good for that. But you can get a tremendous amount of other content with just a couple of services.

I have Amazon Prime (I mentioned this before, they have the best selection of older horror titles. Netflix gets more of the big new titles (if you count stuff like Friend Request and 47 Meters Down "big titles"), but Amazon has a much more interesting selection including lots of Arrow and Code Red titles: http://instantwatcher.com/a/search?page_title=Prime+Movies&sort=ratings_count+desc&view=synopsis&infinite=on&prime[]=2&content_type[]=1&genres[]=15
    Hulu - I basically use this as a Seinfeld looping channel, but you can keep up with most shows with this.
    Netflix - This is actually my roommate's account.
    PlutoTV - Free MST3K and Rifftrax channels
    YouTube - I watch a few shows on here for hours at a time when I'm working (Good Mythical Morning and Angry Video Game Nerd mostly).

So I really only pay for Amazon and Hulu which averages out to less than $20 a month.

3. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I have had Playstation Vue for quite some time now - I have the Core package that includes all the sports such as Big Ten network and NFL network. I used to pay 35.00 a month but it went up end of last year to 45.00 a month. I don't get my local channels in my city through Vue so I use my antennae for that.

It comes with free unlimited cloud dvr - but it will only store things for up to a month then automatically removes them and there aren't really any dvr tuning options with it - but its free. There are no taxes or fees and of course no contract. It seemed to have all the channels I wanted at the price I wanted - so it works for me. The guide interface is best on the playstation 4 but the guide isn't bad on the roku now since it got updated. I had a roku in every bedroom already so that worked out great. One thing is does not have that it used to have is the Viacom channels such as MTV, VH1, Comedy Central etc.

Also remember with any streaming tv service sports may lag just behind live tv - so if you have notifiers on your phone or something of when your team scores you could get the alert just before it happens on your tv which can be annoying.

I also have Amazon Prime which I mainly get for the shipping - the movies are just a bonus. I get HBO whenever Westworld or Game of Thrones is on.

4. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I cut the cable cord several months ago. I missed a great Boston Bruins regular season, but I just don't have the time or desire to waste $200 a month on cable anymore. Hulu and my Blu-ray collection are all that I need in terms of entertainment. I'll buy Westworld: Season 2 and Ash vs. Evil Dead: Season 3 when they come out on Blu-ray.

5. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Haven't had cable since I moved to UK almost 2.5 years ago. I only watch streaming via Netflix, Prime, BBC, and Channel 4 apps on my PS4. I'm happy to buy or rent seasons of TV if unavailable via "free" streaming. Overall, I've cut back on TV watching as a result.

6. sinister

sinister Active Member

I download stuff and buy a lot of discs (BD/DVD movies and music on CD) but I don't pay for or watch any TV services, I haven't even bought a TV licence for years as it's not required if you're not watching or streaming live TV. At least I'm no longer financing the Ministry of public enlightenment and propaganda (AKA the BBC).

7. Dave

Dave Pimp

You can do a lot with Amazon. I plan to subscribe to HBO through Amazon to watch Westworld S2.

8. shape22

Thank you all for your input! Obviously, this can be done. I appreciate you all taking the time to share your experiences. I feel better about this now.

9. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

My wife finally agreed for us to get rid of cable. We already have Netflix and Amazon Prime as well as a massive home video collection. It saves us just over $80.00 a month which is great. I didn't watch regular cable so I don't miss it at all.

10. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I cut the cord years ago and don't regret it at all. One of the best financial decisions I made for the house hold. I use antenna for local channels (I live 45 miles from the nearest TV stations, but am able to pick them up fine for the most part). We use youtube, amazon prime and netflix for our main streaming. I do use Shout Factory's app as well as it's free but with ads. Used to have Exploitation TV until that service quit working. Had sling for awhile but got rid of it. Seem to work fine but I wasn't using it that much.

11. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

My cable is packaged with my internet. Obviously, it'd be cheaper for just internet, but it's not that big of a difference. I love DVR as well. I rarely watch live TV, I record everything. Usually, if a show starts at 8:00, I'll record it and come in at 8:15 just to skip the commercials. Also I stock up a backlog on DVR, so I don't have to search for stuff to watch, I can go straight to what I want to watch. There's also no boot time, like with NetFlix or Prime. It's instantaneous.

Even though I don't rent pay VOD movies very often, there are occasionally horror event movies for me (such as Ghost Stories, which I will probably rent sometime this week) where my cable's OnDemand VOD is so much easier to use than Amazon or iTunes. In fact, I couldn't even find Ghost Stories on Amazon or iTunes, but it is on my OnDemand with the push of a button.

Also, sometimes it's just nice to have background noise. If I turn on NetFlix or a DVD, I'm going to sit down and actually watch it. But with cable, there are channels that are perfect background noise. I used to love Wipeout, and they used to play it continuously in syndication, but unfortunately they never play it anymore. Lately, my go-to has been Impractical Jokers, which plays 24/7 on TruTV. Perfect for doing chores or working, you can look up every so often and catch a 2-second bit, then go right back to what you were doing.

Is it worth the extra $$ each year? Probably not. But I do use it more than NetFlix or Prime.

Also, if you're looking for a horror centric streaming service, there is Shudder. $4.99 per month, or $3.99 if you lock in for a full year. You can even do a one month trial before locking in to pay anything. If you're a fan of indie / foreign horror, they have a lot of exclusives from the festival circuit you can't really find anywhere else (Lake Bodom, Dead Shack, Cold Hell, Among The Living, Shrew's Nest, etc). Downrange premieres this week, which I'm really excited for.

wago70 likes this.
  12. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

I've been in the hospital for several days, and Prime has been my savior. You are not kidding about their indie or obscure collection. I've caught up on tons of titles that I kept putting off for years: Happy Hell Night, Splatter University, Contraband, Voices from Beyond, Skullduggery...hell, Prime even has The Changer/Nostril Picker! I've sampled giallos, horror trash, and even revisited the great Batman animated series from the early 90's.

Shit, Bone Tomahawk is included with Prime. Watched it for the first time this afternoon.

Workshed likes this.
  13. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I hope you have a speedy recovery delicreep.

14. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

This is what I was about to point out. No tonly does Prime have a lot of old horror flicks, but I can add/remove HBO and/or Showtime whenever I need to watch a new series like Westworld, Game of Thrones, or Twin Peaks. It's very easy and a LOT cheaper than traditional cable service.

I only have Prime and Netflix (and a monster DVD/bluray collection) and haven't watched network TV in decades. Not sure how to approach the Big 10 issue.

15. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

Thanks. I had my appendix out on New Year's Eve and then had some internal infections from that pop up a month or so later. After two stints in the hospital in April(yay for my district's health plan), I am finally over the hump.

And, I got to experience another new procedure: abscess drainage via interventional radiology. Having a needle threaded through my abdomen and into my psoas muscle while conscious was...interesting.

russweiss and buck135 like this.
  16. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

You can also get an over the air indoor antenna to get all of your local channels in HD for FREE.

zbinks likes this.
  17. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Yikes. Here's hoping the rest of the year gets significantly better. :)

18. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

A well located antenna is generally better for local channels than than what you'd get through your cable / satellite provider, anyways.

• Better picture quality, as direct OTA broadcasts are often less compressed than what the cable / satellite companies will provide.
    • Less interference / dropouts / broadcast lag as there are fewer points of contact between the transmitting station and your home. OTA broadcast signals are also less susceptible to weather / solar interference than satellite transmissions.
    • More local channels / digital sub-channels. You're limited only by what your antenna and tuner will pick up, not by what your cable / satellite provider offers.

SaviniFan likes this.
  19. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I get around 30+ channels with my 50 mile antenna.

20. shape22

Thanks! I ordered an antenna that's been here since last week, but I haven't gotten around to monkeying with it yet. I'm in a fringe area between two major cities that are a little too far away--but, for $25, it's worth it to see what I might be able to pick up.